Great Feature

PolkaDot

Found this and thought right away that I would like to share. I am using PSCS5, but think it may be in earlier versions and perhaps the latest version of PSE.

Open your photo. Go to Window>Arrange>New Window for IMG. Then go to Window>Arrange>Tile. Your image and a duplicate are side by side, and you can zoom in on one, do detail work and see how it will look in the normal sized view, plus it's great for keeping things "natural." I really like this feature, since it's hard to tell how the print size might look without constantly zooming in and out.

Hope it will help some of you and I am not just the last to know this- LOL!

Oh, good! I am glad to hear it. I tried it with just an image earlier, but just now tried with an entire LO, and it works so great! I can be adjusting an element up close on the left side of the screen and see the entire LO on the right. I love it!

Isn't it so funny what makes us happy and excited?

WOW that is one cool tip DOT! Thanks for sharing. This is more than helpful! Like Heidi I am sure that I will use this feature a lot!

THANK YOU, Dot for sharing this with everyone - it's a great tip and so nice to know - I will have to try it when I feel like scrapping again - it's so nice that you share such a great tip for us all to use!

I checked it out in PSE9. It worked by going to Window>Images>New Window

Thanks for the heads up. :happy039:

(And one of these days I'll get over to reply to your message. lol)

Ohhh, I hope it will work for you! You'll love it! OR, an upgrade is a must- LOL! (I don't spend $$ on clothes, but I do like my software!)

LOL Dot, that is SO true! Any clothes I need I purchase at consignment, Goodwill (yes really I find fabulous stuff there all the time:) and I buy my fav jeans on Ebay whenever I wear a hole in the old pair(s). That's what keeps me going in scrap supplies. Plus who has time for clothes shopping when there is scrapping to be done!?

What a bummer, I can't use this cool feature! :monstercry: I need to up grade!!!

I have a b-day coming up in March, I hope to upgrade by then. Maybe I can get an early b-day gift.

What a bummer, I can't use this cool feature! :monstercry: I need to up grade!!!

I have a b-day coming up in March, I hope to upgrade by then. Maybe I can get an early b-day gift.

Yes, I think a pre-birthday gift is in order!

Seriously, I do see a "need" for you here, vs. a "want."

did not know about this... thanks will give it a try ...but not tonight..i am on a small LT and it is hard enought to work on that... when i get home tomorrow i will be on my big monitor and dt ...which i love so much..thanks dot

It works in PSE 8 .... and .... THANK YOU!!!! This is AWESOME!!! Can you tell I'm EXCITED?????? :dancingelephant:

LOL, I can tell a little bit! I KNOW! Isn't it so great? It was just that one extra step of the side by side tile view and wow! I am so happy that I can share some good info and return the MANY favors of generous help I have received here!

I just started a document called "photoshop tips" with this as the first entry. I haven't scrapped in awhile but want to use this when the urge strikes again. Very cool indeed.

I'm so happy to see you again and am looking forward to the urge striking you, Steph! :2468who-do-we-appreciate:

• 2 months later...

I tried this Dot and managed to get Window>Images>New Window. However, when I tried Window>Images>Tile, it's grayed out and can't be used. I used PSE9.

Carol, I tried this in PSE7 and it has a slightly different way to get there, but I think the PSE8 and PSE9 owners said it was similar to the PS method, so I don't want to confuse the issue and hope one of them will come along....

So, your picture or LO is open, and you use Window>Images>New Window but then in the next step tile is grayed out. I just tried that, and tile was available but cascade was grayed out....so, similar situation. I had a lot of layout/windows open, so I closed all the extras and left just the two LOs I wanted to work on with this technique. Then I tried again, but cascade was still unavailable. So, I tried "float in windows." They floated, and then when I went back to Window, both tile AND cascade (in fact, all options) were now available. Go figure! Don't know why it worked, but hopefully it will work for you, too- LOL!

Worked like a charm in PSE8 (Mac). Thanks Dot. Now to get some more RAM to help with the speed on my LT with 2 large files open at once. That's a whole other issue. ;)

Worked like a charm in PSE8 (Mac). Thanks Dot. Now to get some more RAM to help with the speed on my LT with 2 large files open at once. That's a whole other issue. ;)

Glad to hear it!

RAM, there's nothing like it, is there? LOL at the things which make us happy!

Do you close down unnecessary background processes? On my old laptop, when things got sluggish I would go into the task manager and shut off anything I wasn't using and the computer didn't need to run. A common offender to really slow things down was Adobe Reader. If I wasn't using it, I would close it. I could always just reopen anything I closed by clicking on the program throught Start>All Programs. Another thing I ALWAYS closed was Windows Automatic Update. Nothing like having the computer restart in the middle of a layout! It will reload the next time the computer is started anyway (unless you have it set up otherwise.)

Imagine what Leonardo daVinci might have thought if shown this feature! When painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling, he had to climb up and down scaffolding to check his work from down below.

I am sure that daVinci would have been fascinated by this feature, but Michelangelo Buonarroti would have been puzzled to see daVinci working on the Sistine ceiling... :)

Archived