4 replies to this topic

#1 AggieB

AggieB

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:01 PM

My mother's wedding photo is torn & I thought I would have it restored for her. I brought it to work where we have a high quality scanner that is large enough for the photo (11x14). It's a gorgeous old sepia print with some tinting on it. When I scanned it (600 dpi, as recommended by the restoration artist because of the size), there are all these little circles scattered regularly over the surface. I can't see or feel anything on the actual photo. I used photoshop cs3 with silverfast scanning software & scanned it to tif format. Has anyone any experience with this kind of thing? I've never seen it before.

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

#2 PBarnes

PBarnes

• Members
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

I have had lots of spots show up that weren't easily visible to the naked eye, but I've never had anything regularly spaced over the image. My only suggestion would be to try scanning at a lower dpi, like 300, and see if that helps any. With a photo that large, I would think 300 would be plenty for restoration, but then I'm no expert.

#3 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:10 PM

Sometimes on old prints the finish gets "shiny" spots and they show up oddly when you scan. I don't know if this is what you're coming across, but you could try re-scanning even at the same DPI and see if they still show up. You might turn the photo 180 degrees, just for good luck???
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:23 PM

I presume you've cleaned the photo--canned air to blow off dust and debris, at least. I'm also presuming you've cleaned the glass on the scanner. How large are these spots? Can you post an example?

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
Scrap10-Blinkie.gif  SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#5 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,352 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

I've had that happen and it usually is from the finish on the photo. I've also found scanning at a higher dpi can help. I know, it is an enormous file. I usually scan my heritage photos at 600 dpi- higher if they are small, 300 if they are big. I've also printed photos that scanned that way and none of the spots showed in the print.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users