Making A Flat Ribbon Look Realistic

In today's newsletter (5/11/2011) one of the products used was Chere Edwards She Sells Sea Shells. On the product page, Chere's layout has a flat ribbon that weaves through a word art label. The spots where the ribbon goes over/under the label appear raised and lighter. Is this achieved by lightening the opacity or is there something else I should know?

I'm using PSE9. Thanks!

Personally, I would use the Dodge and Burn tools to create some shadows where the ribbon goes below the tag and highlights where the ribbon goes over the tag.

I have tried the dodge & burn tools countless times but it never appears to do anything. I think mine is broken. :hit-head-with-hammer:

Personally, I would use the Dodge and Burn tools to create some shadows where the ribbon goes below the tag and highlights where the ribbon goes over the tag.

I have tried the dodge & burn tools countless times but it never appears to do anything. I think mine is broken. :hit-head-with-hammer:

I have not mastered those two yet.

The dodge and burn tools take a little practice (at least they did for me), their use is covered in Katherine Weaver's class: The Art of Painting with Light and Dark. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Try looking at your settings - Dodge set on Highlights and Burn set on Shadows. (Although I have gotten some interesting effectss when I forgot to do that lol.) I use a duplicate layer for each one so I can see the changes.

But Katherine's class is the best!

• 2 years later...

Where is Katherine's class?

Thanks

Lesann

Hi Lesann, Sorry, but Katherine's Art of Painting with Light and Dark class that I mentioned above was back in December of 2009.

Archived