Acdsee Has "encountered An Error And Will Close"

bjc

i scrapped last night..things were fine...this morning i go to open acdsee and first it says it cant find the drive where all the stuff is located...which is strange..ehd is on and everything there is fine... then i close again and it opens with it has encountered an error and will close...i shut down my computer then restarted...still same error..

the support at acdsee stinks...you have to email and then hear back in a few days with it usually being something that is misconstrued cause it is email..not live...oy oy

i am beside myself cause i was up early and want to scrap...any one have any ideas...how to fix..what to do???

i have vista pc...

and acdsee 12 which i have had for a while

i just love scrapping with acdsee...all my stuff is so well organized and easy to retrieve and see ...but these problems and lack of support at acdsee make me pull my hair out...

love any help or ideas

I sympathize with your pain at Acdsee support. It's horrible. I've seen the error before, but usually, shutting down the software will fix it. Can you start at the top & navigate back to the drive?

they should be ashamed to have such poor support .. and i wish i could think of anothe4r way to organize that works as well..cause when it is working it makes scrapping a breeze

i have mozy backing up and maybe that is the problem... does anyone know what the files are that i should be backing up that are the sorting info from acdsee? i just want to make sure i have those backed up...

I have a different version of ACDSee but you might want to confirm that the drive letter assigned to your EHD didn't change. ACD is fussy in that regard. Google "Disk Management" and "Vista" to find out how to access the disk utility.

About your question on backup, the ACD database is stored at the location that was specified during installation. With my version, I can see where that is in ACD under Tools>Options>Database>Database location. I include that folder in my daily backups. I also make sure I run the backup utility that is built into ACD on a weekly basis and save it to a different drive. That way if the main database becomes corrupt, I'll have something to restore from.

I have a different version of ACDSee but you might want to confirm that the drive letter assigned to your EHD didn't change. ACD is fussy in that regard. Google "Disk Management" and "Vista" to find out how to access the disk utility.

About your question on backup, the ACD database is stored at the location that was specified during installation. With my version, I can see where that is in ACD under Tools>Options>Database>Database location. I include that folder in my daily backups. I also make sure I run the backup utility that is built into ACD on a weekly basis and save it to a different drive. That way if the main database becomes corrupt, I'll have something to restore from.

thanks for trying to help me.... the ehd is still in same place... and i cant open acdsee so i cant go under tools etc..but i am pretty sure i know i made a file on my ehd..it is called acdsee database and has a folder in it called default...is that it...just worrying if i have to do a reinstall dont want to lose all my organizing tags.... i am so mad that there isnt really anyone responding to my email which is how it usually is and maybe its even worse due to the holiday time

You might want to try asking for help in the ACD community forum.

ACDSee PhotoManager 12 Forum

Also, there's another digi site with quite a bit of good ACD info. Google "ACDSee and Heidi" to find it.

Good luck

thanks for your continued good care..i tried the forum this morning but i had to register and they havent sent me a password so maybe they are3 closed for holiday week..ugh... i will try to see if i can find heidi she was very helpful in the past but i think she isnt doing this anymore...will give it a try and again thanks so much

I had ACDSee... and had that error so often, it was ridiculous. There is a fix... trouble is, I can't remember what it is. Do a search on the Scrapgirls Site for ACDSee, and see if something comes up? Anyway, I finally trashed ACDSee, and installed Picassa -- it took some getting used to (I loved ACDSee!), but that's what I use now.

I had ACDSee... and had that error so often, it was ridiculous. There is a fix... trouble is, I can't remember what it is. Do a search on the Scrapgirls Site for ACDSee, and see if something comes up? Anyway, I finally trashed ACDSee, and installed Picassa -- it took some getting used to (I loved ACDSee!), but that's what I use now.

i tried picasa but it just wasnt as good so i am hoping i can get thru this mess and resume using acdsee as it was great.... i will try to search on sg but i am not that good with the searches...hope i can find something...

Have you tried rebooting the computer? I've had occasional issues similar to this with ACDSee but so far rebooting has been all I needed to do. Good luck! I too have had good advice from Heidi in the past. That's too bad it sounds like she's not doing ACDSee help anymore:(

Why does ACDSee say "ACDSee has encountered an error and will now close"?

From knowledge base:

Answer

thanks ..i have my IT guy coming over to see if there is anything he can figure out...i will show him this cause i dont really understand it and am afraid to do anything and make it worse...lol thanks so much

UPDATE ok...ladies..here is the latest ...my IT guy just left..from reading the info on the web forum we figure that something is definately corrupt in the data base....so we used the link of some key registry thingy ( my computer terms are not correct..lol) and then got the program to open with a database that was on my hard drive ( not the one i was using on my ehd cause i like to scrap with edh and lt and dt so that is why i had database on the ehd) i then found a backup i had done of the data in october.... so we used it to restore with that backup..the latest ...being oct...so i lost data from oct till now....so that is better than losing it all...and will slowly go about retagging....so for now at least i can use the program... anyone have any better ideas i would love to know..i am so frustrated by the lack of support response you get from acdsee website and the community forum...nothing beats the community here at sg and now i am just spoiled!

in addition to losing some of my tagging and having to go back and retag i am now using the database that is embedded on c drive so i cant use my LT....i dont want to just move this database folder over to my ehd and mess things up any more so i am looking to find out how to use the LT and DT with the ehd and acdsee so if you have info on that pleasae let me know that too

thanks for the help and support here..

and another thing i learned is i guess i better backup and optimize more often... at least i had done it in oct..so i will be thankful for that..

Thanks for the update Bobbi; I'm glad you didn't lose it all. Good note to backup and optimize more often. I'm pretty good about backup but terrible at optimizing. Off to do that when I finish this. I'm saving the info off the link from Westina for my own future reference. Hope I never need it!

That's one reason why I dumped ACDSee. Just too unstable, and nearly impossible to switch it over to an upgraded computer. I now use Windows Photo gallery to organize all my supplies, picasa for all my photos. It works out great for me!

I'm glad you got all (mostly?) fixed up, though.

Nancy

That's one reason why I dumped ACDSee. Just too unstable, and nearly impossible to switch it over to an upgraded computer. I now use Windows Photo gallery to organize all my supplies, picasa for all my photos. It works out great for me!

I'm glad you got all (mostly?) fixed up, though.

Nancy

i think i have tried those but not sure...i know i tried picasa for scrapping and just didnt find it worked as well as acdsee ...i would gladly scrap ( pun intended) acdsee if i could find a substititute... how does windows photo gallery work? any mb on how to use that ? i would love to know

I have WPG on my Vista machine.

Just open it up, and direct it to watch whatever files you want. I spent a couple of evenings in front of the TV sorting files. You can make up any tags you like, and just drag and drop.

I'm not the most puter literate person out there, and I figured it out, so I'm sure you can do it! It's just a matter of the time spent sorting... I've never missed ACDSee, even though I used to use it exclusively.

Let me know if you have specific questions, and I'll get you more info, if you like :)

Nancy

ADCSee is so annoying when there is a problem, but I've tried Picassa & the stupid thing takes over my computer. Has anyone used the standard Windows 7 tags & searches as their main one? I've had pretty good luck with searches if the search word is in the title, but haven't invested time in the tagging.

• 4 weeks later...

i am back with more saga of acdsee...when it works i love love love to scrap with it... but now i got a new computer..did what it said..it opened fine once then back to getting error message and my old computer which i really didnt do much to other than move it to dd place and hook it up with new monitor...is now getting error message... so i am pulling my hair out again...and really trying to figure out how can i scrap without acdsee..... please please tell me what you do to find all the things you want for your lo....i love that i can easily search by a category i have created and see everything all together AND figure out what would look best on a lo or try a bunch of things...what other program or way can i do this???? love to hear from you

I just wanted to let you know that i have one computer with vista and one with windows 7 ( new just got it) and all my photos and scrapping supplies are on an ehd that i share between the two computers...so i am looking for a way to organize that works with the two computers....picasa cant save the info ...so i would have to tag it twice , for each computer... and also doesnt show all the stuff together unless you make some album... would be interested in hearing all about how everyone scraps ... how do the designers do it???

Elisha I have got picasa loaded onto my EHD and it has been working fine until a couple of nights ago and I am experiencing the same thing as Bobbie.

Now when I go to open the EHD it isn't working at all. I don't know if it is picasa or the EHD. Maybe I have over loaded picasa because it said "picasa is compacting" and then after that I started losing things.

Ooooh just so frustrating. i think I will have to get my IT man in to see if he can sort it out!!

Oh Bobbie I am right there with you in the frustration department. I am on a mac which is suppose to be lots better for these things!! Oh well just goes to show you got to back up about ten times and then maybe, just maybe, you will be safe!!! Can you guess that, that is frustration talking!!! :disappearing-smilie:

Archived