I Am Getting This Wierd Icon On All My Files

bjc

nothing but computer woes...i just got a new computer..windows 7... but am still using my old dt vista computer too...i took that one to nyc so that when i am there babysitting i can scrap etc... so i set it up saturday night in nyc..same computer, new monitor, new wacom, same ehd.... now all of a sudden i see these wierd icons on my stuff.... see the screenshot....what is that??/ what do i do??? why did that happen? it wasnt there yesterday

can anyone explain or help me to get rid of these annoying little things? does it mean anything?

Morning...

Have you tried opening the items with those weird icons?

I am not sure, but I think I got them once when stuff had been moved and the computer could not "find" them -- I had to relink them all again..

They were there... Just didn't know how to be found...

I hope I am wrong and you are able to open and use all the stuff...

I'll keep thinking and exploring... Working on Mac, now though so don't have any Windows access...

i can open the things... so it doesnt interfer with the items..and its on all of them..jpgs, word etc...

so it is just wierd and annoying and makes me wonder whats up why is my computer doing this???

I was having a similar problem with my photos. All of a sudden there were these big red checks on the photos. Not on all the photos, only on select few. Don't know what they were or how they got there. I just fooled around and finally managed to get rid of them. Unfortunately, I am having a senior moment and can't remember how I got rid of those pesky varmits. If I remember, Bobbie, I'll let you know.

Good luck in the meantime. Maybe some clever SG will have the answer.

I asked a cousin who works at Microsoft and even he was stumped!

This is what he said ---

"I looked at the pictures and asked a couple of people at work. It looks like

they may be files that were made on a different computer using some piece of

software that hasn't been installed on your friend's computer.

Were these files downloaded from a web site? Did they look different before,

or have they looked this way since your friend got them"

I don't think this helps, but it appears it's not a bad thing if everything works.

I know you said you did not have those icons before your new computer -- only since...

Hmmmmm.... Have you had any luck with this problem?

I asked a cousin who works at Microsoft and even he was stumped!

This is what he said ---

"I looked at the pictures and asked a couple of people at work. It looks like

they may be files that were made on a different computer using some piece of

software that hasn't been installed on your friend's computer.

Were these files downloaded from a web site? Did they look different before,

or have they looked this way since your friend got them"

I don't think this helps, but it appears it's not a bad thing if everything works.

I know you said you did not have those icons before your new computer -- only since...

Hmmmmm.... Have you had any luck with this problem?

thanks that was nice of you to see if you could find out... wierd thing..they dissappeared the next day...wierdy wierdy

Hi Bobbie!

I think it's to do with the way Windows 7 handles its registry. The new computer was looking for the various applications and shortcuts to the items that are stored on your EHD.

The reason it went away is that when you next started Windows 7, the registry entries were re- created, and then all the icons were then pointing at the right objects.

Hope this makes sense!

Bobbi these looked familiar to me so I looked in my styles folder and sure enough they had the same icon. You will see a few different icons within W7 and Vista and they are just a "default" Windows icon for a file type the fx one is for .asl files. You may see your icons change based on what you have as a "default" program to open them.

In the following screen shot my jpgs icons are for Windows Live Photo gallery

In this screen shot I changed the default of my jpgs to be opened with Zoner and thus the icon changed to the Zoner icon.

You can change or reset your default programs by clicking Start, typing default in the search box and going to set default or associate file type with a program

Oh and you can see all the file icons under Set associations. You will only see the icons when you are in Small icon, list or detail view. If you have a file to open with Med, Large or Xlarge icons you will see a preview if available like with jpgs or png's

Archived