So Frustrated With My Digital Camera

StephanieLH

I admit i do not understand all the setting. It can really do anything but i keep it on auto most of time. (bad me I know) but even with macro on I can not get close up pictures of my birthday candl;es or my daughters new earrings. Makes me want to scream. All i get is a big RED square in the middle of my LED. I am not even sure what that means. The user guide gives me no clue about how to change settings. it only tells me what each icon means. Can anyone help me pls oh pls before I go back to polaroids. LOL

Stephanie

Stephanie,

Can you let us know the make and model? That would probably help us help you! (I know what it's like when you're frustrated.)

Sorry, and yes of course. It is a GE Power Series digital camera. 15x optical zoom, wide angle, high dynamic range with image stabilization.

GE has a customer support line...just checked online and the wait time is 5 minutes. Just google it and you'll get to the site for more info. I hate it when techy things don't work the way I want them too. For many digital cameras with auto focus, it just can't get too close...the camera computer doesn't know what to do. Try backing away bit by bit and see if it will finally focus. For my P&S camera, it seems like its about 4 feet away.

GE has a customer support line...just checked online and the wait time is 5 minutes. Just google it and you'll get to the site for more info. I hate it when techy things don't work the way I want them too. For many digital cameras with auto focus, it just can't get too close...the camera computer doesn't know what to do. Try backing away bit by bit and see if it will finally focus. For my P&S camera, it seems like its about 4 feet away.

TYSM I hadn't thought about customer support. UGH You are the BEST!

And you are right about backing away. But i thought with macro on I could get a close up of my daughters earrings in her ears.

Glad you got it figured out. Even with my good DSLR and very good macro lens, it is still difficult to focus up really close. Sometimes its easier to stay back and go in with the zoom, it often isolates objects better that way too, but the background will appear closer and won't be in focus and there may be some distortion, but usually minor. Try taking a shot of something on a regular setting, getting it to fill a large part of the photo, and then move back and zoom, so the object appears roughly the same size. Then compare the two pics. In the regular distance one, the background appears more realistic and in the zoom one it will seem closer to the subject, but blurred. Play around with this and you'll find that you can take artistic control of your shots...somewhat. LOL. I never can get exactly what my mind imagines.

I have a Kodak Easy Share that has a disappointing macro setting feature. I tried and tried to get close up of flowers - but it would not focus very close up, even when set to macro. I finally figured out that I had to pull away and then zoom in. That worked pretty well.

I've got a new Canon since - it's MUCH better. But you gotta work with what you've got!

Archived