Lost In Pse 9.0

disneymom

I just upgraded to PSE 9.0 from PSE 3.0 so I can use all the cool actions the SG designers are making. But this PSE doesn't look anything like my old one. I am having trouble with basic things like cascading my documents. I have Ro's videos from my 3.0 and have loved them. Should I order the new version (it doesn't go up to 9.0) or is there a good book I should buy (I saw like six on Amazon)? I never thought I would feel too old to figure out new technology.... :{

as a recent convert from PSPX2, i can sympathize with your frustration. To get the cascade thing to work, I had to go into Edit>Preferences>General, and make sure the Allow Floating Documents was checked. What's working for me right now is to utilize the Window>Consolidate All to Tabs option. I can grab the tab of an image I want to transfer to my main document and drag it into my workspace as a floating document, then I can easily drag that over to my main doc. It usually helps me to go through the Preferences option when I use new software, just to get a feel for what it can do. I hope you start feeling comfortable with it soon. I'm sure others have more tips and there are tons of helpful tutorials here too! Good luck.

Dianne gave you good advice on the windows. I will let someone else answer you on the videos - I think the new ones will be very helpful if you are upgrading from PSE 3.0 as there were some changes that are covered even if they don't go specifically up to 9.

The reference book I swear by is The Missing Manual. That will give the basics. After that, you might want to look at How To Cheat in Photoshop Elements 9. But as you say, there are a lot available. Even if you don't have a Kindle, you can get a Kindle app for your computer, and view sample chapters. (Both of the above are available on Kindle.)

And keep asking us questions too! We love to help.

I too am a fan of "The Missing Manuals" series, but so far, I have found about all the help I am needing right here. ;) i am working my way through the video series (secrets 1) though and finding it very helpful!!

I am going to grab my Kindle right now and check. I have both of Ro's 'Secrets' and swear by them. I would not be where I am today without them. (And Anna of course)but one can never have to many books. :rolleyes:

When I get a new piece of software or equipment, I get so excited to learn how to use it! I tend to pick up manuals to go with it. Honestly, when it comes to PSE, though, they collect dust on my shelves. That's because I've found that those manuals aren't specific as to how I want to use the software.

If you're interested in editing and manipulating photos - they're great. But I want to use my software for scrapbooking! I have the one-on-one training, with Deke McClelland, complete with videos, and it's great. The book is 400 pages long with hours and hours of videos. But there are only 7 pages that deal with creating album pages. SEVEN.

If you want to use your software for scrapping, I think your money is better spent on Ro's videos. They are specific for the task.

i do agree with Elisha on the manuals for PSE - most do not cover what you want to do with scrapbooking. i did find a "Picture Yourself Learning" series for PSPX3 a while back and it did help me get a grip on some of the digital stuff (masking, blending, effects, vector editing, etc). I do tend to prefer written tutorials and texts over video tutorials (just my learning style) but the Secret's videos are extremely helpful. I've been making myself do the tasks alongside the video and things are making sense.

Archived