Jumpstart January 2011!

DDecker

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fri 21st -Task 18

Do you have a template, technique or embellishment that you use with creating EVERY layout? Requirement: Share with us what the product or technique is and how or why you use it so often. How do you make it uniquely yours?

TASK 18: for every layout i use Lr to adjust my photos....this makes a big difference i feel... I make the adjustments myself and also use presets and then tweak the presets too.... this is the only thing i could say i use for every layout.... as a second choice and a new one at that i would say i have started to use heidi's shadow action on a lot of my layouts... it makes amazing shadows and especially when i want something to look really lifted off the page i use it with the warp tool....

Task 17: I scraplifted Amanda McGees Legos layout for my

Snowman layout

Task 18: I don't think i use anything on every layout but drop shadows. I really like adding the little shadow for a more realistic look. I had just been using the default till I bought the scrapbook secrets revealed and learned i could change the color to make the shadows looked even more real. As far as making it my own. i suppose it is just the direction i chose and length of the shadow.

Task 18. Strokes

I use the 'Stroke' feature on every single layout that I do. Either on the background paper, fonts, embellishments or the photo. I find that it really makes my layouts look 'finished' I do them all sizes and colors.

Task 18

One thing I do with every layout is maximize my finished layout to full size on screen before I do the final save and upload to the gallery. I like to have an idea of what my layout will look like when viewed in the gallery.

In PSE 7 I close both the project and palette bins, then I click on the maximize button of the window my layout is in. Then I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to enlarge the window to give me a full size view on my screen.

In PSE 9 I just click on the maximize button of my layout window, and then I use the scroll wheel on my mouse to enlarge the the window to give me a full size view.

These views give me a good idea of what my layout will look like in the gallery.

Task 17: One thing I really like about Thao Cosgrove's Lo's is her use of scripture as journaling or word art. That inspires me because I want others to be able to look at my work, now or later, and see my faith woven through the pages.

Task 18: One new thing that I've picked up and now use on every LO is Heidi's new basic shadow action. These shadows are so realistic. I need to spend time learning how to use the adjustable feature. I do love that you can really play with these and get them 'just right'.

Mon 17th -Task 14:How well do you know your camera? Take at least 4 photos using different settings on your camera and download them to your computer. You will be using one or more of these photos for an upcoming layout task. Working on this one now- had battery issues ........

Tues 18th -Task 15 Browse the Designer galleries for a layout to scraplift. Requirement: Leave love on at least 5 layouts and link your "to be scraplifted" layout to the game thread. Done. Scraplifting Caroline's The Tree

Mon 17th -Task 14:How well do you know your camera? Took may pictures using many settings. Not very good yet, but found a lot of setting I didn't know I had, plus learned how to reset. Learned how to take continuous pics. Lots of pictures of sleeping dog and DH.

Will post LO and catch up on the remaining tasks, plus LSL on those new LOs since I last looked in the gallery.

Task 18 -- I think the only technique or product I use in every layout would be shadows, usually Sarah Batdorf's ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Basic Shadows 6501. I love that they make shadowing a one double-click process. Sometimes I change the size of the shadow to fit the item I'm shadowing even better.

Still haven't researched my favorite designer - but I am ready to post about task 18. I use shadows on every layout, I can't imagine not using them somewhere. I used to use Sarah's basic shadows most, but I am really digging Heidi's new realistic shadow action. They are gorgeous & add so much depth!

I really don't have a favorite designer, but I settled on Amanda Sok since I scraplifted her LO for our recent LO assignment. :)

I love her edgy, funky, & fun style. It is evident in her LOs, her designs, & her photos. I really relate to the grungy but sweet look showcased in so many of her pages.

This LO shows some of the style that draws me in.

There is one on Saturday as long as I don't think Saturday is Sunday like I did today!

Sat 22nd -Task 19

Leave a welcoming comment on 6 new members profiles and don't forget to check out their galleries while you are there. Not sure how to find new members? Check out the Meet and Greet forum or click the Members tab and then sort by Join date. New members are found on the LAST pages.

Task 16: Harry and Friends.

Task 16 for Jumpstart January: Photo from Task 14 (learn your camera;) technique from Task 13: Pen Tool (stroked Doris C's Paint Strokes Brush on the pen tool path on the outermost border;) Scraplift from Task 15: Caroline K's The Tree.

This was a great task! I spent hours on the Pen Tool, trying out different brushes and pattern fills along the path. I had a cute border of paw prints, but it was just a little too busy. It was really fun to learn, though!

Thanks for the great challenges, Dee!

Finished Task 17 - Brandy Hackman is one of my favorite designers (let me tell you it was really HARD to pick one because I love them all and have too many favorites!). As I was perusing her gallery I realized that her LOs have a very strong family focus. I love that she is capturing all those family memories. Since that is a big reason I scrap it is the one thing I love the most about Brandy. Here is one of her LOs that I love and that captures a multi-generational memory. Pennies on the Train Tracks

Task 18 - I use shadow styles and/or actions on nearly every LO I do. I know how to make my own shadows, even to make shadows on separate layers, but the SG styles and actions save me so much time! I have to smile when I get a comment on a LO about the shadows and all I had to do was click a button to make a great shadow. There are so many that I use that I may miss linking some of them here but I'll try. I love that for the actions that add a separate layer I can still transform the shadow to give it more or less depth. That really allows me to make it my own. Here are the links to the ones I use most often:

ScrapSimple Tools - Styles: Basic Shadows 6501

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Shadow Layer 6501 PSE

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Deep Shadows 6501 PSE and PS Biggie

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Realistic Shadows - Firm Materials PSE 11302

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Realistic Shadows - Basic 11301

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Mega Lift III-Linear PSE Biggie

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Mega Lift II-Circular PSE Biggie

ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Mega Lift I - Squared Biggie

I believe all of these have versions that will work with PSE and PS. I use PSE so most of the links may take you to the PSE version.

Task 17: I don't have a favorite designer! I am not being diplomatic- LOL. I like something different about every single desingner. I love the great mix of styles found among the designers. But, one thing I learned about Trish Yochum is that her great-great Grandfather serve and was wounded in the Civil War. She has a great layout and even has a photo of him! Here is her LO: Great Great Grandfather at 2nd Battle of Bull Run. I also love her Civil War Collection Mini! I had not seen this LO before the challenge, so it was a great find!

Archived