Wanting To Upgrade From Psp8 To ?

pencilcreations

Hey everyone! I know this topic has been brought up in the past-so I hope you don't mind me asking it again. I currently am using PSP8 and have decided I need to upgrade. My program crashes about 80% of the time when I try to use the crop tool. I am assuming it is because I don't have enough RAM. I am using a laptop so I am not even sure I can do anything to correct that, except get a new computer!! lol.

I was wondering which PSP program would be the best to upgrade to that won't send me into shock trying to relearn everything.I have had PSP8 for about 5 years and am really only discovering everything it can do.

Any advice or suggestions would be great!

Upgrades can only be done for the next level up, or you have to purchase the full program. There is no doubt in my mind that purchasing a full program would be cheaper at this point, especially if you are going for the latest edition. I'm not familiar with PSP 8, so I'm not sure what to say about how far you should go with a newer version, except I expect that the older the version, the more difficult it will be to find. If you plan on using it for a long time - why not get the most recent edition? I'm sure that you can search the web for information on each issue, although some would be on the Jasc site, while information for the more recent programs will likely be on the Corel site.

Personally, I would be more concerned about my computer and if it's time to replace it. Sadly, laptops aren't usually upgraded with space or speed, so a new unit is the way to go and is where I would be putting my money, before I did any software upgrading. I say this, because I was having the same issues a couple of years ago :-)

When I got my new computer, it was loaded with PSP X2 and a couple of other goodies, so I was very pleased, since I was just learning PSP9. Quite often you can get software as part of the deal when purchasing new hardware, so it's always good to check. I ended up getting PSE7 with my Bamboo and have been playing with PSE7 ever since, although I hardly ever touch the Bamboo. lol

If you're determined to stay away from new hardware right now and want to upgrade your software, there is one thing that I can think of that will help with space, other than a clean and defrag which I'm sure you do regularly. Make use of your EHD for your files because it will save you lots of space. Move your photo and kit folders to an EHD. Yes - delete them from the hard drive once you have them safely backed in your preferred method and saved onto an EHD that you'll use as an extension of your hard drive. After moving all of your files, clean and defrag your computer and you'll be all set to play.

It's a little slow working from an EHD, so start a file on your desktop to work in, where you can keep any layouts that you are working on. Drag the kits that you want to use into that file and delete them when you're finished with them. Save your psd's, full and web images to your EHD when you are finished with them, rather than taking up space on your computer. I know this is a bit of a nuisance but it works. I did it when my old laptop was over burdened and worked quite well for me until I was able to replace it. :-)

Thats great advice Heatheranne, I have just moved all my PSD's to EHD. Busy sorting my stash. Then thats going as well. Thanks.

You're welcome. I'm happy that you found the information helpful. :-)

You will need good memory for any upgrades you do. One really good thing is stores are now being nice about looking at laptops. I just took mine in to staples to have the memory tested. I wanted to know if they felt there was something wrong with it. they told me it was fine. They told me i had room to upgrade if i wanted and that they do do it. Course there is a small fee because updating memory in a laptop is WAY more complicated than a desktop. LOL.

You could give that a try. They also run a diagnostics tool... a good checker for the whole system to see what other items can cause a "lag" feeling with memory. (oh and at Staples its free)

:)

Angela N.

Thanks everyone for your great advice!! I think my first step is going to get an EHD to store my photos and graphics on as that takes up alot of space.

I am so glad to know that additional memory can be added to my laptop--my DH told me there was nothing I could do. So I am happy to know about this and it will cost me much less than getting a new computer right now.

Tina

Archived