Can You Split Dynamic Brushes?

okay... my blonde head could not figure this out.. im sure it can be done.. but how??

With the Dynmaic brush zippy... could you make it look like a zipper.. where the top opens up and splits? basically an unzipped part?

but how would you do that?

I use pse 8... i did use it in a layout along with the edge it action to get it nice and straight.

Anyone have an idea? or solution?

;)

Hmm.... with this specific brush.. the zipper... when you run it... it flips back and forth to create a brush stamp for each side of the zipper does that make sense?

so if i did one line.... It would do the left side, right side, left side, right side... all the way to the end of the line.

I don't have this one either (so maybe not so much help). What about using the magic wand tool (contiguous checked?) on the side you want to get rid of, erase/delete your selection, then try Elisha's duplicate/ flip technique? Or there's always a layer mask and a brush to get rid of the side you don't want, then dup/flip. Those are my immediate thoughts. It may be totally not helpful. Can't wait to hear what works.

I think I was looking at that brush set earlier... and if I'm thinking of the right one, it had a single (one side open)and double (closed) brush of each zipper style. So to get it to look like an open zipper, you'd use the closed portion with one brush, then switch to the single sided brush to do the open portion. Maybe I'm not understanding the question, but I kind of thought through it when I looked at the brush set this morning...

I played with these a little bit and here's what I came up with

1. Choose any one of the three single brushes (single tooth- either 1a, 2a, or 3a)

2. On a new layer, hold the shift key down and start the zipper line. When you get to the part where you want the zipper to open, let go of the shift key and curve the line outward.

3. In the options bar, click on the icon on the far right (options for setting brush dynamics) This looks like a little paint brush.

4. At the bottom of the box that opens, either drag the arrow in the circle until the angle box says 180 degrees or just type in 180 degrees. Close the box.

5. Create a new layer and repeat step 2.

6. Now use the move tool to connect each side of the zipper, use the eraser tool to erase any straggly or unwanted zipper teeth at the end.

7. Link or merge the layers together.

HTH

If I understand you question right, which seems to be to have an open zipper, or part of an open zipper with the teeth facing each other, here's what I did. I ran the single tooth brush from left to right on the bottom piece of material, towards the closed part - then right to left, on the top piece of material, from the closed part. The brush flipped it'sefl when I went the opposite directions. Seems to be the easiest way to use it and I'm into easy! lol :-)

I think Teecee's instructions are about perfect. I would add only one small suggestion if you want to use the paired brushes with the singles. You may need to adjust the size and spacing of the brushes to match up exactly (if you're a recovering perfectionist as I am.)

For instance, Zippy_brush_1 is a 150 pixel brush. To match the size and tooth spacing on the single-sided brush, Zippy_brush_1a, I increased its size from 126 to about 136 pixels, and the spacing to about 118%. (Open the Window for Brush Dynamics; these are on the top option "Brush Tip Shape.")

Then you can do the spliced and single sections on different layers, and merge when you're done.

Hope this helps.

If I understand you question right, which seems to be to have an open zipper, or part of an open zipper with the teeth facing each other, here's what I did. I ran the single tooth brush from left to right on the bottom piece of material, towards the closed part - then right to left, on the top piece of material, from the closed part. The brush flipped it'sefl when I went the opposite directions. Seems to be the easiest way to use it and I'm into easy! lol :-)

WTG Heatheranne.

Archived