Feb Sg Club Ribbon Letters

Lor Bel

I am using PSE 9. In the Feb. SG club, I played around with the ribbon letters trying to get a more detail/texture look of the ribbon. In the LO by Brandy, the ribbon looks so real. I could see some ribbon detail in my attempt, but not like hers. I filled the template with a color, then went to enhance>adjust color>hue/ saturation and played around there. I did go thru the forum and found a link to "Coloring ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates". One suggestion was " Sometimes, just recoloring an item will leave it looking a little bit flat. You can make your element look more realistic by duplicating the original template before you start coloring. ? ?? (did not understand this next sentence) "When you have worked with the color on the top layer, play with the Blend Modes, at the top of your Layers Palette, to blend the top layer with the bottom layer. ??? This will allow even more of the shading and texture to really come through. You can also adjust the curves or the brightness and contrast to lighten or darken the final product.

My question is, how can I get the ribbon to looked more detailed?

The other question is how to get the photo inside the " B" as in Brandy's LO.

Thanks so much for any suggestions.

Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I might be able to help you a little with this. First, don't add the color directly to the template. Change the foreground color chip to the color you want the ribbon to be, then go to Enhance>Adjust Color>Hue/Saturation (shortcut Ctrl+U). When the box opens up, be sure to check the colorize box. Then just play with the Saturation and Lightness sliders to get the color, shading, detail you want. When you are satisfied with how the ribbon looks, click OK.

Here is a link to a thread that will explain putting a picture in the opening - just pretend the opening is a frame and follow the instructions here in post #3

I'm not real sure about this sentence:

"When you have worked with the color on the top layer, play with the Blend Modes, at the top of your Layers Palette, to blend the top layer with the bottom layer. ???

Maybe someone else will come along who can explain that to you. Hope this helps you some. Let us know if you need more help.

Hi Laurie!

Blendng Modes are amazing. They really can make things look so real. PSE9 has them. I use PSE8, but I'm sure they are in about the same place. Once you have your ribbon open (duplicate only, not the original), duplicate the layer (short cut ctrl+J). Use the Hue/Saturation like Theresa recommended above to get the color you want on the top layer. Then go just to the top of your Laryers Palate (right above where all your layers are listed -- mines to the right of my working file). You will see a little drop down menu that says Normal. Click on the arrow and a whole menu shows up. I like using Multiply to get darker colors or Overlay to get similar color to what I've made with the hue/sat. Play with the opacity also and see what you get. Blending Modes are amazing. You can do tons with them. Watch out, you'll soon be addicted. They area bit tricky at first, but they become fast friends!

HTH! Keep asking if it doesn't help.

Debbie

Theresa gave you some good advice, that is the easiest way to color an template to begin. Another way is to create a blank layer on top of your embellishment, fill it with the color of your choice with the paint bucket tool, clip it to the template by holding down control and hitting J, then change the blending mode of the color layer. (Try Overlay first)

What this means: "When you have worked with the color on the top layer, play with the Blend Modes, at the top of your Layers Palette, to blend the top layer with the bottom layer. ???"

That just means to duplicate the Ribbon Initial before coloring it. Color it as Theresa or I have told you. When you have it like you want it, simplify it or merge your color layer and your ribbon together into one layer. Then change the blending mode of the color ribbon (Try Overlay) Make sure the color ribbon is on top of the gray one. You will get even more texture doing it this way, but it's just an option.

I find myself doing it the one Brandy described most often now. I seem to get the best results that way. Every now and then I do have to duplicate the item to get the look I want but not every time. Have fun learning and playing! I know I do!

Archived