Has Anyone Picked Up Aperture 3?

Dotted

I've never heard of it. I'm sure someone else has, though. Why aren't you safe in warm sunny Mexico this winter? It's been sooo cold here.

Just looked it up & it's for Mac, that's why I never heard of it. There's a 30 day free trial - did you try that?

Yeah, I tried the trial and like it. I just wondered if anyone else had it and what they thought. I'm trying to decided if I want to make the jump. My files are a mess so it's a good time to make my final decision on what I'm going to use to organize with. They've dropped the price to $79. it's still a lot but it really looks like what I want. I know lots of people like Picassa but it doesn't drag and drop to CS5 and that really bothers me. lol.

I'm on "state side assignment" (or furlough as some call it), Missionary jargon for returning to states for several months.. So we are back in the states for a few more months yet.

Unfortunately Mexico in general is no longer as safe. :(

But it is still warm and I miss that and my friends there. :)

I went ahead and got Aperture.

I love it!

I have files on at least 6 different hard drives from previous harddrive failures. I can set it not to import duplicates. It's very easy to file the photos and access the meta data.

if you already downloaded a file and go back to the same folder it will only show up new and not duplicates. Which has been really helpful since I have lots of dupes floating around.

One of my fav features is "stack" I can stack several photos of the same thing on top of each other and put the best looking one on top. like three of my kid sitting on the couch.

I can also import from my camera raw and jpg and have them automatically stack with either raw or jpg on top.

I have it set up to send a back up of everything to another hard drive. (you can have many backup drives)

Lots more features that you can find online.

Anyway I know there is ongoing debate on the best Mac photo org. software and my vote is for Aperture. with the new iphoto11 second and Picassa third.

I haven't gotten apreture, mostly because I'm a die-hard lightroom user, so I don't need anything for photos, but my scrapping stash is a big mess, and I do mean big. I think I have about 80 GB of scrapping stuff and some of it is sort of organized, but it is on three drives and so it is not easy to go looking for something. There are things I use more often so I know where to go look, but there are a lot of things I'd like to use more, but I just don't "see" them. Can aperture be used just for the graphic files and not the photos? I'm thinking of looking into this.

I ran into a snag with Aperture. It's made more for photos than graphics. It does not play well with b/w PNG files.

Aperture: Unexpected results when working with grayscale or other non-RGB images

Symptoms

Adjustments on grayscale images sometimes give unexpected results, or do not work at all.

Resolution

Aperture is designed to work with images from digital cameras which use an RGB color space. Non RGB images, such as grayscale TIFFs, grayscale PNGs, or RGB-A images (with alpha transparency) may not render correctly.

Which means all those lovely B/w PNG templates do not render correctly in aperture and will effect how it loads back to your photo program of choice. In other words it really messes them up.

I just found this out yesterday. So I'm thinking of using aperture for photos. I really like organizing in it. I haven't decided about my scraps yet.

My other option is changing the color space from B/w to RGB on my templates. I'm looking to see if I can batch convert them or if it's worth the time.

I have been using Atomic View and i do like it for my scraps. They have a demo if you want to try it out.

I was just hoping I could have one program for all but maybe this is the best way for me to go.

So Sandi I'd say no it's not a good buy for Scrap supplies. sigh.

Archived