Safe-guarding Your Gear

SandiC.

I just read a good article on safe-guarding your gear when traveling and wanted to share a good tip. As we are investing in better equipment (that means it costs more, LOL) its very important to have your gear well documented just in case you need to file a police report, insurance claim or to identify a found camera. The suggestion was to photograph each piece of equipment and record serial numbers as a record and make a couple of copies of this info. I'm going to do just that today! A photo of my camera body and each lens. I could put all those photos with the corresponding serial numbers into a single page LO to print off several copies. Not a bad thing to have handy for going through customs in some countries too. This could be important even locally if your home or car were broken into.

Good idea, Sandy! When Mark and Kim's house burned last year, it was really difficult for them to go room by room and be able to include everything they had lost - unlike my daughter and her husband, who have videoed every thing in their home and have it in a safe deposit box, Mark and Kim had not done that and it was a huge struggle. We haven't done that either but are in the process of doing it now. I can't imagine trying to remember every little thing of value and importance to me.

And documenting everything we are traveling with is something I hadn't thought of either, but what a great idea for safeguarding! My "can't remember stuff" brain needs all the help it can get!

Thanks for the great reminder!

That is a good tip! I think I saw a tip on Photojojo, where they suggested recording your personal "lost & found" information on your camera's memory. Take a piece of poster board, write a message like "if found, please contact me at..." then take a picture of that using your camera. Save it to the camera's internal memory, NOT a memory card. Then if someone finds your lost camera and they view the pics, they will see that message.

Archived