More Picasa Questions For Newbie

Kindred Spirit

Bear with me. I know there are many questions about Picasa. I have had the program for many years and love it, (photos only) but have never Tagged anything. I now want to tag my digi supplies and don't know where to start. I have my supplies well divided into catagories and in folders and subfolders on the HD.

Where do I start tagging in Picasa? I have searched MANY resources and can't find any info on the initial tagging. Do I "call up a file" and tag it all at once? Do I have to tag each one? How do I "call it up"?

Another issue: Picasa has completely scanned my files (without my asking) and I have 5,400 file folders in Picasa. Some 1-5 duplicates of some files. I seems P. is scanning each time I reopen it. Don't know when or why this started.

I'm willing to do the time to get the supplies tagged, I just don't know where to start. I need step by step instructions for the tagging process. My love and devotion (ha) goes out to any advise you may give.

Bear with me. I know there are many questions about Picasa. I have had the program for many years and love it, (photos only) but have never Tagged anything. I now want to tag my digi supplies and don't know where to start. I have my supplies well divided into catagories and in folders and subfolders on the HD.

Where do I start tagging in Picasa? I have searched MANY resources and can't find any info on the initial tagging. Do I "call up a file" and tag it all at once? Do I have to tag each one? How do I "call it up"?

Another issue: Picasa has completely scanned my files (without my asking) and I have 5,400 file folders in Picasa. Some 1-5 duplicates of some files. I seems P. is scanning each time I reopen it. Don't know when or why this started.

I'm willing to do the time to get the supplies tagged, I just don't know where to start. I need step by step instructions for the tagging process. My love and devotion (ha) goes out to any advise you may give.

There is a lengthy message board post on using Picasa for scrapbook supplies. I've added a link to that thread below. I don't think you need to tag. It finds most everything with file names and color. I've had good luck with it. It didn't find everything I wanted it to, but it was pretty good. Good luck!

Using Picasa for Organizing

I agree with April. I can find just about anything I want by name and color. But I do have a few tags - I'll tag marketing images with "Preview" and holiday stuff with the name of the holiday.

I agree with the others that Picasa's search tool is pretty good at finding what you want, especially any ScrapGirls file because of the naming system used here. But, if you want more control, it's pretty easy to tag with Picasa.

To bring up the "Tabs" palette, go to View>Tags or CTRL+T. Then, click on the item you'd like to tag, then in the Tag palette, type in the Tag and press Enter. I like to tag my marketing previews with the type of item, i.e. SS_Emb = ScrapSimple Embellishment Template and the designer's initials, i.e. ABL = Angela Blanchard. Other than that, I don't tag individual items because I have so many files, it'd take FOREVER to tag them all. I add all of my marketing previews to an album named "SG Previews" and what's really cool is I can tell Picasa to search within the album for a specific tag. So if I want to see all of my SS_Emb products, I simply right click on the tag and choose "Search for items with this tag." Also, another cool thing is that Picasa adds the tag to the file's metadata so you never have to retag them again. I think the albums are database specific so if they got corrupted, you'd have to make another one, but the tags are safe as long as the file itself is intact. Gotta love Picasa!

Archived