Printer Frustrations.no More! See Post #15!

scrappinchar

Help!

:disappearing-smilie:

I'm frustrated with my latest printer...HP Photosmart Plus B209A. Maybe I've had it a year. (?) It does not have the photo black cartridge spot. Just regular black. I don't know if that's why my prints aren't coming out like I'm used to. Sort of washed out. Not like I'm seeing on my computer (also HP). I've used HP printers forever and the last 2 have been headaches for me. And customer service has usually been rough. Oh, to print 4x6s gives me a headache. It tells me 90% of the prints that the tray is out of paper...but it's not out. It's becoming an ordeal . ARGH!

I've been reading reviews for Epsons and Canons and just don't know which way to turn, It seems Epsons have lots of clogged ink issues, expensive ink, and one new printer involves changing out a cartridge depending on what you're printing. And Canons use a different kind of ink that doesn't stand the test of time? Those are just complaints I've read...I don't know for sure.

I want to get back to printing my layouts again and printing 4x6s that I'm happy with.

:(

Any thoughts? Especially on current models. And, I can't give an arm and leg for one. Maybe just half an arm? :blink:

I have an HP Photosmart that I've had a couple of years. I had some problems once after an update (one of those automatic ones) and ended up having to reinstall the drivers. The only other problem I've had is with my prints coming out too dark. I finally realized that putting the color on auto gave me much more realistic color. I hope you get your problems solved, but I really don't have any insight to offer.

I have an hp officejet pro.... it printed 8x8 layouts just fine... then now... every inch there is this very obvious line. UGH... i dont know whats up with hp... but ive been very tempted to switch back to my very cheap and very basic canon, i never had issues with canons.

If you find out a solution, let us know! Good luck.

(sometimes i wish we could go printer shopping and take a layout with us and do a test sheet on the printers... lol... see which works best before we buy it.)

I have an HP 6180 that I love. One quirk, it also liked to complain "out of paper" for 4x6's. The slide that keeps the paper firmly in place moved too easily as it printed one print, and then complained on the next. I measured the space to the inside of the tray handle when it's in the right place, and cut a manila folder into strips. I stacked these to build up a "stop" (about 1/8" high) and taped them down. End of problem. I didn't force it to max "snugness" as I still move the slide a little bit to insert more paper.

I had bought the $300 printer used for $120 on eBay, so I didn't know the cause. The printer is otherwise so good that I have not been tempted to look elsewhere. It has six cartridges, including solid black, and sips ink slowly.

I have an hp officejet pro.... it printed 8x8 layouts just fine... then now... every inch there is this very obvious line. UGH... i dont know whats up with hp... but ive been very tempted to switch back to my very cheap and very basic canon, i never had issues with canons.

If you find out a solution, let us know! Good luck.

(sometimes i wish we could go printer shopping and take a layout with us and do a test sheet on the printers... lol... see which works best before we buy it.)

I wonder if you can't? I've seen demonstration models where you can do a test print of their photo. Maybe you COULD take a flash drive or an CF/SD card/memory stick and your own paper and use the demo models? Most printers (the ones I'd buy anyway) have a card reader and/or a usb port in the front to print photos directly.

I'm a long time HP user too, but I haven't had any of these particular problems. I'm currently using a Photosmart Premium C309a, and happy. (with the printing - not so much with the networking. But I don't think it's the printer's fault. I think it's a network made up of XP, Vista, and W7 machines not wanting to talk together. I think I have it solved now, though)

I used to use HP printers exclusively until I started digital scrapping - then they suddenly weren't adequate. I switched to Canon photo printers and am extremely pleased. They have individual color cartridges plus a photo black. I've had this one 4-5 years and it still works like a charm (believe me it has had a good workout). I have a Pixma model and when this printer dies, will definitely replace it with another Canon.

I'm an Epson Girl, love them even with their weird inks, they are work horses, the colours are rich and long lasting and I like that I can print oversized. I have an old Photo 1280 and a newer R2880 and I just junked an ancient 1520 which was just a dream boat of a printer.

Hi Charlene!

Has the printer bene like this from new - washed out prints? If not, and its a recent problem, then I'd consider re-setting the unit to factory default and then re-installing it on your computer.

(It may be an issue related to an auto upgrade of the firmware/software. HP often send auto upgrades to their systems).

Resetting it will "roll-back" those upgrades. They may get downloaded again, but you always have the option not to install them.

About the best I can suggest... for now. Hope you get it sorted fairly soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Well...I've got a Canon - PIXMA MG8120B coming.

It has 2 different black cartridges and a gray one!(And the 3 color cartridges.) I've been trying to print some black & white photos and hope this helps. Right now, it seems like almost anything would be an improvement. I hope so, anyway.

I'll let you know later this week how it goes.

:daisy:

See you have one on the way, but for what it's worth a sales guy told me for ink usage the new Kodak printers were absolutely the best. (he didn't have any reason to lean towards Kodak for monetary gain for telling me) But for the quality I am not sure as I haven't printed any major pics or LO's with it. I still use my HP C6280 that you have to have five different colors for and a black. I really like it.

I also had someone in the industry talking about a Kodak printer and the inexpensive ink. But the one they were praising only had 2 ink cartridges. Hope she doesn't mind me mentioning it...Amy (here at SG) just got the one I'm getting and says the prints are great.

I'm anxious to get mine hooked up and tested. I'll actually try the wireless feature this time. I always thought it involved more than it does to use that feature. Just found out differently today.

Oh my gosh! I'm in printer heaven!!!

I've printed 9 layouts and 2 4x6 photos and they look FANTASTIC!!!

:party-smiley-048::party-smiley-048::party-smiley-048:

Thanks for the printer tip, Amy!

Archived