Looking For Recommendation For Good Photo Scanner

bjc

i am replacing my computer and i have a feeling that my old epson 4180 photo scanner wont upgrade to the windows 7 so i want to be ready and take suggestions for a scanner...i use it to scan my heritage photos and other other photos and also some docs to make pdfs....

so any suggestions? or what to look for in specs? i know nothing about scanners..thansk

We have the Epson Perfection 4490 and have been quite pleased with it. Not sure if they sell that model any more or not but it has been a wonderful workhorse of a scanner and has the capability of doing slides and negatives (and does them well.)

My dream scanner is a professional Epson model that can scan approx. 13 x 17 or so. Hey, it's only $2300! ;) I have so many paper pages that I really would love to scan and have digital backups for or be able to print books for each of our children of some things. The scrapbook store 40 minutes from here has this scanner but their cost to scan them for me is basically prohibitive. As is the scanner itself. Oh well!

I've had an Epson Perfection 1650 for many years and I've loved it. It does slides and negatives and will scan several photos in one pass, saving them separately.

Sadly, being an older model, no driver is available for my 64 bit Windows 7 machine. Boy was I bummed! The scanner in my HP all in one is jut not near as good.

I'll be watching this thread.

what is that software, april? cause i think my epson scanner will be too old to upgrade the drivers when i get my new windows 7 computer tomorrow... so that is why i am looking for recommendations..thanks

Cheri, I've often wondered why larger format scanners are so expensive. You can get larger format printer for not a lot more than regular size. I wonder what it is about the scanners that make them so outrageous?

Elisha, look at the vuescan software. We got it when we couldn't get updated drivers and have been happy with it.

Thanks for the recommendation, April! I vaguely remember running across that in my search for a driver - but wasn't ready to pay for something. I'll take a look at it again. I'd love to be able to use the great scanner I have - it works perfectly for my needs, rather than buy something new that probably won't work as well!

Cheri, I've often wondered why larger format scanners are so expensive. You can get larger format printer for not a lot more than regular size. I wonder what it is about the scanners that make them so outrageous?

I don't know. Price gouging for scrapbookers maybe?;)

Elisha, look at the vuescan software. We got it when we couldn't get updated drivers and have been happy with it.

Thanks for the recommendation, April! I vaguely remember running across that in my search for a driver - but wasn't ready to pay for something. I'll take a look at it again. I'd love to be able to use the great scanner I have - it works perfectly for my needs, rather than buy something new that probably won't work as well!

I really like what my scanner does too. My husband found the software and I used the free trial (which puts a watermark on the image) to test all the different modes. I actually like it better than the original software that came with our scanner. It does have a few things that are different that I'm still getting used to. We bought the pro version that included free lifetime upgrades. My favorite is that you can straighten things before you scan them. Maybe newer scanners have that, but mine didn't before. We figured it was less than buying a new scanner.

what is that software, april? cause i think my epson scanner will be too old to upgrade the drivers when i get my new windows 7 computer tomorrow... so that is why i am looking for recommendations..thanks

It is the vuescan software. It does cost a bit, but was cheaper than buying a new one. Epson is pretty good about updating drivers. It is HP that is stinky about it. (Guess what kind of scanner we have. ;)) Our Epson printer is 5 1/2 years old and didn't have any issues.

• 1 year later...

I'm now in the market for a scanner since we got a new desktop with Windows 7 and there are no drivers for my old Canon (that I mentioned above.) I'm looking at the Epson V300. Nebraska Furniture Mart has a really good price on it. I'd like the V500 but I'm not sure I can justify the extra money. It looks like the V300 will do what I need it to. Anybody have one?

I'm now in the market for a scanner since we got a new desktop with Windows 7 and there are no drivers for my old Canon (that I mentioned above.) I'm looking at the Epson V300. Nebraska Furniture Mart has a really good price on it. I'd like the V500 but I'm not sure I can justify the extra money. It looks like the V300 will do what I need it to. Anybody have one?

So you decided to go with a new scanner - not the VueScan software? I have an old (but top of the line that worked perfectly well) Epson with no driver for Win7. The VueScan software works great.

I really like my Epson printer but do not know much about their scanners. I have only ever bought Cannon Scanners - am onto my second one. The only reason I had to get rid of the first was because it somehow got dust in under the glass ( one of the joys of having a woodworking husband with his workshop just outside the backdoor which is not far from my computer room ) My new scanner has a wooden boxed cover that I put over it.

Archived