Soft Edge Masking? I Guess That's What I Need...

Cindyrene

I haven't tried attaching images before, but I think I may give it a try and see if you ladies can help me out. I'm starting into a new page and I can see it in my head, but I don't know how to make PSE8 do what I want it to do.

I've got my background, and I want several smaller pics to appear through the background. The one I've currently put in, using an oval clipping mask, is in the right place and is in the right size and shape, but I want it to have a fuzzy edge, to fade in softly from behind instead of just sitting on top with a sharp edge. I will want to use the same technique for other photos I set in, as well.

I made the background myself, out of a photo that I took at the same time as the others, and was able to do the vignette technique with it. And I can do it on the smaller photo, but I can only make them fade to color on the outside edges. I don't know how to make them fade into another photo!

I think this version of Brandy's ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Background Blenders - Masks will work nicely here. In this case, you would resize and position the mask where you want the photo to be, put your photo on a layer directly above the mask, and clip the photo to the mask.

I don't want to assume you know how to do that. There are several ways, but an easy way is to highlight/select your photo layer and hit Ctrl + G on your keyboard. Then your photo will take the shape of the mask below it.

Something else that you can try, is when you cut with the Marque tool, you can change the feathering. It will cut with a fuzzy, faded, edge instead of a sharp looking cut. Feathering is done on both sides of the cut, so you'll want to cut further from the centre of your photo than you think in order to get all to show that you would like. Start with a 50 feather and see if you want it larger or smaller. So, set the feather to 50, then edit/cut - you can do a copy, but cut will show you what has been extracted from the photo and if you left anything that you wanted - thus quicker to go back and change you cut distance. Once you have your cut, make the background active and paste the photo there. If you aren't fussy on the circular or square feathering, you can then do a little brushing on a low opacity to change the edge line. A little practice will take you a long way. Now you have several options and I'm sure that there are more! I hope this helps and you have a ton of fun with your layout. I'm enjoying the look that you're going for! :-)

I had no way to purchase masks at this point, and I tried the eraser technique, but just couldn't get the soft look I was going for. (No patience for detail editing on photos will likely be my downfall, yet!) Thank you for your help though, ladies, because in the end, the Scrap Girls have done it again. Success with Heatheranne's technique! It was precisely what I was going for! My problem was I kept trying to figure out how to feather AFTER using the marquee tool, because I didn't realize that the marquee tool had it's own feather setting. Awesome! It was exactly what I needed. So, here is what I was going for. What do you think? (Please be kind...I'm a total newbie!)post-19822-0-18511700-1296136183_thumb.jpg

Glad to see you learned something new and accomplished your goal! It's a charming layout. I really like that metal edge alphabet you used, too. Who is the artist at work?

Thank you, Rose Ann! The metal edge alphabet is a free layer style from the Adobe Exchange by Shelby Kate Schmitz - all her files are identified by her initials, sks. There are several good ones available. The artist at work is my 18 year old son, Caleb. He's majorly into composing and recording these days on both piano and guitar. He just put out his first cd a couple of weeks ago. These photos were the result of my determination to take more "daily life" photos this year.

I'm so happy that you were able to succeed at what you wanted and your layout is totally awesome. I love the font as well as your super photos! So, who is the photo of and is it recent (date)? Did you want to add that info to the layout, perhaps, or write a bit on layout when you're ready to put it in the album? You must post it to a gallery for others to ouuu and awww over it! lol No, you don't really have to but it's half the fun! Here's a tut on how to do it, if you choose to. I found it in the Tips For Using This Site link, at the top of the page. Have a great day and fun scrapping! :-)

I'm so happy that you were able to succeed at what you wanted and your layout is totally awesome. I love the font as well as your super photos! So, who is the photo of and is it recent (date)? Did you want to add that info to the layout, perhaps, or write a bit on layout when you're ready to put it in the album? You must post it to a gallery for others to ouuu and awww over it! lol No, you don't really have to but it's half the fun! Here's a tut on how to do it, if you choose to. I found it in the Tips For Using This Site link, at the top of the page. Have a great day and fun scrapping! :-)

Thank you, Heather. I'll have to look into the gallery posting. I haven't done any of that, yet, but certainly, oohs and aahs are fun! :) I was just telling RoseAnn that the photos are of my son Caleb, who is really into composing and recording these days. Although you can't see it in the small version of the attached photo, there is a date in the layout. It's in a small black font on the white piano key that's right under the "A" of the title word "Artist." It's Jan 2011 - the pics were just made last week. I couldn't figure out how to work any additional journaling in. I might be open to suggestions!

You're welcome. I see your post to RoseAnn. We must have been posting at the same time - only it took me longer. lol I see the date! Cool! That's the way I would have suggested to put it. I'm sorry that I missed it the first time. Caleb and composer could be done in the same way, in a small font, but it's not necessary. I'm sure that you'll be doing more layouts with Caleb in them and some journaling to go with them. When they are all together in the same album, it will be easy to see who he is, what he does, enjoys and perhaps a few dislikes as well. Great job! I love it! As for posting to the gallery, it looks harder than it is - just remember to save the layout at 72 dpi and 600 px, so it will upload. Eazy Peazy. lol Any problems and you can always post another question. :-)

• 11 months later...

OK,I know I'm late getting into this discussion, but what is BVA Grungelle. I searched for it but couldn't find. It sounds like something I should know about.

BVA Grungelle is a retired brush set. The product designer is no longer with Scrap Girls, so the brush set is no loner available. HTH

However, Brandy Murry has Background Blenders, Masks, and Brushes for this as well. They work REALLY well. Brandy did a video of using the brushes; I didn't find the link yet (had hoped it was on the product page) but maybe she'll see this and post the link, or someone else will.

ScrapSimple Paper Templates: Background BlendersBMU_SSPaper_BGBlenders_MKTG_150.jpgBMU_SSPaper_BGBlendersII_MKTG_150.jpgBMU_SSEMB_BGBlenders-Masks_MKTG_150.jpg

ScrapSimple Paper Templates: Background Blenders II Biggie

ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates: Background Blenders - Masks

BMU_DynBrush_BGBlenders_MKTG_150.jpgDynamic Brush Set: Background Blenders

And other designers have tools that can also help blend softly, too!

OK, found the video on her blog: http://brandymurry.blogspot.com/search/label/Brush%20Set%3A%20Background%20Blenders. It's WELL worth watching, and you can try these techniques with lots of different soft brushes.

Archived