Online Back Up Choices?

OK everyone I need some advice :).

I've had Mozy backing up my computer and my two EHDs for several years and it has worked like a charm! However, tonight I just got an email that states they are changing their price plan and if I were to continue with Mozy at their new price plan I'd be paying somewhere around $40/month for back ups ... which is more than I want to pay.

So, I need to know what other online backup services you all use and would recommend. I know Carbonite is good but they don't back up EHDs unless you're a pro user and for the almost 400 GB I have being currently backed up they would charge me $250/month.

Any suggestions?

Here's the email I received from Mozy tonight:

Thanks for being a valued Mozy subscriber. For the first time since 2006, we’re adjusting the price of our MozyHome service and wanted to give you a heads up. As part of this change, we’re replacing our MozyHome Unlimited backup plan and introducing the following tiered storage plans:

50 GB for $5.99 per month (includes backup for 1 computer)

125 GB for $9.99 per month (includes backup for up to 3 computers)

You may add additional computers (up to 5 in total) or 20 GB increments of storage to either of the plans, each for a monthly cost of $2.00.

While this policy takes effect for new MozyHome customers starting today, your MozyHome Unlimited subscription is still valid for the duration of your current 1 year term. In order to ensure uninterrupted service, you'll need to select a new renewal plan.

As the leader in online backup, we’re committed to continually providing the highest levels of service and protection that you’ve come to expect from us as well as delivering those innovations you’ve been asking for. For more information on the factors that led to this change, please read my note or visit our FAQ.

Be safe,

Harel Kodesh

President

Thanks!

Denise

I just switched to Mozy a month ago too, I got the email today to grr... not sure what I am going to do yet! I love the EHD option and I only have about 70 GB of stuff so far so I may just stick it out, wish I had signed up for the year plan it would have been same price for at least a year! Oh well everything is getting more expensive sigh!

I'm with Patsy - Using Backblaze and have been SUPER happy with them so far. No Customer Service required so far, but I love how it just runs in the background constantly. I don't even know it's there, but it's always backing up. Doesn't steal any computer processing speed really.

Plus, it can tell if the same file is in two places, so it will only upload that file once and just "remember" where it goes if you need to restore. Saves on upload time!

Patsy,

I may be moving to Backblaze ... just did a quick check ... only things it would miss backing up would be my movies cause there isn't one of them that's less than 9GB in size. Might have to think about a second way to back those up unless there's something else out there like Mozy but for the 50$ or a little more dollars a year.

Thanks for the possibility though!

Denise

I'm another one that will be switching from Mozy. I need a service that will back up from an EHD too. Thanks for the recommendations for BackBlaze, I'm considering them or CrashPlan (anyone use them or know anything about them?).

I used Backblaze for several months in 2009. When I switched to using my laptop exclusively I didn't feel like going through the initial back up all over again though because I have so much stuff. Now I back up everything at Smugmug. You can even back up documents and other file types if you sign up for their Smugvault. Or you can back up documents for free at GoogleDocs.

Yea my initial backup took QUITE awhile but once it was done, I never notice it backing up anything. But I check periodically and the stuff is always there!!

As for the movies, Denise, you may have to back up the old fashioned way!!

I too received an email from Mozy. I purchased a year subscription, so I'm safe until renewal time. I have Mozy on my desktop and laptop, but I don't use my laptop that often. I use it only when I travel.

I unsubscribed from Carbonite as I was always having problems with them. I had both Mozy and Carbonite and that was causing problems. It always took too long to back up my files. When I first subscribed to Carbonite it was fast once the initial download was done. However, customer service at Carbonite is not what it used to be and so I unsubscribed.

I think I'll check out BackBlaze and see what that is all about. My C: Drive is about 279GB full and my Scrap Girls file is about 120GB of that 279GB, lots of collections stored there. I might have to get a larger hard drive this year. Yikes!

Just checked out BackBlaze. Sounds good. Just have one question, do you know if it will run while another backup service is on your computer? That was the problem with Carbonite and why it took so long to backup any new data.

I just canceled my Mozy account and signed up for Backblaze. If you use the coupon code byemozy (courtesy of caprimom AKA Ashleigh who had this posted on her Facebook profile), you'll get 15% off your Backblaze subscription!

For other past Mozy users... the interface to select files to back up on Backblaze isn't as straight-forward as it was with Mozy. At this point, it's the only downfall I see with it.

Heather,

I'm now leaning towards CrashPlan for one simple reason ... there is no restriction on the file size to back up. I have videos on my computer as well as photos. Some of the video files are HUGE and would not be included in the BackBlaze back up. Thanks for pointing this company out. I'd love to know if anyone else has used it and what their experiences have been!

• 4 weeks later...

CrashPlan is also giving a 15% discount to Mozy customers moving over to them. I might go with them and cancel my Mozy account. I'll check out Back Blaze and compare the two and see which one I like better.

I had a problem when Dell replaced my Lap Top and my computer guy transered all my data over...some things (Digital) were missing so I called Carbonite and they took care of it right away...I wish they covered EHD but I just got another one and have the same stuff on both...

• 2 weeks later...

Using Backblaze here, too. So far, so good. I still have a few days to go before I'm fully backed up, though.

It truly does run in the background and you forget it's even there. Even Mozy used to pop up on my screen now and then to let me know it finished a daily sync.

I don't use online backup anymore - I do have triple EHD backup and I use GoodSync to back them all up regularly. Works like a breeze, and the EHD's and software paid for themselves considering the monthly subscription costs.

My initial Backblaze backup is still going! It has 69,239 files to go, of 264,534. Do I just have too much stuff?

Nope, I had way more than that! :disappearing-smilie: In fact, when I first started the backup the estimated time to backup was 183 DAYS! LOL! It readjusted that figure after a few days. Too much scrapbooking supplies and photos ... NEVER! :winking_baby:

Amy, that's what we do currently as well. DH triple backs up everything using Acronis. The only problem I see is if there's a house fire, we still lose everything. Not sure we could afford any outside service to back up all of his stuff plus all of my scrap stuff and our photos though...;) I just told him about BackBlaze; I hope he'll check it out. It would make me more comfortable to have it all backed up outside our own home if possible.

We back up with several external drives as well. Actually, some of them are really internal drives that Bob just hooked up to do a drive copy with acronis. We keep copies of everything (2 or 3 hard drives) in the safe deposit box and switch it out a few times a year. That way we won't lose everything if we have a fire or some other calamity.

Around these parts I think a safety deposit box would be more money per year than Mozy;) We do have an OLD version of all our pics and scrapbook pages at either his parents or mine. But that was from at least 2 years ago. And we have a fire safe in our home, but it's really rated only for paper, not plastic media items.

Excellent points and ideas everyone!

• 1 month later...

I'm so glad to see this thread! I received a Mozy email a few days ago and have been sorting through options ... I'm trying out backblaze right now! Finally peace of mind after several days of what to do!!

So glad to find this thread - I had used Mozy for several years and was really upset when they raised the prices, I have over 1000 GBs backed up - I didn't even bother to do the math on that! LOL

Just signed up for Backblaze and so far so good - thanks for the recommendation!

Archived