Java Update...do Not Want...

glassbird

Ok, not sure where to ask this, but I hope someone can help me. EVERY time I turn on my laptop, I am informed via a little white bubble at the bottom of the screen that there is a Java update available, and all I have to do is click on the white bubble...

Well, I did that several times and downloaded each new version, in the hope that the bubble would just go away and stay away. But sure enough, another update comes along, and that bubble is back to harass me. As far as I know, I do not even use Java. I do NOT have a burning need to have the latest version. I DO want that bubble to leave me alone!

How can I make Java pipe down, and let me be in peace? I have tried to find some "opt out" option, with no luck.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cathy T.

Those little reminder-thingies can be so annoying! Unfortunately, I don't have a direct answer for you, Cathy. I can tell you , that we use Java in the Chat Room here, so that may be one reason to update. :) Are you Mac or PC. I know how to fix that on my Mac, but I know nothing on PC. Hope this bump up the list will get you some help.

Have you tried right clicking on the icon from where the bubble originates? There might be an option there to hide it permanently.

Good luck; I know how annoying those things are! I just rebooted b/c for 3 days my computer reminded me every 5 minutes or so that I was supposed to reboot so the new updates I downloaded could become active. Argh! :)

Those little bubbles are definitely annoying! I have a Mac and I don't get any reminders to update Java but when I do get updates it's usually because Apple is letting me know I need them for something I have done or am doing. Most of the time the updates work just fine but if I get one that I know for certain I don't need I just do what Cheri said and close it or hide it. They do eventually stop coming. I'm not sure why you are continuing to get them if you've already downloaded the update though. Wish I could be of more help.

I was having that happen and it turned out that I needed to install it after it was downloaded. You should be able to click on he little icon down in the bottom tray to install it.

I would recommend that you always accept the updates. They are usually security patches and are meant to protect you and your computer in the same way tha your virus protection software constantly updates. There are bad people would are always trying to find new ways to break into our computers. These updates are meant to stop them in the tracks. When there are a flurry of new updates in a row, it means thar the hackers have been particularly busy and the companies who are trying to protect you (like Sun who owns the Java software) are having to respond quickly and often to the threats.

So, you see, the updates are good things!

Hmmm...maybe I need to rethink this, and just keep accepting the updates. I did not know that java might be addressing security issues. I would not mind getting an update once a month or so, but they seem to be coming out weekly, and I have other things that I want to do on my PC! I will accept this one, and make sure it is installed, and then see how it goes.

Thanks for all the support and sympathy!

Archived