2 replies to this topic

#1 naninca

naninca

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

I currently have a Nikon D40, and while it's served me well, I'm ready to upgrade. My biggest concern is that I have to buy lenses with the motor in them, which makes each lens quite pricey. I'd just as soon upgrade the body, and be able to buy cheaper lenses. (The nifty fifty will be first on my list!) I've held both the d90 and d7000.

So I guess my question is: is the 7000 worth the extra $500 or so? I'm nowhere near an expert photographer, just a very enthusiastic amateur. Then, any ideas how I could sell my D40?

I've been researching all day, and my head's a spinnin'! Anyone own one of these who can help me decide?

Thanks in advance! :thankyou:

Nancy

#2 DaveUK

DaveUK

Hot Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:47 AM

Hi Nancy!

Out of the two you mentioned, and given your level of experience, I would think you would be best served by the D90. Both cameras are very capable, but I think the D7000 might have extra options that you are paying for but may not necessarily use.

I know the D90 and the D5000 share the same processor, I'm not sure about the D7000. I now use a D5000 myself and have found it more than capable, especially its multi-positional LCD.

As for your D40, could be worth hanging onto as a backup. or might the dealer take a part exchange? Failing that, there's always ebay!

Hope this helps sway the decision for you!

Cheers
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
I Love My Mac Because All My Friends Live In It!

#3 naninca

naninca

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

Thanks, Dave, for your assistance!
I found a dealer that will take my D40 for a decent trade in price. I'm pretty set on the D90, but I just don't want to feel like I need to upgrade again in 2 more years. Gotta make a choice soon, but I'm hesitating. The camera store has a nice used D90 that would allow me to also afford a nice 50mm lens.

Maybe I'm reading reviews from too many pros. They love the D7000 over the D90, but I'm nowhere near that level. Oh, the choices!

Nancy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users