An Army Collection?

Here is the thread I referenced a while back.

Air Force Collection

There are several links to images that you might find useful. I have also shot some photos of my old BDUs for the fabric & a green BDU button if you'd like to see those. I do think it would be a big task, but perhaps if it's taken on as a biggie for elements that span all the branches & then some minis or what have you that are more specific to individual branches... there is no rush for me, my military stash has been on the back burner for a while & I am not in a desprate hurry to work on them. I'd just be happy knowing that something is "in the oven" for later at least. LOL

No cord fabric for me please. I would like some of the common medals, which should be easy enough to find. The main ones I can think of are the "everybody button", I think it was called the National Defense Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, The Good Conduct Medal, Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head for my times. There are plenty more for those involved in wars.

No cord fabric for me please. I would like some of the common medals, which should be easy enough to find. The main ones I can think of are the "everybody button", I think it was called the National Defense Service Medal, the Army Commendation Medal, The Good Conduct Medal, Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head for my times. There are plenty more for those involved in wars.

Oh, my......this is really dating me now! I remember when Rich and I first got married, the women of the AF wore blue pinstriped uniforms! I remember the hats! I actually liked those uniforms!

Wow! What a project to undertake. I'm Adding my 2 cents worth of wants. My father was Army Air Corp and I have never found anything pertaining to them. I do have old pictures of WWII planes I've found, but nothing else. I know the uniform was a Kaiki(?)color. Dress was a kinda of a darkish brown (I'm trying to remember from 60 years ago <_< ) Anything would be much appreciated. :i-love-it:

One of the officers' dress uniforms was called "pinks and greens." The slacks were a kind of pinkish tan, and the jackets were a dark olive green. They were made of tropical worsted wool or gabardine. They also wore an "Ike Jacket." I found some good information by googling. This site has some pictures http://www.alliedflightgear.com/USAAF%20uniforms.html

Rich and I were just talking about the old 1505's - AF khaki uniform - boy, I remember how hard I worked to starch and iron those things! They looked good though.....then........

Before I got smart......and after we had a little change to spare, I used to sew stripes on Rich's uniforms - omigosh! I would pin them on and they would be perfectly straight, but the sewing machine always moved them just a hair ......and I'd have to start all over again! Or was Rich just a perfectionist? He was, really - everything had to be perfect!

I also learned to spit shine his boots - yep! learned - he's the master of telling me I do a better job than he does just to get me to do it!

When we got married, his old barracks roommates told me that I should prepare myself for always having several uniforms at the ready. Didn't mean much to me then - but I remember our closet! His uniforms had to be hung at a certain distance apart - boots were lined up and shined perfectly - I did get used to it and was very proud of my AF guy! I spent most nights when he worked what was then the "swing shift" laundering and starching and ironing uniforms! Somehow I grew to love that job!

Rich tried on his Mess Dress not too long ago, and since his cardiac surgery and the weight he lost, it fit perfectly - brought me to tears - oh, he looked so good in that Mess Dress! Brought back all kinds of memories of functions we attended - I miss it!

Didn't mean to get off the subject here - I'm rambling and thinking about the good old days and they were certainly GOOD days!

One of the officers' dress uniforms was called "pinks and greens." The slacks were a kind of pinkish tan, and the jackets were a dark olive green. They were made of tropical worsted wool or gabardine. They also wore an "Ike Jacket." I found some good information by googling. This site has some pictures http://www.alliedflightgear.com/USAAF%20uniforms.html

Thanks for the link. I visited and learned by Dad's uniform was indeed the 'green and pink.' I think I will ask him if he still has his wings, etc. If so maybe he will let me borrow them. I'm not very good as extracting cleaning, but would give it a shot.

I miss it too Sara. I loved the Army and would have finished at least 20 years if only I didn't get hurt. Shame on you for doing his ironing and spit shining though. LOL. I used to sew my own stripes on too, until I got smart and some money and let the tailors do it. They did a much better job than me.

I miss it too Sara. I loved the Army and would have finished at least 20 years if only I didn't get hurt. Shame on you for doing his ironing and spit shining though. LOL. I used to sew my own stripes on too, until I got smart and some money and let the tailors do it. They did a much better job than me.

hehehe! Karen, I was such a newlywed and the Southern gal in me waited on Rich hand and foot! His Mom fussed at me once when she was visiting - Rich said he was thirsty and as usual, I got up and fixed him a Coke! I'm afraid I set a precedent a long time ago - I still wait on him alot - :giggle_bear: :giggle_bear: He hasn't worked a day that he hasn't asked me to pull down the little dicky that they have to wear with their police uniforms! But I have to say, there have been many, many times in our 45 years together where he had to take over and do everything! When I came home from Duke after extensive surgery on my ankle and was in traction, he went to work, but came home many times during the day to help me to the bathroom and to get my lunch or dinner! GRANTED, the meals were Stouffer's! :giggle_bear: But, I have always been amazed that he was such a Yankee and I am such a Southern gal, that we somehow blend together........funny how that works, huh?

Oh, and his PD uniforms? YEA! They are perma-press (and hot) and they go right from the dryer to a hanger - no ironing there! :giggle_bear:

Archived