57 replies to this topic

#1 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,268 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

I'm considering buying a Kindle, but I'm a huge library person. We are there several times a week. I know our library system doesn't support Kindle. I have heard of some d/l that I can add to the Kindle to make them compatible. Does this really work? Has anyone used them with success? The only thing keeping me from buying the Kindle is that library issue!

Thanks for any info you can share!!

#2 PBarnes

PBarnes

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

It's my understanding that Kindle does not support library borrowing at all at this time. I found that out AFTER I bought my Kindle. Grrr. I'm not aware of third party downloads that will make it work but would be interested in someone knows of one. If I had it to do over again, I would seriously consider one of the other brands that do support libraries.

#3 podiumchick

podiumchick

Paparazzi Mom

• Members
  • 6,247 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:46 PM

Nook does. I love my Nook! I love getting library books too!

#4 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,776 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:15 PM

I'm such a "gotta have the book in my hands" geek, Carla - there's just something about holding that book that I can curl up with that makes it good. I considered the Nook or the Kindle - guess I'm just not ready for it yet. Let us know what you decide. They are very interesting and I'd like to borrow someone's and try reading first - just not sure I'd get the same satisfaction from reading a book on something electronic, but that's just me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • 12,430 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

I'm such a "gotta have the book in my hands" geek, Carla - there's just something about holding that book that I can curl up with that makes it good. I considered the Nook or the Kindle - guess I'm just not ready for it yet. Let us know what you decide. They are very interesting and I'd like to borrow someone's and try reading first - just not sure I'd get the same satisfaction from reading a book on something electronic, but that's just me.

Sara, I was the same way "curl up with the book", but I am absolutely in love with my KINDLE! Carla, I don't know of a way to get the library books on it either, some of your purchased books can be shared among Kindle users, so if you and I have a kindle and there is a book I have you can borrow it for 2 weeks! As long as the publisher has set the sharing to OK so this isn't for all titles. You will love it if you get one!

gallery_10753_358_55511.png
Button_Welcome.pngSG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#6 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

Sara, I was the same way "curl up with the book", but I am absolutely in love with my KINDLE! Carla, I don't know of a way to get the library books on it either, some of your purchased books can be shared among Kindle users, so if you and I have a kindle and there is a book I have you can borrow it for 2 weeks! As long as the publisher has set the sharing to OK so this isn't for all titles. You will love it if you get one!

Thanks, Shannon - I guess I really do need to borrow my friends Kindle and see if I like it. She doesn't go anywhere without it anymore and raves about it. I might like it if I try it!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,351 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

Someone mentioned a little program that will convert the file type you can get at the library to a kindle compatible file. I didn't write it down, but I think it was in a thread here somewhere.
I'm really liking my kindle, but not liking that some books cost more than you can buy the real book for. Those prices are set by the publisher, but it just seems wrong somehow- there is no printing cost for them, and I really can't share or sell it like I can a real book. I suppose I should write the publisher and tell them why I won't buy a kindle version of their book and choose to use the library instead.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#8 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

So far, I haven't had any problem with the kindle version being priced higher than the "real" book. The book-sharing is a fairly new feature and I haven't tried it yet, so not sure how well it works. Sara, when I put a nice leather cover on my kindle, it looks and feels like a book and I curl up with it all the time. I read it in the morning with my coffee, I read it on planes, I read it in bed at night. I was resistant at first because I LOVE books, but when I got it, it is enough like a book, I just love it. There are a few books I'll still buy in the printed version, like photography books with lots of color illustrations, but otherwise, its kindle for most all my book purchases ( and I buy just about as many books as scrapping supplies LOL.)
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 8,299 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

There is a program on the web called "Calibre" that converts files. It is how I got my Scrpagirl class PDF files on my Kindle. It's not always a perfect conversion, but it's better than nothing. I am not sure if it would do a library book, I am not sure how that would work with copyrights and whatnot. I do enjoy my Kindle, however I thought there would be more free and reduced priced books out there. Go to the Kindle section of Amazon and there is a section of free books and a section on borrowing books that gives some good links, check out their forums, too for tips. My library system is not on any of the ones mentioned, however.

I seriously considered a Nook for this reason: it reads more file types. It just so happens that my Barnes and Noble has terrible customer service, which made me leery of spending that kind of money with them.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

So far, I haven't had any problem with the kindle version being priced higher than the "real" book. The book-sharing is a fairly new feature and I haven't tried it yet, so not sure how well it works. Sara, when I put a nice leather cover on my kindle, it looks and feels like a book and I curl up with it all the time. I read it in the morning with my coffee, I read it on planes, I read it in bed at night. I was resistant at first because I LOVE books, but when I got it, it is enough like a book, I just love it. There are a few books I'll still buy in the printed version, like photography books with lots of color illustrations, but otherwise, its kindle for most all my book purchases ( and I buy just about as many books as scrapping supplies LOL.)

Thanks for telling me about the leather cover! That might just be what it takes to put me "on the right page" (lol) and take the plunge. I do love my books! I'm not usually this resistant to change - but thanks, Carla for starting this thread. You all have me thinking now........whatcha' think, Carla?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 PBarnes

PBarnes

• Members
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:18 PM

I have a leather cover for my Kindle too and it really does make it like a real book. :)

#12 tinkerbell11

tinkerbell11

Collector of shoes, wearer of FLIP FLOPS

• Creative Team
  • 12,430 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

My leather cover is Purple! LOL and I have a pretty flowery skin for my kindle too!

gallery_10753_358_55511.png
Button_Welcome.pngSG_BB_LoveThis.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#13 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:37 PM

OK, now y'all are really making me want one! I like to always have something to read with me.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 AnnBK

AnnBK

Glitter Goddess

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm a HUGE Kindle fan! In fact, I just finished a "real" book for my book club and didn't like holding it! And the cover is a must. You will want something to protect your screen for sure, so just get a full cover. One feature that I really, really like is the built in dictionary. If you run across an unfamiliar word, just scroll down to it and the definition and pronunciation will appear at the bottom of the screen. I have Kindle for computer on both my Mac and PC laptop and the downloading instructions from my library's e-book collection imply that I can open their files with it. I haven't tried it, but I'll give it a whirl tonight. Consider that you can carry around literally thousands of books in that tiny little space and if you run out of something to read, you can download something new in seconds. And if you don't want to carry your entire library around, Amazon will archive as much as you want and they will be available for retrieval at any time. I have tried the sharing feature, and it works great. Also, you can add pdf files through your personal Kindle e-mail address. My only regret is that, like everything electronic, my Kindle at 1.5 years old is almost obsolete! Hope all that helps in making your decision.

gallery_6597_304_5120.gif<p>BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifScrap10-Blinkie.gif

#15 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 30,268 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Thank you for all the input! I know I want one, I just am leary to actually do it!

Thanks Melanie, that is one of the programs I found. Call me cheap, but I don't like to buy books that I will never read again when the library has them for free and can get any book I want for 50 cents if they don't have it at that location. I'm having problems letting go of the actual book, too, lol!

#16 SodScrap

SodScrap

SGU Teacher's Pet

• Welcoming Committee
  • 14,902 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

I love my Kindle!! I love the way the screen reads, no glare!! No bent or wrinkled pages. It never loses the bookmark and no big book to lug around! ;)

I don't know anything about that other stuff....

gallery_12013_66_4024.png

ShredButton.pngSG_Olympian.pngButton_Welcome.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif
SG-9-Anniversary-SugarNSpice-Blinkie.gif

#17 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

Can you see the Kindle outside? Conda said no glare so I'm assuming one can? I love to sit outside and read.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 AggieB

AggieB

• Members
  • 12,698 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

I recently got a Kindle and am enjoying it very much. It is very light & easy to hold. I don't know if the instant download is good or bad, lol, but I've used it. My biggest gripes are, like someone said above the price of a lot of books is the same as a paper one. That just doesn't seem right. I'd also like the publisher to spend some of that ill-gotten loot on a few proof-readers. Finally, the non-fiction section isn't that great yet. That said, I am really enjoying my new toy. My books have been threatening to overrun my home & I love how portable this is - I can have many books along with me, to pick one as the mood indicates. The advertising for the newest model says you can read it in bright sun. I haven't tried that yet.

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

#19 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Lounge chair by the pool, cool beverage in a plastic cup, bright sun and slight breeze, and my kindle....a little piece of heaven....Oh pool boy! I need a refill please.

And my leather cover is purple too.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

#20 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,776 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

Lounge chair by the pool, cool beverage in a plastic cup, bright sun and slight breeze, and my kindle....a little piece of heaven....Oh pool boy! I need a refill please.

And my leather cover is purple too.

Yea! So guess that means it's good to go in the sunshine! Now all I need to do is convince Rich to put in a pool! LOL Thanks, Sandy.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#21 JenW

JenW

Just call me Scrapalicious!

• Members
  • 3,010 posts
  • Personal Statement:"Blessed are the children of scrapbookers, for they shall inherit the scrapbooks."

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thank you for all the input! I know I want one, I just am leary to actually do it!

Thanks Melanie, that is one of the programs I found. Call me cheap, but I don't like to buy books that I will never read again when the library has them for free and can get any book I want for 50 cents if they don't have it at that location. I'm having problems letting go of the actual book, too, lol!

Carla, I totally agree with you! I am way to cheap! My hubby recently got an iPad and we have both the nook and kindle on it. I haven't used it much for two reasons. The main reason is my kids are always on the iPad planing games and when I do sit down with it they are asking me when I am getting off so they can play their games and then when hubby comes home from work it becomes his and off limits to everyone. It makes getting into a good book hard. Plus the iPad has back lighting where as the real Kindle and Nook do not. But my second reason for not using it is the fact that I don't want to buy books that I am only going to read once. I'm cheap, I like my library. They really need to come out with a better library system for these gadgets. Other wise, I think the real kindle is very cool. I have seen my friends and if I wasn't so cheap I would totally have my own!
Good luck with your decision.

#22 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 8,299 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

I know there are some refurbished Nooks around, and they do have an e-ink version that is not backlit. They come with a limited warranty, also. I am not sure about refurbished Kindles, but it may be worth looking into to save a few dollars.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 bikeneday

bikeneday

• Members
  • 3,083 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

I love my Kindle for a variety of reasons. I was skeptical, being a librarian and all....but I love the way it handles, the lightness, the no glare in the sun; plus the fact that I downloaded the Kindle app onto my Droid and can read the same book in two places. Or DH can read one and I can read the other. The books sync to the last page read (as long as the wireless is turned on on the Kindle otherwise you can do it manually by number). I was sure I didn't want one, but I am lovin' it. I have two covers, one is very soft and a bit of a jersey/spongy feel, the other hard, but not leather. I use that one for traveling so the screen is more protected. At home, I usually just leave the cover off and hold the kindle itself.
Posted Image

#24 BarbaraC1977

BarbaraC1977

Organizational Diva -- loves to play with supplies!

• Members
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

I'm loving my NookColor. The backlight is enough, along with the variations in text color/background color, that I was able to read in a VERY bright car this weekend while going to and from New Mexico. I love that I can stream Pandora while reading. I love that it gets library books. The "article view" for magazines is incredibly nice, and you can still see the overall page as well. I love that I can load my layouts to show friends, and my SG supply previews to peruse when I'm waiting at an appointment. Its Sudoku app is cool, too. I haven't played with all its features, but after a month or so, you'd have a hard time prying it out of my fingers!

gallery_17172_358_42296.png
Scrap10-Blinkie.gif  SGblinkie.gif  SG_BB_LoveThis.png  BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif
Scrapper | Wife | Mother | Friend | Soprano | Traveler
Rotarian | CEO, Auction Systems
| Recovering Perfectionist

#25 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,351 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

I got the lighted leather cover in pink. :) My purse is green, my wallet is pink, I have a pink and green thing going there.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

Scrap10-Blinkie.gif

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#26 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:56 AM

Add me to the list of new Kindle owners. I've had mine just under a month now. I had a lot of the same concerns about buying it. The library factor, the book-sharing factor, the feel of a book in my hands, and so on.

I have to agree... with the cover, it does feel like a real book, and I've even gotten so into a book on it already that I've tried turning pages out of habit.

There are lots of free books available and lots of 99 cents books, too. I haven't tried sharing books yet though, and I'm not sure how to do that.

You can read it outside in the bright sun... that's one of the first things I tried, since I LOVE curling up on the hammock under our walnut tree in the summer with my book.

My battery is just a little under a half-charge and I've only charged it once... so it really does hold a battery charge for a month, even kept on all day (in standby mode, but I read at least an hour each evening).

I'm so convinced now that I've even started considering buying each of my older children their own Kindle for Christmas this year. They are just hitting that stage in school where they have required novels to read, and since most of the classics are free, I think it would make a great gift for them.

Oh yeah, my leather cover is PURPLE, too. :)

#27 MargotW

MargotW

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Carla,

I have had my Nook for a year and absolutely love it! One of the big features for me was being able to go to the library! I can go whenever I feel like it and download my books and keep them for 2 weeks - no overdue fees since they automatically deactivate. The new color Nook is backlit which I don't like for reading.

Another feature I liked about the Nook is that when the battery needs replacing, you can do it yourself. With the Kindle you have to send it back to the manufacturer at a cost of approx $100.

Hope this helps!
Posted Image

I shoot with a SONY A300 and scrap with PSE8

#28 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 30,268 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:57 PM

Ok, I took the plunge and bought the Kindle! I got a white one, and now I'm off to find a cover for it! It's still in the box and I'll have to check it out later! Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and advice!

#29 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

• Members
  • 50,776 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

Woo-Hoo, Carla! You took the plunge! I'm still tossing the idea around in my head. I hope you enjoy it.

Becca, thanks for all of the info on it and I'm really happy you like yours so much. I think I would really like one.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#30 AnnBK

AnnBK

Glitter Goddess

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:53 PM

Good for you Carla! Let me know if you're interested in "borrowing" anything from my archives. It's a very simple process and doesn't cost a dime.

gallery_6597_304_5120.gif<p>BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifScrap10-Blinkie.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users