Mac Or Pc - What Is The Difference

ryanhannah

I am in the process of buying a new laptop. I have read all of the Mac threads but did not find a answer to my question. What is the difference and why buy a Mac? It appears that everyone gets excited when someone buys a Mac, buy why?

Thanks for your comments.

Wendy

I will chime in although I must post this disclaimer-I am a 'lifelong' Mac user so I am a bit biased. That being said, a Mac just works. It's simple. I don't know where you live but if you have an Apple Store near you, I would encourage you to go there or to a Best Buy that has an Apple section. I won't go so far as to claim that the Mac is the answer for everyone-this is why there are choices. I am sure that there are people out there that have made the switch to a Mac and don't like it and switch back to a PC but I have not heard of any. But then again, I don't look for that kind of story. What I have read and heard is how Switchers (going from a PC to a Mac) would never, ever go back. My sister was a PC user for many, many years and made the switch last summer and loves her MacBook Pro! The switch was not difficult but there is a 'learning' (or an unlearning, depending on your point of view) curve. Again, if you have an Apple Store near you, if you buy your Mac there they hold classes on using your new Mac-not sure of the details but at the Apple stores near me, I see lots of people siting around a table with an Apple employee showing them the ins and outs of using a Mac. So, anyway, that is my opinion. Oh, one more thing, the Mac community is fantastic! There are lots of podcasts to listen to and forums to read. Ok, enough. Take care, Judy

A couple of points about a Mac that I've learned to love after swithching...

1. Less vulnerable to viruses, fewer mac users so those virus makers don't bother making viruses to attack macs as much.

2. durability...Apple seems to want their customers to like what they buy, so they make their machines to last, unlike most other companies. My MacBook Pro is one tough computer, and while I try very hard to protect it, it does get knocked around a bit on occassion, but holds up pretty well.

3. Design. Its sleek and light and beautiful. 'nuf said

4. Superior viewing of graphics. Can't tell you the specifics, you'll just have to go see for yourself...Mac is the preferred computer for pro photographers.

5. Fantastic customer service, not quite as good as we get here from Angie, but still way better than average. Apple care is the warranty program that is very, very comprehensive. Well worth the cost.

To be fair, here are the downsides I've found

1. Initial cost. In this case you pay for quality. It is an investment purchase. Well worth it to me, but I'm a heavy user of my puter, so well worth it.

2. Well, I can't think of any other negatives.

The switch from PC to Mac was very, very easy, though it did take a little getting used to. I'm still learning the ins and outs of OS X but its not really hard.

Some people are worried because their windows-based software won't run, but you can partition the HD for windows and still use all you programs.

Other than the initial cost, I can't think of a single reason why someone would not want a mac.

Why Macs are Better

- Macs give you the ability to run OS X and Windows both (legally).

- Macs work great with other Apple components such as the iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, etc...

- Macs are very simple to use.

- Macs are less prown to computer viruses, although they can get viruses.

- Purchasing a Mac gives you Apple Store support.

- Apple uses quality parts to manufacture Macs.

- Macs are trendsetting, designed well, and visually appealing.

- Macs come with better software, out of the box (iLife).

- Macs give you out of the box access to the iTunes Store, if you are an iPod or iPhone user.

- Out of the box, Macs are not loaded with trials and additional software.

- Apple has top of the line phone support.

Why PCs are Better

- You can build a PC from the ground up, picking each individual component. PCs give you maximum customizability.

- PCs are generally cheaper in price. You can get the same processor, amount of RAM, and hard drive capacity for much cheaper with a PC.

- Branded PCs are a wide market. You have many options when it comes to choosing a PC: Dell, HP, Gateway, etc... There are really only 6 types of Mac computer: MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro.

- PCs have better software compatibility. You can find practically any software for PC. Macs are more limited in selection.

- PCs generally have better backwards compatibility. You can run Windows 7 on a 5 year old PC. You cannot run Snow Leopard on a Power Mac G5.

- More people use PCs. Thus, PCs have a larger support community behind them.

- The majority of businesses use PCs.

- PCs are better for gaming.

- PCs have more compatible accessories than Macs.

- PCs are more upgradable.

- PCs are open source.

I've been a Mac user for over 20 years but I started on a PC - I love my Mac for all of the reasons that Sandi just said and more.

Thanks for the information. I love the best technology and I am always looking for a good computer with a fast processor and great RAM. I thought I had one with the HP i7 gaming computer that I purchased a couple of years ago. But for some reason, PSCS4 is starting to stall and not respond for a few seconds or so, which drives me nuts. I just don't want to invest more money than I need to, but I do want a computer that will last longer.

The Apple store is about a 2 hour drive, but I just may need to make a trip there next week, well it is in the Mall of America so I can do more shopping. :D

Apple store is an experience of its own. I love going there. The closest to me now is about 4 hours, so I don't get up there often. Check it out online before you go, some stores ask you to make a shopping appointment, and then they treat you like royalty.

Archived