Which Camera To Buy?

Alethea

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera for myself for my birthday. I've been doing my homework, but hear so much. Some say buy used, other say buy new. Some say Canon, others say Nikon. I want to be able to take video as well. I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm looking to buy within the next couple days, so I can practice over spring break (I'm a teacher, so I'll have some time off). Please help!!! Also, my kids play sports, so that's a big factor as well.

I got my Canon T2i last year, after researching information. I found the Nikon and Canon are the top of the line and Nikon, is used more by professional photographers than any other. I'm not a pro but wanted a good camera. I found that the T2i was easier to understand the settings - at least the terminology on the camera itself seemed to make a bit of sense to me. lol Also, my Canon is movie compatible and from what I was told at the time, the Canon takes better movies, because they cater to the consumer a bit more. I'm very happy with my choice, which does take excellent photos and movies, in spite of who's behind the camera. roflol Good luck with your search and I hope you get exactly what you want. :happy-birthday: :-)

I use a Nikon D90. I've been very happy with it. I probably wouldn't buy a used one though unless I knew the person and the camera's history. Also, the newer ones have way better light sensitivity. I upgraded from a D70 to a D90- and the difference for some of the indoor theatre shots I was taking was the equivalent of a very spendy lens.

I think Heather is right on target with her recommendation. Your'e so right....people either fall into the Canon or Nikon category, though Olympus and Sony are really getting it together with their consumer cameras. But I am finding many pros who are die-hard Canon shooters...google Canon Explorers of Light. I've taken classes and workshops with several pros who have used both and like Canon better. One thing that does seem consistent among the pros is that they almost all use Mac computers. Right now I'm using a Canon 7D, great video. I've also used the Rebel XT and the Rebel XSi. One deciding factor for me was the ergonomics of the camera. I have very short fingers and I found the equivalent Nikons to be a bit too bulky for me to handle comfortably. Its got to feel good in your hand. Make sure you buy from a reputable dealer too, a camera store may be a better choice than some big box stores as some offer some free classes with purchace. I like to order online from B&H, Adorama or Calumetphoto. If you order through Amazon, they usually use Adorama. Good luck with your new camera, whichever you choose.

like sandi i too am a canon user...have had a bunch of canon cameras and now have the 7D ...i also think the best thing is to go to a store and hold them in your hands... if you do then you will probably find one type more comfortable to hold than another...as sandi said... i also use b and h and order over the phone with them or go to the store...i am near nyc so i can go to the store and if you ever come to nyc i suggest a visit to the store cause it is one amazing and very very big place so it is fun to see.... they ar3e very helpful on the phone and can answer many questions. the delivery is very very fast too... btw i am not sure i agree about pro choices, as i find canon is used my pro photographers just as much or sometimes more than nikon... and canon is known for better lens..i also find lots of pros with pc computers and lots of this pc vs mac and canon vs nikon is just a matter of choice and what you are more comfortable with...they are both excellent choices .... whatever you choose find what fits best for you and learn how to use your camera... use it in manual.... otherwise why buy a dslr? LOL ... it is a fun and never ending journey learning to use your camera..so enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who gave advice!! Well today is the day. I'm getting ready to go buy my "baby." I'm still a weighing my options. It's my first DSL-R, so I going with entry level models. I believe it will be between the Canon T3 or the Nikon D3100. It will depend on the Salesperson's pitch. The nikon has a bundle package deal right now to get the extra 55-200 lens, so it will depend on what I can get for my money. It sounds like I will get a good camera no matter which brand I go with. Thanks again for all your input!!

I can't wait to hear what you've bought and how you like it! I bought my first DSLR (but not my first SLR) just last August and it is really tough to know which way to go. I'm very happy with the Canon I bought. Let us know, ok?

• 1 year later...

I'm looking to buy a DSLR camera for myself for my birthday. I've been doing my homework, but hear so much. Some say buy used, other say buy new. Some say Canon, others say Nikon. I want to be able to take video as well. I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm looking to buy within the next couple days, so I can practice over spring break (I'm a teacher, so I'll have some time off). Please help!!! Also, my kids play sports, so that's a big factor as well.

We are a PENTAX family - husband does photography on the side and only uses PENTAX. Never had any problems with any of our cameras or lenses.

Archived