Calling All Midwest Scrap Girls!

Actually from Detroit it is cheaper for me to fly to Omaha - under $400.00

That's not too bad. We are worth it ;)

Ok, cross off the 'Mid' and make it Western and add 'Cape' and I will be there with boots on. I wish I could be at one of your sessions.

We wish you could too, Belle!! I know you would be fun to chat with in real life.

I was thinking the same thing, Shannon. Too far, too expensive. But oh, I'd love to come along!

It would be great to see you again Becca!

OH hmm... omaha... hmm... i wonder if i can talk dh into it.... im kinda mid-west arnt i?

Sure, Angela, you can be Mid-west if you wanna.

This would be so much fun. April would be out for me and I have a daughter graduating in May. I am thinking the 20th.

But I am also coming from Oklahoma so I would have to see how much it would cost for me to drive once you have a place picked out.

So if there are any other Oklahoman's who would want to ride along and share the gas expense then I would be up for that.

Your daughter's graduation sounds like the same weekend as Conda's son's graduation, so I'll cross that weekend off the list. How far of a drive would it be to Omaha?

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be so much fun. April would be out for me and I have a daughter graduating in May. I am thinking the 20th.

But I am also coming from Oklahoma so I would have to see how much it would cost for me to drive once you have a place picked out.

So if there are any other Oklahoman's who would want to ride along and share the gas expense then I would be up for that.

Your daughter's graduation sounds like the same weekend as Conda's son's graduation, so I'll cross that weekend off the list. How far of a drive would it be to Omaha?

It is an 8 or 9 hour drive for me.

We could meet up in KC and drive the rest of the way together...we'll keep that in mind as the time gets closer!!

Woohoo! All the dates Tiza has on her post would tentatively work for me (ie there's nothing on the calendar now...that doesn't mean DH doesn't have something going on I don't know about yet).

The only date in that range I couldn't do for sure is May 6-8, unless you all want to come to Iowa!! I am hosting a local crop at my church on Friday from 5-11pm and Sat from I think 9-5. There is usually about 5-9 of us and there's room for probably 18 total.

If our crop happens on either of the weekends around May 6-8 (either before or after), Omaha would probably be the only place I could come. I'm not going to try DH's good patience by telling him I'm bopping off two full weekends in a row, lol. At least with Omaha I could drop my kids off at Mom's on the way west and give DH a weekend to himself too;)

Looking through all the posts, it looks like the best weekends so far are:

Fri. April 29- Sun. May 1

Fri. May 13 - Sun. May 15

Fri. May 27 - Sun. May 29 (Memorial Day weekend)

I think Pat was going to call around some hotels in Omaha and look for places to stay/meet, so we'll see what is available.

Woohoo! All the dates Tiza has on her post would tentatively work for me (ie there's nothing on the calendar now...that doesn't mean DH doesn't have something going on I don't know about yet).

The only date in that range I couldn't do for sure is May 6-8, unless you all want to come to Iowa!! I am hosting a local crop at my church on Friday from 5-11pm and Sat from I think 9-5. There is usually about 5-9 of us and there's room for probably 18 total.

If our crop happens on either of the weekends around May 6-8 (either before or after), Omaha would probably be the only place I could come. I'm not going to try DH's good patience by telling him I'm bopping off two full weekends in a row, lol. At least with Omaha I could drop my kids off at Mom's on the way west and give DH a weekend to himself too;)

Yay Cheri!!

I love how quickly we are getting dates together!!

Tiza-I think any of those weekends will work fine for me!! We'll see what Pat finds out!! Thanks Pat!

Well, looks like this isn't going to work for me this time around. One of our docs is moving on and will be leaving earlier in May and the one coming back to work after baby and cancer treatment won't be coming back until mid June....so no time off for me this spring. Darn, I was really hoping to make it.

Well, looks like this isn't going to work for me this time around. One of our docs is moving on and will be leaving earlier in May and the one coming back to work after baby and cancer treatment won't be coming back until mid June....so no time off for me this spring. Darn, I was really hoping to make it.

Bummer :( I was so hoping it would work out so we could see you again! The Midwest misses you, Sandi :)

I miss the people in the midwest but the Oregon coast is just so doggone gorgeous, even when it rains. Y'all will have to road trip it out here. Maybe next time will work out better. I do still have kids and grandkids in KC I will want to visit someday.

The April 29-May 1st weekend would be out for Omaha. That's Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting and every hotel room in Omaha and Council Bluffs will be taken. I'll work with the other dates with the hotels I'm looking at. I'm thinking the May 13th weekend would work best for me. I was thinking that was Mother's Day but that is May 8th. The Memorial weekend would work for me too, I think, but it probably wouldn't for quite a few. I should have some concrete hotel ideas tomorrow (Thursday.)

Are we interested in visiting the Omaha Zoo? It's not free like St. Louis. It's like $12.50 admission. There are other places we could do a photo walk. If we chose a downtown hotel, there is the Old Market, the Heartland of America park (ConAgra campus) and the Leahy Mall (lovely downtown park.) If we chose a more western hotel, there's Boystown and other nice parks. Or, we could just scrap all day. :)

I looked at Southwest's website, and there are very few flights available for Memorial Day weekend (unless I want to travel before 8am or after 8pm). So that would be very inconvenient for me.

I guess that leaves us with the weekend of the 13th-15th! Are there any major objections to that weekend?

I would enjoy a photo walk - anywhere works for me! And of course, we all know how much fun things can get in those conference rooms. Thanks for looking into this for us, Pat!

I think the Old Market area is quite beautiful, or at least was the last time I explored it in any detail (back in...yikes...1991 I had my senior pics taken there. We paid the photographer to drive out to Omaha with me b/c it was so picturesque). It would have my vote for a photo walk if we do one. There are a few edgy buildings nearby for cool old paintings on the bricks too, and urban portraits would be cool with that in the background.

Thanks for looking into these possibilities Pat!

I doubt I could come for Memorial Day weekend either. Traditionally my parents (now just Mom) come to our house that weekend since my birthday is always close (29th), plus the Aquatic Center here, just in its second year this summer, opens that weekend and we've promised the kids to go one full afternoon.

Sounds good to me! I'm game for anything but the the Old Market photo walk sounds great!! Whatever works best works for me!! And of course, if weather doesn't cooperate to outside, I'm sure we can manage to entertain ourselves in the convention room....

Thanks for your time in scheduling hotels Pat!

We could meet up in KC and drive the rest of the way together...we'll keep that in mind as the time gets closer!!

Sounds like a plan.

I missed this thread until now (thanks, Conda!) ... definitely interested if I can swing it! I'm "watching" the thread now, so I can stay in the loop. There is something currently on our calendar that would be hard to work around, but I will investigate further.

I apologize for not making more progress on the hotel situation. Way too much junk going on for me recently. It's looking like the best weekend for me will be the Memorial Day weekend. I will get some hotel info for that weekend tomorrow (Tuesday) I PROMISE!

Archived