Organizing Files With Picasa

mjs447

Hi,

I know there have been many posts about organizing, specifically with Picasa. I am in the middle of organizing and was wondering if anyone can give me specific ways they organize with Picasa. I found an older post of Ro's that shows all the folders & subfolders, but I have read so many times not to split up kits. I would like any suggestions on what you use for tags or whatever else could help. I also download a lot of freebies and scrapbook items from many, many places which makes it more difficult to stay organized.

Thanks so much!

Mary Jo

Well. I make alot of extra work for myself, but I keep the kits together but I "Copy" things and put them in different folders Ribbon-fiber-etc, Hearts, tags-journal blocks etc, Brads, Jewels-Beads-Glitz, Splats,and many more catagories. It has really come in handy when I am not sure what I need or what color....I can't seem to make Picasa work for me,

Hi there Mary Jo

From what i read about organising systems it appears to end up being quite personal to your ways and wants.

I use Picasa and are very happy with it (most of the time :disappearing-smilie: )

I don't split up my kits. I tag with the site name, designers name, the kit name, and I have tags called Elements previews and alpha previews. This works very well with the Scrapgirl products because the have a sheet with all the elements on and the Alphas. If I feel so inclined when I first get the kits I will tag with a seperate item like key, clock, etc. But I find just having the elements preview works really fine for me.

I only have two sites that I get supplies from so it does make it that much easier.

I think that sometimes it helps to do a LO and think about what names you would likely most use to look for something. Everyone sees things in their own way! For eg some people call the added things embellishments and other call them elements. I used elements because it is quicker to spell :disappearing-smilie:

Hope this helps a little and I'm sure others will come along with their ideas that work for them.

Have fun organising. Just so you know, it took me six months to get all my stuff tagged and sorted but it is awesome now!!! And I do keep it up believe it or not!! :disappearing-smilie:

ya mine is a mess nolw too. Its like all my photos and scrap resources are just thrown at me. But i see... if you tag things then you can use the search to find what you need? Is that it?

I just wanted to see my stuff in its proper folders like in my computer tree but Picasa will not cooperate.

I'm a Picasa lover too. The first time I tried it, I got discouraged but when I managed how to make Google ignore folders and constantly monitor others, it really worked for me. I decided to use it over ACDSee. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for but that's another story (lol).

Like Ngaire, I tag the previews. I tag each preview with the designer's initials and what kind of product it is, i.e. collection or paper set, etc. I love that Picasa can search by color without me having to tag by color. I used to spend a lot of time tagging each individual item but I had to give it up if I wanted to spend time actually scrapping.

ya mine is a mess nolw too. Its like all my photos and scrap resources are just thrown at me. But i see... if you tag things then you can use the search to find what you need? Is that it?

I just wanted to see my stuff in its proper folders like in my computer tree but Picasa will not cooperate.

Stephanie you can tell Picasa what you want it to scan. I don't have it scanning my photos. I do that in iphoto (I hav a mac)

Just go to the tools then folder manager and then tick the folders you want scanned. Then do your tagging.

I hope this helps, I'm not the greatest at explaining.

I want to keep my "Pictures" folder separate from my "Scrapbooking" folder so that my Pictures are all in order, and then my Scrapbooking supplies are all in order, but the two are not combined in the sort.

For the life of me, I cannot get Picasa to do this!

Can anyone advise?

Sandy

• 2 weeks later...

Stephanie - have you adjusted the folder view in Picasa? This was a frustration of mine with Picasa, too, until I found I could make that adjustment. Look in the menu bar - click on "VIEW". Go to the bottom of the list, and you should see "FOLDER VIEW"; go there, and there is a "tree view" available, as well as a sort by date/name/etc. See if that helps. It changed my world! :)

• 3 months later...

I want to keep my "Pictures" folder separate from my "Scrapbooking" folder so that my Pictures are all in order, and then my Scrapbooking supplies are all in order, but the two are not combined in the sort.

For the life of me, I cannot get Picasa to do this!

Can anyone advise?

Sandy

Hi Sandy,

I made a picasa collection for "scrapbook" and "alphas." Collections are the drop down groupings in picasa like: people, folders, albums. Right click on a folder and choose - move to collection/new collection. Name your collection. I haven't figured out how to select more than one folder at a time but I love having my supplies not mixed with photos.

Blessings,

Gina

• 6 months later...

Did you ever overcome this? Picasa used to work just like my folders were set up, but now it does a reorganization and I can't find anything. Any tips?

• 6 months later...

I don't always use Picasso, but I found that if you go to Folders and set it to scan certain folders "always" it will constantly scan every time you turn it on. This drives me nuts when I am trying to find something. So now I set it to scan certain folders "once" so that it won't continually rescan unless I want it to scan new things, then I set it back to "scan once." Make sense?

Archived