57 replies to this topic

#31 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

We should start a kindle exchange thread here. LOL. Now that so many of us are kindle owners, we could post books we've read and if someone wanted to borrow it we could exchange books.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 Becca

Becca

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:47 AM

We should start a kindle exchange thread here. LOL. Now that so many of us are kindle owners, we could post books we've read and if someone wanted to borrow it we could exchange books.

I like this idea, Sandi!

#33 princessrunningfingers

princessrunningfingers

I'll Have You In Stitches In No Time

• Members
  • 18,037 posts
  • Personal Statement:I am an avid stitcher, reader, and of course Scrap Girls Addict.

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

I have been watching this thread, and am excited to find out about being able to borrow library books on my Nook. Our little library in our town doesn't appear to support that yet, but we are checking into one at the Naval Base. Otherwise we would have to pay $50 a year to join the Memphis library.

gallery_15063_3635_1064.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifSG_Olympian.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#34 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

That is a great idea about borrowing books from each other! I only have Pride and Prejudice on mine so far, rofl, but I'll be shopping this afternoon after I finish the book I have from the library. I do plan to try out that software Melanie mentioned and I'll let you know how it works with ePub formatted books from the library. Now, I have to figure out how to keep it out of my dd's hands, lol!

#35 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,096 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:28 AM

I'd be in for borrowing/lending kindle books. Much of what I've read so far has been free, but I finished Switched last night and started Torn by Amanda Hocking. I love that you can just download the sequel...

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#36 mimes1

mimes1

Loving This Purple Place

• Creative Team
  • 6,956 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:40 AM

Yay!

SG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngButton_Published.png

#37 Cheri T

Cheri T

Scrap Woman

• Design Team
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:58 AM

Good for you Carla! :) I think you'll be happy with it; I love mine. I am still very much a library girl too and still check things out from there. But I always have my Kindle in my purse so I never get stuck without something to read.

My leather cover was lime green (my fav), but the metal prongs of it were causing an electric problem with my Kindle, so i had to ditch it. I haven't purchased another yet, and I should b/c I miss the cover and it certainly helped protect it.

tn_gallery_7171_358_48818.png
Button_Designer.pngButton_Published.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#38 Sheri Johnson

Sheri Johnson

Scissor Samurai

• Design Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

I am a huge ebook supporter/lover/reader/etc! I have two nooks; Yes, you heard me right! I bought a nook classic and then when the nook color came out, well.. I couldn't help myself. ;)

ps- Melanie, mine is a refurbished classic nook and it works beautifully. I also got my brother one and his is good too, good as new.

pps- Also, there are a TON of free books in the public domain, especially if you like classics. All you have to do is search a little. "Project Gutenberg" is one of the big free book sites and they support both nook & kindle.

Attached Files

Sheri Johnson

Posted Image Posted Image

Featured Products:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#39 naninca

naninca

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:03 AM

Ooooh - off to check out Project Gutenberg! I have a few books on my Kindle, but I'm not liking the pricing. Or the proofreading (or rather the lack thereof!). I also have a hot pink cover for mine. I have a hubby and four sons, so I make my stuff PINK!

Thanks for the lead - more reading for me!

Nancy

#40 Becca

Becca

• Members
  • 10,709 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:15 AM

Cheri, I'm with you! I love that I can just toss my Kindle in my purse and have it with me at all times.

I just finished a book on my Kindle last night, and I'm off to check out Project Gutenberg for another. Thanks for the tip!

#41 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

Update: My Kindle has been hijacked by my 8 yr old. She is obsessed with it!! But she's reading, so it's not all bad, lol. My new cover should be here today, so I'm excited for that! I've seen Project Gutenburg mentioned on different sites and didn't know what it was. Thanks for the info! I've also downloaded Calibre and I hope to check it out this week.

Aside from sharing the kindle with Lauren, I really like it. I wasn't sure because I was having trouble finding a book to read...which would have been the same with a paper book. But now that I have, I really like it!

#42 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 8,120 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Carla, right now Amaozon has some Kindle games on sale for 99 cents each. I got Hangman and Scrabble for the kids to play, it sure beats anything they have on the DS in my opinion. I was surprised that they were actually fighting over who was going to get to play them in the car yesterday. I think they also have Tic Tac Toe and Soduku on sale. Also, if you search Gooseberry Patch, there are several free cookbooks available.

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#43 Cheri T

Cheri T

Scrap Woman

• Design Team
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info on the games, etc Melanie! I just downloaded a few:)

Button_Designer.pngButton_Published.pngSGblinkie.gifSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gif

#44 Sheri Johnson

Sheri Johnson

Scissor Samurai

• Design Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:40 PM

Barnes & Noble has a free book every week. So far I've read 3 or 4 of them and I know Amazon always seems to offer the same ones for free (gotta love competition!)
They are not always books I would have picked out but it is kind of interesting to be exposed to new genres.
Everyone loves free, right?

I wonder how many of us have pink covers? :)
Sheri Johnson

Featured Products:

#45 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the info, Melanie! I'm going to check that out for our upcoming trip! My cover came today and it's light blue. Very cute, lol!

#46 Smiles

Smiles

• Welcoming Committee
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

There are many wonderful and hard to find children's classics available through Project Gutenberg. I was finally able to re-read all the 5 Little Peppers and some of the Dr. Doolittle books. The L.Frank Baum Oz books are available as well.

One of the major publishing houses just announced they won't support libraries for e-books in the future. They are looking at a limited time/checkout license, which would be quite expensive for libraries.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 KFiasco

KFiasco

• Members
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:56 PM

I got a Kindle for my Mom for Xmas and with my account I got the app for my laptop and iPhone. We like the same types of books sometimes and I have the sudoku game on the Kindle and love it. Have a few others too, but love sudoku.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#48 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 08:11 AM

I downloaded a bunch of games last night. Then the kindle froze on a screen and it wouldn't do anything! I figured out how to fix it, but it sure gave me a scare! I played a few of the games and they are fun. It will be great on the flight when we go on vacation next month....as long as I get to have it and not Lauren!

#49 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,757 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:32 AM

Sounds as if you are enjoying your new Kindle, Carla! Awesome!

Maybe Santa is thinking about a Kindle for Lauren for Christmas? LOL
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#50 Cheri T

Cheri T

Scrap Woman

• Design Team
  • 12,139 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

Carla, did you have the Kindle in its cover when it froze? And if so, do you have the leather cover from Amazon that has metal posts?
It's discussed here: Post Problem
and gave me fits with my cover until DH figured it out. I haven't had the cover back on my Kindle since and it's been fine.

#51 Sheri Johnson

Sheri Johnson

Scissor Samurai

• Design Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

Gayle, that is really bad news! It is so convenient getting the ebooks at the library. :(

Carla, I've heard that happens when it runs out of power and charging will fix it. Now we are all curious how you fixed the frozen screen!

Karen, I love sodoku too! I finally learned how to play it thanks to having it on the nook.
Sheri Johnson

Featured Products:

#52 April Showers

April Showers

Boutique Diva

• Admin
  • 42,096 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

Mine froze up once- and I didn't have the cover yet. I haven't had any problems with the leather cover from Amazon. I simply "googled" it and found it was a pretty easy fix. It just needed to be re-set.

gallery_5375_358_11104.pngMy Gallery I scrap with Photoshop CS6.

SGblinkie.gifButton_Layout.pngSG-10thAnniversary-Blinkie.gifButton_Welcome_Mgr.pngBLINKIES_MOM-Past.gif

#53 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

I did have the cover on, but the only metal on it is the "button" closure. I did a hard reboot and it fixed it. I was worried it was the cover, too. I only used it for a short time this morning and it was fine. If it keeps happening, I'll be sure to leave the cover off and see if that is the problem.

#54 KFiasco

KFiasco

• Members
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 11:47 PM

My mom's has frozen a few times. We don't have a cover, so that wasn't the reason. Just did the google thing too and rebooted.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 08:20 AM

I really got into my book last night and read for about 2 hours. I didn't have any problems, and neither did dd. She finished her book already, so maybe she won't be taking off with it any time soon! When I first had problems, I was checking out the games I had just d/l. Maybe it was something to do with that. I am really enjoying the Kindle and I don't know why I waited!

#56 Sheri Johnson

Sheri Johnson

Scissor Samurai

• Design Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:41 AM

Interesting. Mine has frozen before and I rebooted it. All in all though I think it works great. I am totally addicted to my nook, I don't know how I ever lived without it! It has helped me turn to books in my free time instead of watching movies or playing computer games. I think it was the best investment I've made in a long time.
Sheri Johnson

Featured Products:

#57 Ande43

Ande43

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts
  • Personal Statement:Remember the little things for one day you will look back, and realize they were the BIG things

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

I'm such a "gotta have the book in my hands" geek, Carla - there's just something about holding that book that I can curl up with that makes it good. I considered the Nook or the Kindle - guess I'm just not ready for it yet. Let us know what you decide. They are very interesting and I'd like to borrow someone's and try reading first - just not sure I'd get the same satisfaction from reading a book on something electronic, but that's just me.

I feel the same way....My daughter has a Nook and wants me to get one too so we can share books...I just seem to be dragging my feet...could it possibly be the over 400 "Books" that are on my shelves that I have not read??? I can not resist a garage sale or even the Book Section of WalMart or Target...I am a "Cover" person....the picture draws me and....just put a dog on the front and no decision I buy. I am not a library user...but perhaps I would with a Nook. It would be great for a trip or on Vacation...DD loves the email and Internet use with it. I'm sure I will give in soon...maybet they will be cheaper soon too.
Untitled 1

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#58 CRS

CRS

Scrappin' with CS5

• Welcoming Committee
  • 29,887 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

I resisted for a long time, too. I love to hold books and turn pages, but this Kindle is great. I love being able to get a book right away, and with the cover, it's just like holding a book. The games are fun, too. Even my 8 yr old loves it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users