Jumpstart January 2011!

DDecker

Task 18:

Before I finish a LO, I try to make a habit of checking/adding shadows, checking to see if a levels or curves adjustment would improve the LO, adding a photo filter (often red, which seems to tone down a lot of my LOs) and then running Heidi's Clarify Action on the flattened jpg for upload to the gallery (after saving a psd version.). I use the built in stop Heidi added and on the new layer thumbnail add a layer mask. Then I try lowered opacity on the jpg, usually 75%, 50% and 25% and often choose one of those. If I like the 100% sharpening effect on most of the jpg, I can use the layer mask and with a soft brush at a lowered opacity can brush back in some of the "softness" or unsharpened look. I love the way it keeps the glittery, metallic, and sharp photo look and also the sharpened font. It's pretty amazing! I also do a final look to see if a brush or edge would improve the LO, and usually decide that it would!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task #17

Brandy Murry is my favorite designer. I can't even tell you why I just like her stuff alot!!

Here is a page I like of hers JingleBerry titles

Something to share about her... She is currently living in the Netherlands... How cool is that!!

#18 A technique I use in every layout. I would say is to use drop shawdows on everything and also to touch up colour to use the way I want by changing hues, satureation etc.

Task 17 - still a work in progress

Task 18 http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&section=viewimage&img=112525- Favorite Designer - by Brandy Murry. Love the embellishment clusters that she often uses on her lay outs!

Task 19 - that would have to be styles. I rarely have a LO without several styles. I'm addicted. Don't do anything unique with them!

Mon 24th -Task 20

Do you have old photos that you have or have had scanned? Are you planning on scanning photos or slides and not started yet? We will be using older photos on an upcoming layout so it’s time to get started! Search the boutique for word art that complements your photo. Requirement: Link the word art product to the game thread. We understand that not everyone is has or is able to purchase products from the boutique so feel free to find one that would work and post it even if you are unable to use it on the upcoming layout.

So how old is old? To me anything more than a year or so that I haven't scrapped yet is old! LOL I only ask because to be honest I have already scrapped all photos of mine that would/could be considered heritage photos. I will take a look to be sure though...

Task 18: I use Brandy Murry's SSTool Action Mega Lifts I love how I can give a photo, a paper, a flower, a button, a ribbon that bit of lift. I change the how dark the shadow to make it stand out less or more depending on what looks most natural in the LO. I own all three of her lifts, they are the best purchases I've made.

Task 19: Done!

Task 20: I recently was given a bunch of digital photos from my mom. I think that Ro's Families are forever word art would go great with my photos.

Mon 24th -Task 20

Do you have old photos that you have or have had scanned? Are you planning on scanning photos or slides and not started yet? We will be using older photos on an upcoming layout so it’s time to get started! Search the boutique for word art that complements your photo. Requirement: Link the word art product to the game thread. We understand that not everyone is has or is able to purchase products from the boutique so feel free to find one that would work and post it even if you are unable to use it on the upcoming layout.

What if we having nothing to scan? No slides or old photos?? Than what do we do for the layouts??

Task # 5 completed.

I use PSE9 and I chose the 'Clipping Mask' and I finally learned how to use it. Since I couldn't find any real help in PSE for this, I used Ro's Secrets and hot diggity dog, I learned how to use the tool.

And yes, I will definitely use it in the future. It's really easy and lots of fun.

Task #9 -- Completed.

Journal about the photo in task 8:

I love taking photos out my dining room window during different times of the year. Since they built the four story house next door to me, I don't see much of the park across the street anymore. However, I do see the tree tops and a little bit of the park. The photo was taken of the tree across the street from me, not in the park. I just happened to catch some birds in the leafless branches of the tree. Some were just perched there while others were swooping down and flying about.

Tue 25th -Task 21 - Layout Requirement

Create a layout using a photo that was taken at least 10 years ago and the word art from task 10 and make sure to point out to us your product/technique from task 18. Requirement: Upload layout to the Jumpstart January gallery and link It back to the game thread.

Archived