Organizing Styles In Cs4

Elisha

My brother has transferred his license for his old CS4 that he never uses over to me. I'm so excited to upgrade from PSE! I do love my PSE9, and since I got it last month, I've gotten it just the way I like it with all my actions and styles organized as to type.

Now, pardon me - I'm quite the newbie here - in looking at this CS4 - I see that actions can be put into subfolders. Good. In PSE, I have my styles organized into categories like shadow styles, bevel styles, metal styles, etc. Can I do that in CS4? I can't figure it out. Any search I do for "organizing styles" brings me to a PSE tutorial.

It is so much easier to install styles in this program! Drag and drop. But I hope I don't have to have one looooong list of styles to go through to find the right one - and have to remember the designer's initials for each style as well.

Elisha, I'm not sure this is the "recommended way," but here's what I've done, and really like in CS4:

Add in all the related styles you think you might want together, e.g. Shadows or Glitter.

Open the Preset Manager and select (using CTRL or shift + Click) all the styles that should be part of the "set". I always add some "Blank/NO Style" copies, too, in between each designer's set. These make it easy to remove style from layer, and also delimit each set. Once all the presets of interest are selected, Save Set and name it. I name them 0_Shadows, or 0_Glitter, so they're at the beginning of any folder. You can save them with your own supplies or in CS4's presets. Reset Styles and repeat for each "type."

Load the types/groups of interest and go. I find it very fast to load the type of styles of interest this way; I have about 15-16 general types.

Elisha, I'm not sure this is the "recommended way," but here's what I've done, and really like in CS4:

Add in all the related styles you think you might want together, e.g. Shadows or Glitter.

Open the Preset Manager and select (using CTRL or shift + Click) all the styles that should be part of the "set". I always add some "Blank/NO Style" copies, too, in between each designer's set. These make it easy to remove style from layer, and also delimit each set. Once all the presets of interest are selected, Save Set and name it. I name them 0_Shadows, or 0_Glitter, so they're at the beginning of any folder. You can save them with your own supplies or in CS4's presets. Reset Styles and repeat for each "type."

Load the types/groups of interest and go. I find it very fast to load the type of styles of interest this way; I have about 15-16 general types.

I really nned to organize mine into sets. Barbara, would you mind sharing your set names/categories?

TIA!!!

Sure, thanks for asking:

Artistic_PainterlyEffects

BlankStyle (This is half a dozen "No Style" copies that I can and drag between sets.)

Clear_Translucent_Overlay

Colors_Bright

Colors_Textures

Confetti_Fancies

Edge_ScorchedEffects

Framing

Glitter_Edges

Glitter_Fill

Metallics_Bright

Metallics_EdgesWires

Metallics_Grunged

Miscellaneous (for anything I can't figure out where else to place)

PhotoCorrection_PhotoBorders

Shadows

TextBlends

Textures_NaturalMaterials

WatercolorEffects

Your list will vary, depending on what you own. One thing I've learned is that it's ok for a style to appear in more than one set--if I keep looking for it in the same place, then add it! In CS4, it's easy to open the Preset Manager, select the old and newly added styles, and re-save the updated set. I hope this is helpful as an idea starter.

• 2 months later...

I finally had time to browse and found this great tip! On my MAC I set up a folder named Tools. In this folder I have sub-folders such as brushes, actions, styles, alphas, etc. Now I know how I am going to organize my sub-folders! Thank uou so much Barbara, you came to my rescue again!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived