25 replies to this topic

#1 chelleinga

chelleinga

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:31 PM

So it all started with Percy Jackson and the Olympian Thief. Now I am all about reading the book then seeing how the movie and seeing how much of the book was cut from the specific movie. I am currently reading (on my Nook which I love also!!) The Lincoln Lawyer I am only half way through but so far it is really good...For those of you that saw the movie please don't spoil it for me.

Thank you.
Posted Image

#2 PBarnes

PBarnes

Scrap Girl Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,301 posts
  • Personal Statement:Digitally Addicted!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

I find I almost always enjoy the book version over the movie version. They just can't put everything into the movie that they can in the books. I enjoy the details as much as the story.

#3 KFiasco

KFiasco

• Members
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

I agree with Pat. There is so much more character detail in a book, a good book anyway. I love my books.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 SandiC.

SandiC.

Countess of Classes

• Members
  • 9,344 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:42 PM

99 times out of a hundred, I like the book better. My imagination to fill in the visuals is usually better. LOL.
Posted Image

A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart. ~Author Unknown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 B&K Mom

B&K Mom

Just a girl who loves to scrap!

• Members
  • 9,313 posts
  • Location:Northwest Alaska...loving life on the Last Frontier!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:02 AM

I often AVOID the movie of a book that I loved. I like the images and world that I've created and hate to have someone else's images crowd them out!
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#6 AnnBK

AnnBK

Glitter Goddess

• Members
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:14 AM

This is interesting. My book club always a "classic" read every year, and we also do a book/movie/lunch day. Last year we read East of Eden and then watched the movie (DVD)....we didn't recognize what we were watching...it was totally different! What we all had determined to be the pivotal character wasn't even in the movie version. So, I guess my vote goes to the book...it almost always seems better.

gallery_6597_304_5120.gif

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#7 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,744 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:39 AM

I often AVOID the movie of a book that I loved. I like the images and world that I've created and hate to have someone else's images crowd them out!

Ditto Debbie! I love the images and world I create when reading a book and it's usually always spoiled when I go to see the movie! I do love my books so!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • 21,539 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

I like to read the book first and then watch the movie. It never is the same, but I enjoy the movies anyway.

gallery_19386_314_49430.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#9 mbc72

mbc72

Keep calm and scrap on!

• Creative Team
  • 7,958 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:47 PM

I find that there are very few movies that live up to the books, although like Belle said, I still often enjoy the movie (just never as much as the book!)

gallery_8176_229_23474.png

Button_Layout.pngButton_Published.pngWT-Button-copy.gif
SGblinkie.gifBLINKIES_Blessed.gif

#10 anna

anna

Caramels are only a fad. Chocolate is a permanent thing.

• Creative Team
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

The only time time a movie has even come close to being as good as the book version (in my opinion) was the Princess Bride. And it's not really that the book was as good, it's that they are both funnier when you are familiar with both. But other than that, I always prefer the book to the movie. I love books with great detail and character development, and those get sacrificed too often for special effects and time constraints.
When the going gets tough, the tough eat chocolate.~Unknown
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

My gallery

#11 goodqueenbee

goodqueenbee

Scrappin' my life...

• Members
  • 3,291 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:41 PM

I loved reading the Broker and hesitated to listen to the audio. BUT, the audio book read
WORD FOR WORD the book, so I felt like I read the book twice! Movies never stack up
to the book IMO.

gallery_8693_2271_6883.jpg

My BLOG My GALLERY I scrap in CC7 on my MACbook, or whatever is available!

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_Pblshd.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifButton_Published.png

#12 naninca

naninca

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:11 AM

I agree, most of the time the book is so much better. My one exception would be the Lord of the Rings movies. LOVE LOVE LOVE the series! The books were good, but slow in places. When I saw the trailer for the first movie, I was SO excited! It's also a great series to watch with my boys. We all find things to like!
Nancy

#13 JoannB

JoannB

It's a great day to Scrap!

• Members
  • 4,172 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:24 AM

Well, I think that it's fun when a book gets made into movie-form -- I think, in a lot of ways, it gets people reading. I love to read, and I agree that the book is always better (how can it not be?), but I still have fun watching the movies. :D A while back, I watched "I am Number 4" with my hubby -- then came home, and downloaded the book on my Kindle (didn't even know it =was= a book). :)
check out My Gallery

#14 Sheri Johnson

Sheri Johnson

Scissor Samurai

• Design Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:14 PM

So it all started with Percy Jackson and the Olympian Thief. Now I am all about reading the book then seeing how the movie and seeing how much of the book was cut from the specific movie. I am currently reading (on my Nook which I love also!!) The Lincoln Lawyer I am only half way through but so far it is really good...For those of you that saw the movie please don't spoil it for me.

Thank you.

I loved the Lincoln Lawyer (book) and am waiting to see the movie. I didn't know any of the Percy Jackson series was a movie?! I must see that!
I read a lot of books that were translated to movie. It's kind of fun because you feel like you have a bit of extra detail and backstory as there are always more details in the book!
Here's a few I've read that I can think of: Repossession Mambo - Repo Men (both awesome if you don't mind blood but come on, JUDE LAW makes anything better!); The Help (they are making it a movie I heard); Harry Potter & the Twilight series (I love them both); Five People You Meet in Heaven (amazing book, great tv movie); Water for Elephants (haven't seen the movie yet); The Lovely Bones; The Hunger Games (can't wait for this one!); Pride & Prejudice; Choke (haven't seen movie); The Godfather (I actually enjoy the movie a lot more due to the cast but the book was very good); The Time Traveler's Wife (haven't seen yet); Memoirs of a Geisha (both book & movie were amazing).

Books I would love to become a movie or series: J.D. Robb's In Death series (Nora Roberts) and Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series! Anything by Christopher Moore.
Sheri Johnson

Featured Products:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 AngRoCamp

AngRoCamp

Queen of the Late Night Layouts

• Design Team
  • 10,847 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:23 PM

I'm like Joann and really enjoy when a book is made into a movie and I think it often encourages reading and that's a big bonus. I definitely always read the book first, and have held off on watching movies for a long time if I haven't gotten around to reading the book first.

I love when a book is made into a movie because I thoroughly enjoy experiencing the story a second time, even if it's a bit different. I especially love seeing a great book turned into a great film. There was something truly magical about seeing Hogwarts with my eyes for the first time, not just my imagination :)

I recently really enjoyed the movie adaptation of Water for Elephants. The book had me riveted. The movie was equally as good, in my opinion, and I was truly impressed with the way they made it work.

I'm currently SUPER excited about the upcoming movie, The Help, which I thought was a brilliant read. The previews look very hopeful to me in that I think it will be a great adaptation :)

#16 Ande43

Ande43

Scrap Girl Scrapper Devotee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts
  • Personal Statement:Remember the little things for one day you will look back, and realize they were the BIG things

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

I think the books are always better,,,,but like to see them anyway.
Untitled 1

#17 collettes

collettes

New Scrapper on the Block

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

I just finished One day.. it's good, but of course the book is always 10x better than the movie :going-crazy:

#18 mbechtloff

mbechtloff

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

On the whole, I love a book better than its movie counterpart. Sometimes I like both, even though they may be different (ie. the Harry Potter series, the movies differ from the books a little, but besides a few scenes, I like the movies just as equally).

Actually the only time I've loved the movie more than the book was The Notebook. Its one of my favourite movies of all time so I was super excited to read the book. I was really disappointed with the book and can't believe how they were able to make such as awesome movie out of that book.

I can't wait to read Hunger Games. It sounds fascinating, but with the movie coming out so soon, I plan on watching the movie first and then reading the book, otherwise I feel I will not like the movie at all.

#19 Sara Arell

Sara Arell

Scrap Girls Messageboard Wise One

• Members
  • 50,744 posts
  • Personal Statement:Let There Be Peace On Earth and Let It Begin With Me!

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

Did anyone here read The Help first and then see the movie? I read and re-read the book first and can't say I was disappointed with the movie which I saw after I had read it, but I really loved the book the best!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 tiza126

tiza126

SG Shopaholic

• Welcoming Committee
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I can't wait to read Hunger Games. It sounds fascinating, but with the movie coming out so soon, I plan on watching the movie first and then reading the book, otherwise I feel I will not like the movie at all.

I read the whole Hunger Games trilogy, and can't WAIT to see the movie!!! I'm sure I'll pick apart the differences between the book & the movie, but the storyline will offer enough intensity that I will enjoy the movie regardless. And then I'll probably read the whole series again after seeing the movie.

Did anyone here read The Help first and then see the movie? I read and re-read the book first and can't say I was disappointed with the movie which I saw after I had read it, but I really loved the book the best!

I read The Help. Haven't seen the movie yet, but I've heard great things about it.

gallery_14425_66_70914.gif

(siggy by Conda)

Button_Welcome.png~ SGblinkie.gif~ BLINKIES_Huckleberry.gif~ BLINKIES_BoutiqueBabe.gif

#21 AnnBK

AnnBK

Glitter Goddess

• Members
  • 13,105 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:57 AM

I read THE HELP, was lucky to sit in on a presentation by the author and some of the cast, listened to the audio version and saw the movie. Just to be open and honest here, I have to tell you all, that was my life growing up. The book, the movie, all so spot on. I can't recommend one medium over the other, they are all good. I have the photo of the stairs on the outside of the movie theater where the black patrons were required to enter..my kiddos couldn't believe it. I took them to see it when we were in Texas last Christmas. I can't decide whether I should scrap it or not.

gallery_6597_304_5120.gif

#22 tiza126

tiza126

SG Shopaholic

• Welcoming Committee
  • 16,651 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

I read THE HELP, was lucky to sit in on a presentation by the author and some of the cast, listened to the audio version and saw the movie. Just to be open and honest here, I have to tell you all, that was my life growing up. The book, the movie, all so spot on. I can't recommend one medium over the other, they are all good. I have the photo of the stairs on the outside of the movie theater where the black patrons were required to enter..my kiddos couldn't believe it. I took them to see it when we were in Texas last Christmas. I can't decide whether I should scrap it or not.

I would love to see a layout about that, if you can bring yourself to make one.

gallery_14425_66_70914.gif

(siggy by Conda)

Button_Welcome.png~ SGblinkie.gif~ BLINKIES_Huckleberry.gif~ BLINKIES_BoutiqueBabe.gif

#23 kimmybutton

kimmybutton

Livin' in the purple moment!

• Design Team
  • 8,006 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:04 AM

Wow! Pretty interesting, Ann! You should definitely scrap that! Did you happen to meet Mike Vogel in the cast discussion? He was in the movie and received a SAG award and we know him and his parents very well.

I like the books better than the movie too! I will usually watch the movies but can't help but notice how much is left out or changed. I thought Water For Elephants was pretty good. I'm also looking forward to The Hunger Games. I think the most disappointed I ever have been with a movie version was Bonfire Of The Vanities. The casting was totally off and they tried to make it more of a.comedy. I think the movie flopped. I was excited to see that the Janet Evanovich book was coming out -- but I have seen the casting and think it's all wrong. Just my two cents.
kimmy **Only she who attempts the absurd, achieves the impossible.**
Product Designer

Newest Collections (click on images below to see boutique product page)

My Products My Gallery

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#24 rpierce61

rpierce61

Super Scrapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Personal Statement:I'll never grow up and I'll never grow old...blame it on the love of rock and roll!

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

I agree, most of the time the book is so much better. My one exception would be the Lord of the Rings movies. LOVE LOVE LOVE the series! The books were good, but slow in places. When I saw the trailer for the first movie, I was SO excited! It's also a great series to watch with my boys. We all find things to like!
Nancy

I fell in love with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in high school (I'm 51 now). The LOTR movies are wonderful, though Peter Jackson did take some liberties and not all of them made me happy. It was nice, though, after all these years to see it come to life. Looking forward to his version of The Hobbit now.

#25 Belle

Belle

• Members
  • 21,539 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:01 AM

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich opens here next week. If they make a mess of this fun book, I might just have to come over there with a cricket bat........

gallery_19386_314_49430.jpg

BLINKIES_MOM-Past.gifBLINKIES_wise1.gifWT-Button-copy.gif

#26 AggieB

AggieB

• Members
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:14 PM

A lot of times, I find that the characters in a movie don't look like I imagined them - sometimes that little thing makes it too hard to get into the movie. I've also found errors in the translation which annoys me no end.

gallery_17848_304_78298.gif

December 2010 Member of the Month

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users