Looking For Recommendations For Self-help Type Books

Lisanne

I LOVE reading, but I am in school and the majority of the reading I do these days is school related--not a bad thing, but I do enjoy some personal material now and then. :justthinkingabout it:

My taste in reading material is quite eclectic--I like romance, mystery/drama, history/biography, autobiography, thriller, self-help, etc.--depending upon my current state of mind.

Right now I am in a self-help reading mode. Has anyone read any self-help type books lately that you would recommend? I realize that could be a broad category, but I am willing to read just about anything that has touched someone. Anything about living life, health/nutrition, child rearing, religion, etc.

I look forward to any and all suggestions! :thanks:

~Lisa

Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance is a real classic. It's set up as a reading for each day of the year. She has a number of other books out, most of which aren't quite up to the standard of her first. Her latest book, Peace and Plenty, is about financial abundance.

Another excellent writer is Cheryl Richardson, especially her The Art of Extreme Self Care. I like her writing so much I bought all her books.

Any of Louise Hay's books are very inspiring.

Thank you gals for your suggestions--I can't wait to check them out! I plan on visiting Amazon later today.

• 1 month later...

I know you posted this a while ago, but how about So Long Insecurity by Beth More, I am just finishing it up and it was great

I LOVE reading, but I am in school and the majority of the reading I do these days is school related--not a bad thing, but I do enjoy some personal material now and then. :justthinkingabout it:

My taste in reading material is quite eclectic--I like romance, mystery/drama, history/biography, autobiography, thriller, self-help, etc.--depending upon my current state of mind.

Right now I am in a self-help reading mode. Has anyone read any self-help type books lately that you would recommend? I realize that could be a broad category, but I am willing to read just about anything that has touched someone. Anything about living life, health/nutrition, child rearing, religion, etc.

I look forward to any and all suggestions! :thanks:

~Lisa

An old self-help classic full of wisdom is M. Scott Peck's "The Road Less Traveled". Its from the early 80s, but what a great book. I'm a big Peck fan and got to meet him one time. It opens; "Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult--once we truly understand and accept it---then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."

• 6 months later...

Sarah Ban Breathnach's Simple Abundance is a real classic. It's set up as a reading for each day of the year. She has a number of other books out, most of which aren't quite up to the standard of her first. Her latest book, Peace and Plenty, is about financial abundance.

Another excellent writer is Cheryl Richardson, especially her The Art of Extreme Self Care. I like her writing so much I bought all her books.

Any of Louise Hay's books are very inspiring.

I'm a Simple abundance fan from way back. It is my all time favourite book, which I have read about 4 times. Any of Louise Hay's books too. especially " The Power Is Within you". I also love "You Can Do It" which I found so motivational. Kay

• 6 months later...

Hey Lisa

If you are still looking for Self-help type books, I would like to recommend:

Achieve Anything In Just One Year by Jason Harvey

It is a very inspirational book that will really get you to think about what you really want out of life.

Not exactly self-help, but could be, is Gretchen Rubin's The Happiness Project. It chronicles her year-long quest to bring increased happiness into her life. I'm about half-way through it now and am enjoying it immensely. While I would not want to do exactly as she has done, I've gotten several ideas of things I can change in my life. Its sort of like scrap lifting for life....use it for inspiration, but then make it your own.

Archived