What Is Newest Version Of Photoshop 7.0

scrapperluv

Hi all,

I've had Photoshop 7.0 for about 5 years now. I don't use it very much and only know how to do a few things on it so far, but I've just decided I want to learn more. Now I'm thinking...hhhmmm, there are much better versions out there since 7.0 came on the market. Which one is the next (or newest) version of Photoshop 7.0? There are so many out there! Is it Creative Suite?

I know Elements is a lighter version and great for scrapbooking. I think I should stick to the full version,though, since that is what I'm used to and I can do more on it BUT it would be nice to have an easier version (like Elements) to learn on. Decisions, decisions!

In the past I've mainly used 7.0 for removing things from photos with the clone tool and healing brush. Does elements have these? Can I edit photos and have them printed through Shutterfly like I do with the photos I alter on 7.0?

Thanks for any suggestions and input!

The newest version of Photoshop is CS5 and the newest Elements is PSE9. If you can afford it, I'd stick with the full version of Photoshop. It's easier to use and load things like actions, shapes and styles. Also, you can record actions and make paths, which you can't do in Elements (at least thru version 7). Don't get me wrong -- LOTS of folks use and love Elements and it is very reasonably priced and has lots of excellent features. But the full version does have its perks and advantages (along with increased price...). Good luck finding whatever works for you!

And to answer your questions (sorry! I get ahead of myself! LOL):

PSE does have a clone stamp tool and healing brush and you can edit and print photos at any online printer of your choice. PSE saves files in the same formats as PS.

(Even though I have a version of PSE7, I exclusively use CS3. While many features are the same (between PSE and PS), I don't find the interface at all similar and I had a LOT of difficulty trying to use PSE. I did copy some of the styles out of it (mainly the plastics, which don't come with the full version), but then I uninstalled it.)

HTH!! :)

Jennifer gave you the correct information on the latest versions of Photoshop and Elements. If you go with CS5, you will find that it is drastically different than Photoshop 7. You pretty much will be learning a whole new program.

Pat and Jennifer put it well. I have CS5 and Photoshop is a whole 'nother world than what I remember with 7.0 - so is InDesign for that matter! I'm still using my InDesign 4 in conjunction with InDesign 5.0 because there were so many changes that I'm still on a big learning curve with it.

I like using CS5 Photoshop though very much.

Jennifer was right, if you can stick with the full version. PSE has gotten so sophisticated that I don't think it would really be any easier to learn. I haven't used PSE since version 6 so I can't tell you all the differences. CS5 has channels and curves and some filters and HDR pro that I don't think PSE has. If you are using it for photo editing, you won't have any trouble using it for scrapping either.

PSE has a lot more features than most people realize. Several of our designers here at SG use it to design products. It has everything most users could ask for and even more. One of the limitations that the casual user comes across in PSE is that you have to keep all of your styles, actions, and shapes loaded all the time. In PSCS5 you can load and unload them individually and easily by double clicking. That PS5 has paths and channels and curves and HDR is only useful if you are a " sophisticated user" and know how to use those features....which you may be. PSCS5 also has content aware healing and cloning tools which sound mightily useful to me. In CS5, you have the ability to create styles, which I find handy, but not absolutely necessary since you can buy superb ones in the boutique for really reasonable prices. Also, CS5 comes with Adobe Bridge, which I find preferable to the Organizer with comes with PSE. (post again if you want me to say why I like the Bridge)

PSE9 has the pen tool, which is well worth learning to use for extracting objects from photos. It also has layer masks which earlier versions don't have. Layer masks allow for non-destructive photo editing to take place....which in my opinion makes it well worth upgrading to from previous versions of PSE.

It has all the healing and cloning tools that CS4 has AND has the content aware healling tools that CS5 has, and it even has most of the same photo filters that PSCS has. In fact, I am pretty sure that PSE9 has all the same tools that PSCS has. It is more powerful and more sophisticated than most people realize.

CS5 is beyond amazing to me and when I read some of the blogs by the "big guys" like John Nack, Deke McClelland, and Scott Kelby I feel like I could spend the next 10 years just learning everything that can be done with it.

The truth is that neither program is intuitive to use and both have really steep learning curves. If you already know that the tools and features mentioned above are important and useful to you, then you probably should go with CS5.

If your main use of the program is healing and cloning and scrapping, you should probably save yourself the $$$ and go with PSE9. (Spend the difference in the boutique LOL that's what I would do.)

Hope that helps.

edited to include new info from Pat

Rose Ann explained it pretty well. I use PSE9, and can do just about anything I want - styles, actions, layer masks, photo adjustments, filters. There are still many functions that I don't even understand yet. I can't imagine having the full version of Photoshop - I think I would be overwhelmed. I was scrapping with Paint Shop Pro before upgrading to PSE, so this is perfect for me :) And the price is so much more reasonable!!

One slight correction to the wonderful information Rose Ann has given is that PSE 9 DOES have a content aware healing brush tool. It's pretty awesome. It is one of the new things that I find I'm using A LOT! :) I don't think the Clone stamp is as sophisticated as PSCS5 is though, but then I haven't used PSCS5.

One slight correction to the wonderful information Rose Ann has given is that PSE 9 DOES have a content aware healing brush tool. It's pretty awesome. It is one of the new things that I find I'm using A LOT! :) I don't think the Clone stamp is as sophisticated as PSCS5 is though, but then I haven't used PSCS5.

I use the content aware healing brush tool in PSE 9 a lot too. Love it! It was one of the reasons I bought PSE 9. :)

THANKS PAT!!! I didn't know that! I have PSE9 (haven't used it yet) and that is a great feature!!! I am looking forward to trying it out! Any special tips? or does it work just like the regular healing tool?

Thanks again!

Loading styles into PSE was one of my biggest frustrations. Keeping all of them loaded can definitely slow it down, especially on a computer that's mroe than a couple of years old. However, there's a workaround that makes them very easy to use. I originally figured this out as a technique for saving styles you've customized in PSE--not normally possible in PSE.

Load all your styles into PSE. Delete or rename the thumbdatabase and start PSE. Give your computer time--this could easily take 15 minutes.

Create a 12x12 document called "StyleSaver" or something like that. On a new layer, draw a square, hexagon, or other shape, perhaps about 3/4" to 1", up near the corner. Rasterize the shape. Using CTRL + J, copy the shape, up to 143 times. Distribute these shapes evenly over the 12x12 document, so you have 144 of them. Now, apply one style to each shape, proceeding in a systematic fashion. NAME the layer to match the style/color/designer. Save the document; you may want to write-protect it to prevent accidentally changing it.

Note 1: you can print the page as a "proof sheet" of your styles; that's handy in PS, also.

Note 2: I suggested 12x12, but you can make a larger document with more shapes, or just another document, or choose an alternate size. Your computer's memory may guide you on the best quantity of layers. I actually do 4x6 size (easy to print for reference) and up to 18 shapes or so, and "clump" similar styles together.

Note 3: I put another shape of gray, beige or pastel UNDER translucent/transparent styles so I can see the effect.

Now you can remove all the styles you've loaded from PSE and rebuild the thumbdatabase again. When you're working on a project and want to use styles, open the StyleSaver document as well. The StyleSaver document has to be a floating window, rather than maximized or docked. Identify the shape with the style of interest and click on it. Drag that Layer from the Layers palette to the new document and release. ALT + CLICK + DRAG to copy the style from the shape to the item of interest. You can drag more than one layer/shape from the StyleSaver document at a time. When you're done, bring the shapes to the bottom or delete them. If you keep the styles you used in the document, it helps you remember which style you used, also.

I know this sounds lengthy, but it's not that onerous, especially when you have lots of styles for PSE and an older computer. While I use mostly PS CS4 on my fast computer, this makes PSE much more productive on my older laptop. I find the proof sheets helpful, too.

Archived