So How About Carbonite?

I was sifting through the topics here and noticed a lot of Mozy users, and a few others that I haven't really heard of, but no one really said much about Carbonite. DH and I have been having a hard time with our computer lately and decided to wipe it and start over - of course meaning we have to back everything up first. We got Carbonite and have been uploading files for a week and a half now. (Almost done!!!)

Has anyone had to fully restore from Carbonite? I'm a bit nervous about the whole thing... I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket, but we've got 110 GB of stuff being backed up, so I don't have an EHD big enough.

Just looking for people that've used Carbonite and have some experience here!

Thanks!!

I've used Carbonite. Actually I'm still using them. A few weeks ago I signed up for a year for Mozy and just have them (so far) backing up the EHD that I just started using this year. I still have half a year with Carbonite. I did do a big restore with them once and it seemed to work just fine. Sure wish they'd do the EHDs.

I did that Lori!

Several years ago my internal drive just died on me. Luckily I had Carbonite and I had checked it right when I set it up to make sure it was thorough. When I got my computer back I set it up to restore everything and it began rebuilding my files just as they were. (in all their disorganization, LOL, too bad it couldn't organize them as well) It took several days to restore everything but I just let it sit and work on everything. I had several hundred gigabytes to restore. It really worked just great. I think I did lose a few things that were not backed up yet since it was a sudden crash and not something I expected. But I was very pleased that all my stuff was protected.

One thing to check is that your C drive where your programs are installed is backed up. You can check to see if individual files are backed up or not. If you have a lot of presets installed in Photoshop, or fonts installed in Windows, you should make sure those files and their subfolders are checked to be backed up.

Just last weekend I had a clean install done on my computer for Windows 7 to upgrade from Vista. This time though I am trying to get rid of some of the junk that has accumulated on my drives, so I don't want Carbonite to go put it all back on there! LOL. I need to call them before I set it up again and make sure I can reconnect without Carbonite adding back in all those files I have deleted! What a pain that would be.

You will love having a clean computer. It made a huge difference for me. I had Vista and there were errors and things that didn't work for the last 5 years that I had just gotten used to. Now as I reinstall everything it just plain works and I am so excited.

Good Luck!

I did use Carbonite up to just recently. I had a lot of trouble with restoring and backing up. It seemed to be taking an awful long time to back up even a few files. Their customer service is not what it used to be. Even after talking with them they kept telling me to uninstall Carbonite and then reinstall it. Did that several times and I still had the same problem with the slowness of the backup.

I'm staying with Mozy, even though they are raising their prices. I still have time left on my subscription and then I will see how much they want for another year. In the meantime, I've also checked with Backblaze and I might go with them if Mozy's prices are too high.

I use carbonite and have had to do 2 total restores from them (i'm actually 10 hours from finishing one right now) I've always had really great experiences with them. I do wish they would to EHD's, and agree with April it is faster to restore from a EHD, but remember those crash also.

What I plan on doing now, since I have so many files on my computer (over 400GB) is I'm keeping Carbonite and letting them back up everything. But all my photos, layouts and kit's i've created i'm going to also put on my EHD. That way if I do crash again I can move those over from my EHD must quicker and restore all the other files from Carbonite.

I had Carbonite for two years. I did one full restore and one partial restore with them. The first one went fine but the second time, I found a lot of files that weren't automatically restored. I spent a lot of time checking and double checking to make sure I had everything. I, too, had dismal luck with their customer support. I've been on Mozy for a year. I've been trying to figure out how many gigabytes I have backed up so I'll know how much it will cost me to continue.

Archived