Lint On Camera Sensor

Westina

Took some photos today of the flat gray sky and noticed some lint (or cat hair) in two different areas through the viewfinder. I changed lenses. It's not the lens. I read the camera manual and ran through the auto sensor cleaning. No luck. Has anyone used the bulb blowers for cleaning with good success? I see a couple on Amazon and they are reasonably priced.

Hi Tina,

I noticed some dust too and I took my camera to the local camera shop and let them do it - I was just afraid of damaging the sensor myself - but the pro in the camera shop told me that it was something I could easily do myself and he didn't charge me anything to do it, so maybe next time I will try it myself.

Hi Bobbie & Sara - thanks for responding. The camera is a Canon Xsi. I took some shots of a plain white background at f/22 to see if the hairs would show up on the end result. I changed the photo levels to try to accentuate any flaws that would be visible. Didn't see anything. So, I guess if it's not spoiling my photos, no worries. Next time I'm in camera shop, I'll let them take a look.

I think you should be able to clean it yourself. I've seen instructions on how to do it, but taking it to a camera shop is a good idea too. So far (knock on wood), I haven't needed to do this. The time will come i'm sure. It means you're using your camera and that's a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the DSLR book for Dummies and it has a section in it about cleaning your camera. I haven't noticed anything showing up in my pics yet so I haven't seriously read that section yet.

Hi there Tina! Just read this thread as I've had lint/dirt/chocolate on my camera on several occasions. Sometimes it will show up on the photo and others it doesn't. It took me a while to figure out why (I'm a bit slow at the best of times!). When I would take photos into the light, the lint/dirt would be highlighted and you could notice it - so differing lights brought out my unclean camera.

I did the self-clean thing on several occasions (I have a canon) but it wasn't a good enough clean. I sent my camera off to these amazing people I heard about here on SG and they cleaned/fixed it wonderfully.

You really do have to be extra careful when you're playing around with your sensor (I have never done it because I'm too scared to) as I've heard some horror stories about scratching your sensor when you're trying to get dust/dirt off! So just be careful - and shoot away from the sun ;).

Good luck!

Oh, one more thing - I once bought a lens which had dust 'in' the lens so no amount of cleaning would have gotten it out. I sent it back to Canon and they replaced it no questions asked!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I haven't yet purchased the "bulb blower" but I was reading that many folks have had very good luck with them. The advice is not to touch the mirror though, just insert up to the ring where the lense would attach and give it a good puff. Carole, if it doesn't do the trick, I might PM you for the name of the company that did your camera cleaning. Thx

Archived