Organizing Paper Templates

B&K Mom

I've recently purchased a BUNCH of SS Paper Templates. I already had plenty in my files, but now I've got tons more. Right now I have all of them in one big file called (get this...) Paper Templates. If I want a particular one, I either search by designer initials (thanks SG for such a sensible file naming system), or scroll through them one-by-one. That can be a tedious process.

So I'm thinking about different possibilities for filing all these. I use Ro's system for papers and have them sorted by color. I can search for particular designers/collections easily. I 'm thinking about using a similar system for my paper templates by categorizing by STRIPES, DOODLES, FLORAL, DOTS, FABRIC, TEXTURE, EDGING etc.

Do you have a way that works well for you? Have you done something like I'm talking about? What challenges do you have with organizing your templates?

Hi Debbie

I have a ton so SS temps too, I have them in a larger file called SS Paper Templates then I rename the individual files for the name of the set ex: blenders, line dry, florid etc. I haven't gone as far as to make separate file names like you mentioned but it would be helpful I bet! I have my embellishments organized into those type of files.

These i keep by their original folder... ie abr_sspaper_floridInk .... In a folder under TEMPLATES called PaperTempaltes. I use the marketing images in the folders so i can see them.... its easier on me! lol.

I leave them in folders by kit name--in a main folder called SSPaperTemplates. Sorting them further would really confuse me. I generally know what kind of paper they are by the name...or a quick peek can help me if I can't.

Same here. I've thought about sub-dividing them, but chose to leave it. Since it works for me, why change it?

Like Kim, I keep them in folders by kit name, then in one main folder named SS Paper Templates. I agree, sorting further would probably confuse me and I'm already confused enough. :wacko: LOL

I keep them two ways: by set, since sometimes I know the set I want, and then by content. I have five folders:

Borders_Layout -- includes things like Curled/Folded Edges

Textures

Designs_Prints

Words_Maps_Diagrams

PhotoTemplates

While I could split some of these further, this works pretty well for me.

Right now I just have one folder for all ScrapSimple products...I'm too lazy to separate them further LOL

Seriously? jawdrop.gif The embell templates and paper templates and alpha templates and styles and actions all moshed up together? It obviously works for you as your pages are gorgeous, and you are very speedy. But it makes my head spin to think of it. wobbly-eyes.gif It all goes back to that old saying "Different strokes for different folks!"

I'm planning to break them down by category this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the comments and thoughts. It's fun to hear what others do.

I do have wayyyyy too many SS products mashed together in one folder. But I got myself more confused having them separated. Sometimes when I am starting a layout, I might be scrolling through the SS folder looking at layout templates, but then I see a paper template that jumpstarts my brain. Or I'll be searching my SS folder for an embellishment template, but see a brush that might work better. I figure, the fewer folders I have to go in and out of, the better for me :)

That's a good point Tiza, about fewer folders being simpler. I do have my SSimple stuff separated by type. So within my backgrounds folder, in addition to each color, I have a folder called "designyourown." I have "designyourown" folders in my alphas, frames, ribbons, and graphics folders too!

I used to tag each paper template by category. Now, not so much because time is limited and I'd rather scrap than tag so I just tag the mktg file for the whole set. I use Picasa and normally, I just browse through my SS Paper Template folder until I find what I'm looking for. Right now I'm reorganizing my file structure so everything will be grouped by designer.

Here's an example:

STI_Shalae Tippetts [this is my folder for all things Shalae, each designer has one of these]

*SS_Paper_ArtistPaper1 [this is the folder for this paper template set]

In Picasa, the MKTG image for this template is tagged SS_Paper, Artsy. A cool thing about Picasa is, I can search across all the designer folders for a particular product type just by typing it in the search bar. So even without tagging, if I want to see all of my paper templates, I can search "SS_Paper" and all the files with this name will come up and I can browse through them.

I used to do it the same way you do now Debbie, but I find that I can remember the designer before I can remember the name of the collection and I found myself constantly searching that way in Picasa so I figured I might as well set up my folders that way LOL.

Archived