Acdsee And New Hard Drive

Cheri T

My C drive is OUT OF SPACE!!!! I couldn't even unzip what I bought on the sale. eep! Here's what DH is going to do tonight:

I'm just going to clone (make an exact copy) of your older, smaller hard drive on the new, much larger hard drive. Nothing will change, other than having a bunch of free space.

Do we need to do anything special within ACDSee or will all my tags be fine since it's an exact copy moving into a new hard drive?

Thanks!

Oh Man, Not a good thing. You do need to move all your files from within ACDSee or you will loose all your tags. I don't use it anymore in part for that reason- so I'm a little fuzzy on details. I have to shut down right now to minimize construction dust into the CPU, so I'll think about while I'm down .

You know? I don't know the answer to this. If your ACDSee is reading your C drive, and the new drive becomes the C drive, then maybe it's no big deal. I don't know.

Or, you could abandon ACDSee and convert to picasa! LOL!

I'm going to have DH do the switch his way. If the tags are lost, I've already informed him he'll have to undo it all. That will restore the tags. I know that b/c I have accidentally moved a big folder of things from outside ACDSee, and when I moved it back (also outside ACDSee) all the tags were back. It would be a big pain for him, but there ya go:)

Thanks!

Hi Cheri - I upgraded my HD a year ago. My ACDSee version is fairly old, but I believe there are some things that apply to all versions. Tips for a smooth upgrade:

-backup and perform database maintenance before the move to make sure the database is in good shape

-once the database is on the new drive, you'll probably have to "rebind" the data to the file locations on the new drive

Good luck and enjoy your spacious new drive!

Archived