Switching Programs...maybe?

~*Kiana*~

I've been using PSP9 for about a year. I learned thru trial and error & online tutorials I could find. I've been deciding if I want to use some of our tax $$ and get one of the Adobe programs (PS, PSE, CS5) or another totally different. I don't want one with a hard learning curve. I also think PSP9 might be behind the times compared to Adobe products or maybe I should get PSP X2 or X3?. So ladies, any help is appreciated in this decision. What do you use, how would you rate the learning process? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to Scrap Girls!

Bad news and good news.....

All the Adobe products have a steep learning curve.....but not any steeper than PSP. I wouldn't recommend PSCS5 for you...it's what professionals use and it's not really necessary for most things you do in scrapping.

You'll love PSE when you get used to it.

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I downloaded the PSE trial, and I can tell its gonna take some getting used to. Not sure yet if I wanna start all over, or just upgrade my PSP to get new toys to play with!! LOL

I understand the not wanting to learn something new, but it is well worth the trouble. I have PSE9, started with 6 and love it. I also use Creative Memories Storybook plus 3. The learning curve on it is nowhere near what PSE is and it's great for putting out whole books quickly too. I use both regularly because they are some things Storybook can't do that PSE can.

If you decide to keep using PSP, you might as well stay with the version you have. The changes that Corel has made since they bought PSP from Jasc have mostly been in photo editing. Very few changes have been made in the "paint" part of PSP that you use in scrapbooking. I have versions 8 through X3, except for version XI, since I write digi-scrapping tutorials for PSP. I seldom have to make a note about differences in the versions.

Rather than a newer version of PSP, I would also recommend you purchase Photoshop Elements 9. It is getting great reviews in the digi-world.There are lots of resources on the web to help you learn PSE. I changed from PSP to Photoshop a few years ago. It really wasn't as hard a transition as it appeared to be at first.

Have fun scrapping!

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it all, and with so much knowledge!! I am playing with a free trial of PSE now and will with the PSP X3 too. I really am liking the PSE, just all the buttons are in different places..like getting a new car!! LOL

Anytime you make a change there is a learning curve, and they are all pretty steep. I'm a loyal Adobe user so of course I think that's the way to go. LOL. I think, once you've learned the programs a little, you'll have more versatility. When I first started, I used PSE, thought that would be just fine for what I do. The problem was, once I got started, I wanted to do more and more and so within a year upgraded to the full Photoshop version (CS3). I disagree that PS (current version CS5) is only for pros, although this is what many pros use. You never know where your interests are going to take you in a few months. I started getting very interested in improving my photography along with scrapping those photos and full Photoshop is much better in that regard. If you can afford it, go with the best. Its no more difficult to learn then PSE and gives you more tools for a broader range of applications. Give yourself a couple of months of trials with different products. When I change programs, it seems to take about 2 months for me to get proficient.

I've used PSE, then upgraded to CS3 (and now CS5). There are more PSE and CS users here that can help you with questions and Ro has wonderful resources in the boutique for the products. She walks you through different scrapping techniques...it's like looking over her shoulder. Here is a link to her different products.

Good luck deciding and have fun playing and learning. Don't get frustrated....learning and accomplishing is half the fun!

I was a PSP user when I first started, but eventually made the leap to PSE. I started with PSE5, and now have PSE9. Yes, there is a learning curve...but what software does NOT have some sort of learning curve??? Take your time playing with the free trials, and you'll find the right fit for you.

PSE9 .. what is the point of the organizer? Do I have to add my pictures to the organizer to use them, or can I just open the files (photos, papers, embellishments) I want?

PSE9 .. what is the point of the organizer? Do I have to add my pictures to the organizer to use them, or can I just open the files (photos, papers, embellishments) I want?

I don't use the organizer, so I'm not sure! I only use the PSE9 editor, and then load my files straight from their folders on my computer.

yes, that seems to be the way for me too, especially coming from PSP9, the organizer would perhaps come in handy if I wanted only pics from a certain trip or something..IDK, maybe!

I really like all the brushes!! I did learn how to use color picker, now I can match my text with my LO's, I didn't know PSP9 did it either so I went and tried and it worked too.

Welcome Kiana, I see you just joined yesterday. You will love this place. I have only used Adobe products so I can't comment on PSP, but I do love Photoshop. I started with PSE and then moved up to CS5. The more I used PSE and ran into tutorials that said that PhotoshopCS was required, the more I wanted that power. I'm so glad I upgraded but the learning curve is steep. I'm taking online classes and I'm constantly amazed at what this program can do. Most online tutorials deal with photo correction and manipulation, so if your looking for scrapbooking tips, Ro's videos are definitely the way to go. That's what I did to get my feet wet. So I would agree with everyone else, try the free trials and decide from that. I wouldn't go all the way to CS5 but I do recommend PSE. Especially on this site where it appears to be the most commonly used software so you could probably get an online answer to questions pretty quickly.

I really like all the brushes!! I did learn how to use color picker, now I can match my text with my LO's, I didn't know PSP9 did it either so I went and tried and it worked too.

Just wait until you discover all the styles & actions that are available for PSE & CS!!

Archived