Tip About Shadows

DiannaC

I was just reading the latest issue of Photoshop Creative (I hope its okay to reference this magazine)(Issue No. 71 - Its new here in U.S. It's a U.K. magazine and I think Barnes & Noble gets it a month later than the U.K.). It has a 7 page article on layer styles in Photoshop. I haven't gotten a chance (dang work!)to really read the article but this was a highlighted tip that I saw and thought I would share:

"Tip: Move your shadow with the drop shadow open in the Layer Style dialog box, go over to your canvas and just click and drag to move the shadow where you want it. The Angle and Distance controls update accordingly. This same trick can also easily work for the inner shadow, satin, gradient overly and pattern overly."

I had thought that you had to have the shadow on a separate layer to move it where you wanted it easily. I use the Scrap Girls shadow styles, but after applying them, I think this means I can go into the layer style dialog box and move the shadow where exactly I want it. Can't wait to try it out!

Wow, Dianna, this is a fabulous tip! Thanks for sharing.

Something else I discovered while playing with this: if you have "global light" checked, it will move the shadows of other objects as well. There seems to be a limit on how far it will move the other shadows, but it does it.

This is great when you have many objects that are similar. When you're adjusting the size of the shadow for just one object, and don't want the change applied to others, you may want to go back to the conventional method of adjusting a shadow.

Thanks again for this really useful tip!

Something else I discovered while playing with this: if you have "global light" checked, it will move the shadows of other objects as well. There seems to be a limit on how far it will move the other shadows, but it does it.

This is great when you have many objects that are similar. When you're adjusting the size of the shadow for just one object, and don't want the change applied to others, you may want to go back to the conventional method of adjusting a shadow.

Great additional tip, Barbara. I'm going to try that out too. I've been so busy, I haven't been able to scrap anything in about 4 days. Now that my daughter has her two benchmark essays done, we got a major project done at work, and I'm less stressed, perhaps I can get some good scrapping done in the next few days, and definitely try these tricks. LOL

Tried it yesterday...love it! Thanks again for a great tip, Dianna.

Oh good, Rose Ann, I'm so glad you tried it. It's on my list for the weekend. Doesn't look like I'm getting to it anytime sooner than that

Archived