Can You Upgrade Your Operating System?

Hi. :waving-hi:

Question for those of you "in the know." 'Cause I am not "in the know." lol

Here's some of my computer's info:

HP

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz

3.00 GB RAM

32-BIT op SYSTEM

Sooo...can that 32-bit part be changed? Or would it have to be a new computer?

I've actually thought about (gasp! lol) upgrading/switching to PS CS5 from PSE.

But, it says you have to have a 64-bit operating system.

Drats!

Thanks for any info/input.

:justthinkingabout it:

OK Char I know absolutely nothing about this as well BUT - isn't the operating system Windows? I know when I upgraded Windows I got the option of 32 bit or 64 bit programs.

If you all know that is wrong please correct me! lol - like I say, blind leading the blind here.

yes. you can. although -

until recently adobe always stated their products were for 32 processors, not 64 (although mine has always run fine on 64). it seems now theyre trying to get people to switch to 64 based OS so theyre advertising as 64bit instead. confusing no? end, photoshop CS5 will work on a 32 bit processor it just wont be as fast :)

Question for those of you "in the know." 'Cause I am not "in the know." lol

Here's some of my computer's info:

HP

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4200 @2.00GHz 2.00GHz

3.00 GB RAM

32-BIT op SYSTEM

Sooo...can that 32-bit part be changed? Or would it have to be a new computer?

I've actually thought about (gasp! lol) upgrading/switching to PS CS5 from PSE.

But, it says you have to have a 64-bit operating system.

Unfortunately, you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit Windows, even though your computer is able to run a 64 bit version of Windows. As far as I can tell (Photoshop System Requirements), CS5 works fine on 32 bit computers and unless you added more memory, there isn't really a need to run it on a 64 bit computer.

You could buy a copy of Windows 7 (a big improvement over Vista, BTW) and do a clean install, but I'd recommend just waiting until you buy a new computer and it will likely have 64 bit Windows 7 installed already.

Jeff T (aka CherisScrapGuy)

:dancing_penguin:

Cheri really has her own computer guy! lol

Thanks, Jeff.

Sooo, just to make sure...I can run CS5 on my computer???

Should I break out the happy dance???

:party-smiley-048:

lol

Not that I own it yet.

It's been on my mind for a couple of months, though.

I was about to buy it months ago, but saw the 64-bit info. I should have asked then!

Sooo, just to make sure...I can run CS5 on my computer???

Should I break out the happy dance???

Break out your happy dance AND your wallet!

If know any teachers or students, you can get it for around $200 from the Adobe Academic Store. :secret:

CSG

lol

I had looked at the student pricing before.

Gotta see what they consider a student...

"Primary and secondary school students — students enrolled at an accredited public or private primary or secondary school providing full-time instruction"

I've got 2 of those in the house!

:party-smiley-048:

Any reason to order it "boxed" on cd/dvd (whatever) vs online?

Jeff is outside right now so I'll answer that one as best I can...I think it's just easier to re-install it if there is a catastrophic problem with your computer.

Jeff says yes, you could burn the .exe file to a DVD, in fact he recommends doing that in case of a computer crash. Then you can easily reinstall it yourself. He says write the "code" Adobe gives you right onto the DVD along with CS5 so you can reinstall.

I can't believe I just did it.

lol

I placed the order. Then I submitted a copy of Ethan's report card scanned in as a pdf.

They might still want a letter from the school. They'll let me know in 1 to 3 days if my document is adequate.

:going-crazy:

Boy, wonder how long it will take me to get used to it? Once I actually get it. lol

:giggle_bear:

"Depends on the processor, it needs to be able to support 64 bit"

Looks like I'm a little late to Cheri's ScrapGuy - but here's what my computer guy said. Unfortunately I don't think it's very helpful. Sorry. - Sounds like Cheri has you pretty well squared away though.

I got a new computer during the Black Friday sales last year, and got PSE9. Then a couple of months ago I got CS4. It didn't take that long to get used to - 2 or three layouts and I was doing fine. You'll catch on in no time, Charlene. The main things are basically the same and you'll be able to do layouts. But I'm loving exploring it and I'm learning new things every day - it's great! I'll never go back - unless it's to test something for someone else.

I guess I am not a patient person.

lol

I haven't heard back yet. They have to approve the school paperwork.

:justthinkingabout it: :justthinkingabout it: :justthinkingabout it:

Archived