Online Back Up Choices?

I can't remember when I started BACKBLAZE, but after researching it, I realized that it was the BEST for me.

After TWO hard drive changes, and Backblaze Backups just "recognized" the replacement thru their special program. In minutes(!!!) I was up and running with all backups in tact!

LOVE this program. Even my techie nephew was amazed how FAST it switched my backup to the new OS!

This is so comforting to hear everyone share their postives with backblaze. I'm on day 3 of the backup with only 72,887 files left to go and I have such peace of mind!!

My Backblaze initial back up just finished today at 4 a.m. I have an EHD attached to my laptop, which combined contain 279,941 files / 634,787 MB (just copied that from my restore page at the site) and I started backing up on February 22. It went faster in the last week or so after our cable connection at the wall broke and we had it fixed. While the technician was here, he cut the excessively long cable wire too, saying that the excess actually slows things down. My son pulled the cable out of the wall about a year ago and I just stuck it back in myself. Too bad I didn't get it fixed professionally myself back then! But amazing it held on well enough so long that we didn't realize it was a problem until it completely failed.

Anyway, now Backblaze appears to just be waiting quietly in the background for me to create or edit new files to back up. I'm happy with it. I do feel inclined to go to the restore page once in a while to make sure I see my files there though. And I'm glad I am still using Smugmug to manually back up my most important files, my pictures and finished scrapbook pages. Somehow I trust that more. But I like that Backblaze is automatic and includes other types of files too.

I think that I will go with BackBlaze. Everyone seems very pleased with it. Got rid of both Mozy and Carbonite. Mozy would have cost me over $100 a month. I don't think so. I can't believe that they have the nerve to penalize everyone for those few businesses that abused the system. Creeps.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for on-line storage... meaning, I have too many files to keep on my computer and have the computer still be working effectively... Will backblaze erase files that are not on my computer after 90 days as Carbonite does?

Also, all my files are on my ehd... to clear my computer hard drive... but I work from a laptop so I only connect my ehd when I'm backing up or need to access some video footage or pictures from previous years.

I am looking for on-line storage... meaning, I have too many files to keep on my computer and have the computer still be working effectively... Will backblaze erase files that are not on my computer after 90 days as Carbonite does?

Also, all my files are on my ehd... to clear my computer hard drive... but I work from a laptop so I only connect my ehd when I'm backing up or need to access some video footage or pictures from previous years.

Correct. Backblaze, Carbonite, etc, are not storage, but back ups, and will mirror your hard drive. I think there are places online where you can store files, as opposed to backing them up. Try googling "online storage." However, I'd never want my only copy of any file to be only online. I'd buy another EHD first.

As for backing up EHD, at Backblaze you don't have to have the EHD plugged in constantly. You do for the initial back up (which takes weeks, depending on how many files you have), and then you just have to plug it in periodically to keep Backblaze aware of it. I don't remember the exact period of time, but they explain things very clearly in their help section on their website.

I have some backup optical media (CDs/DVDs) in my safe deposit box, but hadn't thought about putting a small portable EHD in there. (I don't know that mine is large enough to accommodate one.) I recall some years back hearing that something about the security at the entrance to some safe deposit vaults have strong magnets that can damage magnetic media. Could that be a problem with EHDs?

I actually unplug my EHD from both the UPS/surge strip and computer and only update it now and then because Texas is prone to many electrical storms and I don't think that a UPS/surge protector can hold up to a serious lightning strike. I looked into the guarantee on mine when I bought it. Yes, they'll pay for damage, however, you have to pay to ship the equipment to them and they decide whether they believe the damage was caused by the storm. I was thinking about how expensive it would be to ship/insure a tower, monitor, EHD to them, wait for who knows how long for them to make a determination, etc. That does make the on-line backup more appealing in terms of not losing carefully collected/created files. Good topic!

Victoria, Admittedly More Lax about Backing Up Files than She Should Be

I have some backup optical media (CDs/DVDs) in my safe deposit box, but hadn't thought about putting a small portable EHD in there. (I don't know that mine is large enough to accommodate one.) I recall some years back hearing that something about the security at the entrance to some safe deposit vaults have strong magnets that can damage magnetic media. Could that be a problem with EHDs?

I actually unplug my EHD from both the UPS/surge strip and computer and only update it now and then because Texas is prone to many electrical storms and I don't think that a UPS/surge protector can hold up to a serious lightning strike. I looked into the guarantee on mine when I bought it. Yes, they'll pay for damage, however, you have to pay to ship the equipment to them and they decide whether they believe the damage was caused by the storm. I was thinking about how expensive it would be to ship/insure a tower, monitor, EHD to them, wait for who knows how long for them to make a determination, etc. That does make the on-line backup more appealing in terms of not losing carefully collected/created files. Good topic!

Victoria, Admittedly More Lax about Backing Up Files than She Should Be

We swap out EHD's several times a year and haven't had any problems. Some of them aren't actually hard drives in cases, they are just hard drives in their little anti-static sleeves. :)

• 1 month later...

Since I have only been digitally scrapping for a few months now, I never really worried about backing up files. However, over the last several months I have accumulated an extremely large amount of scrapbooking supplies. If it was free, I downloaded it (lol) and there are so many sites on the internet to download tons of free digital scrapbooking items. I am trying to cut back on doing that now though. So I have yet to do any type up backup. I have recently told my husband that I am concerned about this and he said we need to get an EHD. However, I am now a bit confused after reading all the posts on this forum. I understand that you can pay one of the online services that have been mentioned in previous posts and they will automatically backup your files. But some have mentioned that they also have their EHD backed up as well. I don\'t understand why you would need to do this? If I used an EHD to do my backups, why would I want to back that up as well with an online service? Wouldn\'t that just be doing the same backup twice? I guess I want to know if I just do backups using an EHD, is that sufficient? I do have a fire safe that I would store it in. Also, how often should I do the backup?

Thanks,

Patty

Archived