7 replies to this topic

#1 disneymom

disneymom

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

What is the best way to save my layered file when I am done? I use PSE and have been saving everything as .psd and .jpeg. I read somewhere that I should save as .tiff instead of .psd because it would preserve my layers and save space, but I have seen on the boards that people are saving whole layouts as .png, which I use only for elements....?
Robin

#2 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42,102 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

The only things I have as a png file are those that need to maintain a transparent background. So, if I've done a siggie, I'll save it as a png so it doesn't end up with a white box around it. Other than that, I save my layouts as psd and jpeg files. A tiff file will also preserve layers and save some space, but not a lot. I save my file first as a psd, then "save as" a jpeg. Then I open that file and change the size for the gallery and "save as" again, but adding either web or _72 to the file name so I know which one it is. Sounds like you're already doing it right. :)
I think of my psd file like I would a negative. I don't throw them away just because I've printed or posted them. I can't count how many times I've opened a psd and changed something on it-- even years later.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#3 Ro

Ro
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:42 PM

I would definitely save it as a PSD. April has given you lots of great advice!

#4 B&K Mom

B&K Mom

Just a girl who loves to scrap!

• Members
  • 9,313 posts
  • Location:Northwest Alaska...loving life on the Last Frontier!

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

Yep, PSD and JPG and JPG for posting here (600x72). I've never used TIFF for anything. Don't know much about it.
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 caprimom

caprimom

I'm a pixel crafter!

• Members
  • 4,184 posts
  • Personal Statement:live. laugh. love.

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:11 AM

I save my layouts in progress as PSD files but once I'm finished with it, I save as TIFF. When you use the LZW/ZIP compression options, you actually end up with a file that's about 1/2 the size of the PSD file but it still has layers intact. If you have a pretty large hard drive, then it's no harm keeping your PSD files but if you're concerned about space, I find TIFF files to be a good solution.

#6 disneymom

disneymom

Scrapper Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:21 AM

Thanx for all of the great info!
Robin

#7 mich perez

mich perez

Good Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:41 AM

The only things I have as a png file are those that need to maintain a transparent background. So, if I've done a siggie, I'll save it as a png so it doesn't end up with a white box around it. Other than that, I save my layouts as psd and jpeg files. A tiff file will also preserve layers and save some space, but not a lot. I save my file first as a psd, then "save as" a jpeg. Then I open that file and change the size for the gallery and "save as" again, but adding either web or _72 to the file name so I know which one it is. Sounds like you're already doing it right. :)
I think of my psd file like I would a negative. I don't throw them away just because I've printed or posted them. I can't count how many times I've opened a psd and changed something on it-- even years later.

If i want my lay out editable, should i save it as psd file?
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,102 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:33 AM

If i want my lay out editable, should i save it as psd file?

You won't be able to edit a png file. Both psd and tiff file save the layers, but there are a few things a tiff file won't save. I read about it a few weeks ago, but can't remember exactly what it is that it doesn't save though. I have used both psd and tiff files and they are both editable enough for me.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users