Does Anyone Use Mozy?

I currently use Carbonite on both my computers (older desktop and my Laptop that I run PSE on and do most of my Scrapbooking) I got a 1 TB EHD for Christmas (yay for my DH) my goal is to clear the 50+ GB of ScrapGirls supplies off my HD of my laptop to make things run more effiecently. I am weary of course because I know the EHD's can fail. Carbonite does not currently offer backups on EHD I had heard the Mozy does, is anyone using this service I would feel so much safer if I did transfer all my SB supplies to the EHD if I had the online back up too! Thanks for you information in Advance.

I have all my photos , sg collections, layouts on a 1 TB end and I hav scone this for a few years w Mozy backing it up it works great If u disconnect your end as I do each week when I take it w me when I babsit dgs u must remember to suspend the backup when the end is not connected

Feel free tonpm me with any questions

I recommend Mozy

i had mozy the past year and it fustrated me to the core. after being a carboniate user for a couple of years!

The program is hard to figure out at first.

My mozy never even finished the inital back up!!! after a year subscription. It kept having an "error" and said had to restart.. ugh. with life this year i didnt have time to really sit down and start searching for answers. It didnt like my network drive, i didnt want it to back up my network drive... yet it was a awful loop because it kept insisting on backing it up.

i also didnt like the fact i couldnt "see" what was backedup, schedualed, and not backed up....

Im not renewing with mozy.

I know that Ro has another company she recommends... i might give that one a try.

HUGS

Angela N.

I had Carbonite for two years and had to at least partially restore twice during that time. It was really a pain in the you know what. I've had Mozy for almost a year now. I have not had to do any restore from it so I can't testify as to how well it works. I do have a 500 G EHD that is backed up. I've only disconnected it once and that was when I went to St. Louis for the Scrap Girls meet-up. I didn't stop the back-up on it and I think it's still backed up. As Angela mentioned, it is a little disconcerting to not be able to check to see what is backed up on Mozy. Maybe there is a way, but I just haven't looked for it.

I've always used Mozy for online backups because I used to keep all of my scrapbook supplies on an EHD. I have experienced some issues with Mozy but I've always gotten great technical support + customer service from them. When I have a problem, I can chat with an agent live and one time, I even got phone assistance because we just couldn't figure things out. I also just finished restoring my data from my laptop which is in the shop right now and it took awhile. There's an easy way and a hard way to do it. The first time, I did it the hard way because I needed my scrap stuff ASAP. Later, I got tech support and now the easy way works. I can tell what Mozy has backed up because the file will have a little green check mark on it. The ones still needing backup have red checks. All in all, not a bad service but it's not without it's problems.

I have used Mozy for over a year and it's worked great for me. I did have to do a restore once because my hard drive crashed and the service was great. (I did not download the restore because it would have taken too long so I ordered the restore on CD. It took a little longer than expected because of the volume of data but when I got it they had sent a new EHD with all my restored data on it!) I highly recommend Mozy!

I used Mozy for my EHD and highly recommend it. If you want to see what has been backed up there are 2 ways: in your Windows Explorer you will see a green dot with a check inside beside all items Mozy has backed up (first you have to select this option in your settings). Secondly, at least in my Windows Explorer in Vista, at the bottom of the list of all the drives, etc, there is a folder called "MozyHome Online Backup" which shows me all my files which have been backed up. HTH I had also tried Acronis (recommended) and ran into trouble with it continually 'disconnecting' from their server, and the backup process was soooo much slower than Mozy. Since I had a computer crash and had over 160Gb of files to backup - it was going to take forever. Mozy did this in 3 days.

Just wanted to agree with the gals as far as seeing the little green check marks to know things r backed up and also the online chat that u can do w a techie I have used it several times often in the night and u can get help or your question answered I would agree at first I didn't understand how it all works so I would suggest when u get started using the online support and they can get u started they also with your permission can go on your computer and u can see them working which I find very helpful

As ashleigh said nothing is problem free but I find mozyndoes work well and if u get a problem at least there is support to help u

Pat, I am almost sure u cannot disconnect your end without first suspending it by hitting the suspend in Mozy unless of course when u were away your computer was turned off . That would work too otherwise I have been told when Mozy goes on to backup any new files if it doesn't c the end then it thinks u deleted these files. It's not terrible but it does have to re associate those fiches when you reconnect the end if you hadn't suspended and that takes longer than a reg backup

Interested what u decide to do and hownit works out fornu so keep us posted

maybe my issue was that i could never get past the initial backup. Im glad they have checks to help you know.

I never did try support because im to dang busy. I just started to use my network drive (which does a mirror backup) so i could utilize my time bettter.

:) lol

Bobbie, it was my understanding that they don't delete those backed-up files for 30 days, so if you are reconnected within that time, you'd still have them backed-up.

Tech support is another issue that was a real problem with Carbonite. It wasn't too bad when we had Len paying attention to our message board here but I think he left the company. There were several times when I tried to get customer support from Carbonite and I either would have to wait days or I would not get a response at all. Very frustrating. I don't think I've contacted Mozy's customer support but it sounds like it is more responsive.

Thanks for all the info everyone! I think I am going to go for it! I just renewed Carbonite for my other computer but the laptop is coming due at the end of February and I think I will switch it over to Mozy so that I can do my EHD. So this service is included in the basic monthly one right it isn't extra to do a EHD?

it isnt extra to do the ehd...it just is extra for each computer...so i only back up from one computer, my dt and i back up the ehd which i use with my dt and my lt..

and pat...yes they do keep your files for 30 days but they explained to me when they dont see them , as in you didnt suspend backup or turn off computer it thinks they are deleted ( though you could still retrieve them if you needed to ) but for backup purposes when it does the next back up when you reconnect the ehd it has to go thru something they called reassociation so the backup takes longer.

good luck and let us know shannon what you think once you try mozy...

Just be prepared for the initial backup...it can take a very long time! I backed up 105 GB of scraping supplies and pages, and it took almost 6 weeks. And thats with my laptop on 24/7! After that, backups of new and changed stuff take much less time, obviously.

I do not like to have my laptop backup automatically, because it slows mine down a bit while it goes. So I suspend backups after each update, and then in a week or two (after I have bought new stuff, or worked on a few pages) I will start another update manually...at a time when I will not be using my laptop for a bit. If you have a faster computer, this probably is not necessary.

I do not have an EHD on my laptop, but I used to have Mozy on my desktop with an EHD. And I learned the hard way to suspend the backups on the EHD if you are going to disconnect the EHD for any length of time. I had to go thru the whole initial back up AGAIN! (But I only had 50 GB or so of stuff at that time...)

Just throwing in my 2 cents (after Shannon has made up her mind) but I have to agree with the other gals using mozy - I love it. I have all SG stuff on ehd and it is great. I have mozy backing up both ehd and important info on c drive. I have not had any issues with mozy. I have not had to do a restore, but a few of my friends have and they swear by mozy. HTH.

I think that Ro uses Carbonite, if I remember our conversation that we had recently correctly. She does recommend Mozy though, for this function alone - that you can back up an ehd. I just signed up myself, although I have used it in the past. I've had good experience with them, although that initial backup is a doozie. Thanks for all the great tips!

• 4 weeks later...

Thnaks again everyone! My initial backup completed fairly quickly 5 days LOL and seems to be running smoothly! I cancelled Carbonite and they gave me a refund because they billed me already so that is very cool. I am happy being able to have my EHD backed up and transfer so much off of my HD on my LT!

Thnaks again everyone! My initial backup completed fairly quickly 5 days LOL and seems to be running smoothly! I cancelled Carbonite and they gave me a refund because they billed me already so that is very cool. I am happy being able to have my EHD backed up and transfer so much off of my HD on my LT!

glad to hear it is working out for u

Archived