Looking For Camera Opinions

tiza126

Is anybody familiar with the Fuji XP 10 camera? A friend of mine is looking at purchasing one, and likes all the options. But when she went to Amazon.com to purchase it, she read several unfavorable reviews. So I said I'd ask around here to see if anybody had opinions/reviews about this particular model, or other comparable ones she might like.

Thanks!

dpreview is the best place to go to find out the good, the bad and the ugly about digital cameras and related stuff. Unfortunately right now I can't get on the site, maybe they are doing maintenance or something. Really, best place to go for info and reviews. Guess the real answer to your question is what does you friend intend to take pictures of and when and where she'll use it and what her budget is. I think this camera is at least in the ok P&S category and moves up a step or two if you want a waterproof camera.

dpreview is the best place to go to find out the good, the bad and the ugly about digital cameras and related stuff. Unfortunately right now I can't get on the site, maybe they are doing maintenance or something. Really, best place to go for info and reviews. Guess the real answer to your question is what does you friend intend to take pictures of and when and where she'll use it and what her budget is. I think this camera is at least in the ok P&S category and moves up a step or two if you want a waterproof camera.

I finally got onto dpreview this morning and they didn't have any reviews, but did find some others. Sounds like its a durable, tough camera (one that my grandson might not be able to destroy easily) and the rest of the stuff like image and video quality are ok at best.

"There are a number of problems with the functional design, though:

Rear buttons are difficult to press

D-pad is difficult to use without resorting to fingernail

Feet on bottom of camera and asymmetrical shape make it unstable

Tripod mount is all the way on one corner of the camera, making tripod unstable

As you can see, I didn’t exactly find it a joy to use. Personally, I would consider these problems are a deal-breaker. I have to compliment Fujifilm on the unlocking mechanism, however. It took me a second to figure out, but it really does prevent any accidental opening of the SD card/battery compartment.

Conclusion:

For $200, it’s actually a bargain to get a 5x zoom, decent image quality, and rugged/underwater capability. I’d recommend it to people who don’t want to invest much or who have a good camera already for serious shooting. But if this is to be your main camera, save yourself some trouble and upgrade."

So again, it sounds like your friend needs to evaluate what she will do with this camera. If its to go into a backpack for hiking or on the river for float trips, this sounds like a good thing. but if its to take great snaps at a family reunion, keep looking.

Archived