Loving The Flippal!

naninca

I got so excited when I read about this product, and decided to take the plunge! It is such a neat little tool. My all-in-one takes forever to scan, and process on the computer. This little gem scans quickly to a memory card, then I can load onto my computer at my leisure. No more taking photos out of albums or even off the wall. It didn't scan through plastic sleeves very well, so they should be pulled out first.

This thing didn't come a moment too soon. My son asked for 20 childhood photos for a slideshow, oh and can you get them to me by tomorrow? It was a pleasant walk through (film) memory lane, not an overwhelming chore.

It's got its flaws. The "go" button is too big and too easy to press. I had scans of air many times :) It's also not cheap. But, considering the time and frustration I think I'll save while digitizing all my photos (hmm, recipes too?), it'll be worth it.

So glad I read about it here!

Nancy

I almost ordered one...but didn't. This week, I certainly could have used it, (to get photos for a memorial slide show) and am kicking myself for not ordering it earlier. I am ordering one now so I can have it when we go back. LOTS of photos we need to scan!

Have you used it to scan larger photos using the "stitch" feature? Just curious about that.

Thanks for the reminder...off to order now!

I mentioned this scanner to DH and he acknowledged like "right! Another thing we need..."

Then in the hospital waiting for surgery, he mentioned he wanted to scan his books that are out of print to his kindle.

I reminded him that nifty little scanner will do wonderful PAGE copies! We may get one after all! :D

What I like is NO CORD, so I can go down the hall and work from the photo boxes and not haul boxes to the office for working! Nice!

One thing I've wondered.. Has anyone scanned through glass? I have paintings and stuff that are hard to photograph because they are in glass frames which cause a big glare/light spot.

They are difficult (some impossible) to take out of the frames.. I know Naninca said the scanner didn't do well through the plastic sleeves, has anyone tried or had results through glass?

Thanks.

I just gave it a whirl through glass. There were a few speckles (dusting the scanner and the glass first might have helped!) but it came out really well. The first time, I just held it over the photo, the second time I covered the entire thing with a black pillow (since the sun was shining on the photo, and through the scanner). No difference in the quality of the scan. Any dust specks can be removed in processing, I'm thinking. Without glass or plastic would likely be ideal, but sometimes you don't have that option.

The problem I had with the page protectors was that the older, cheaper ones are starting to get a little chalky. The nice quality ones came out just fine.

I REALLY love the cordless part, too. I can go to the photo album, instead of hauling them to the printer.

Happy to answer any further questions!

Nancy

I got mine! Setting it up to try this morning! I have a lot of my DS's HS memorabilia I want to get scanned and then I'm sending him his box of old stuff!

Oh, I so admire you for doing that. Mine won't take their treasures junk.

I just gave it a whirl through glass. There were a few speckles (dusting the scanner and the glass first might have helped!) but it came out really well. The first time, I just held it over the photo, the second time I covered the entire thing with a black pillow (since the sun was shining on the photo, and through the scanner). No difference in the quality of the scan. Any dust specks can be removed in processing, I'm thinking. Without glass or plastic would likely be ideal, but sometimes you don't have that option.

The problem I had with the page protectors was that the older, cheaper ones are starting to get a little chalky. The nice quality ones came out just fine.

I REALLY love the cordless part, too. I can go to the photo album, instead of hauling them to the printer.

Happy to answer any further questions!

Nancy

Thanks for the great info, Nancy! With the older plastic, do you get a polaroid transfer-type of look, or is it just blurry?

Hee Hee.. It appears, Dot that the key is to SEND it and not expect a "take"!

Who doesn't love a surprise box in the mail?... And, by then it's out of your house! :)

I got mine! Setting it up to try this morning! I have a lot of my DS's HS memorabilia I want to get scanned and then I'm sending him his box of old stuff!

Hee Hee.. It appears, Dot that the key is to SEND it and not expect a "take"!

Who doesn't love a surprise box in the mail?... And, by then it's out of your house! :)

Oh, I like the way you ladies think! I must be brave............

Stuff scanned, packaged and ready to ship tomorrow! This little toy is incredible. Not quite the same quality as my fancy schmancy Epson scanner with digital ICE technology, but good enough that just a little enhancement in PS will make fantastic. Its so easy to use. The portability factor is huge! And so far the things through plastic did ok. I think for film and slide stuff, it'll have to be the Epson though.

Stuff scanned, packaged and ready to ship tomorrow! This little toy is incredible. Not quite the same quality as my fancy schmancy Epson scanner with digital ICE technology, but good enough that just a little enhancement in PS will make fantastic. Its so easy to use. The portability factor is huge! And so far the things through plastic did ok. I think for film and slide stuff, it'll have to be the Epson though.

YEA! Good for you, Sandy - I agree, it isn't close to my fancy scanner either but the portability factor is just sooooo cool and such a nice thing to have for those moments when I found myself taking picture frames apart or in another family member's home and wanted a copy of something that I couldn't scan since my scanner wasn't with me - I'll be ready for all of those little moments now!

Dot,

Sorry for the late reply. The photos scanned through old plastic have a slight white haze to them. Best described as "chalky". I can see it in the page protector itself. They aren't blurry, though.

Nancy

I agree, it isn't close to my fancy scanner either but the portability factor is just sooooo cool and such a nice thing to have for those moments when I found myself taking picture frames apart or in another family member's home and wanted a copy of something that I couldn't scan since my scanner wasn't with me - I'll be ready for all of those little moments now!

Totally! This little gem will be going with me the next time we go visit my MIL!

I have boxes of loose photos to scan. Does this work like a flatbed and I have to set them on the plate, cover then scan OR does it just run them through? I can't tell from the literature how it does regular photos.

THanks in advance,

candyK

Hi Candy

Some one will come along who actually has one, but if you go to the Flip Pal site, there is a video you can watch.

It shows you how to use it - really got me even more interested than I already was! :)

I have boxes of loose photos to scan. Does this work like a flatbed and I have to set them on the plate, cover then scan OR does it just run them through? I can't tell from the literature how it does regular photos.

THanks in advance,

candyK

Candy, you can put your photo on the flatbed of the Flip-Pal or you can put the flip pal on top of a photo and scan it.......the cool thing is that you can scan really large photos and then "stitch" them together. It's handy, it's portable, it's very lightweight and scans in 300 and 600 dpi. It's a great little scanner to have in addition to our fancy smanchy ones (as Sandi said so well) - you will love it!

Mine shipped yesterday!! Sure wish I had it last week...it will go with me next time we go out east. Lots of photos to capture there.

Yay, Conda! I'm so happy you decided to go ahead and order one! Fun, fun, fun!

• 1 month later...

Ok I'm anxiously awaiting my order! This runs on batteries right? --what is the power source? What size batteries Or is there a cord option? I have 7 large previously unseen albums to scan and want to be ready to go.

Thanks in advance,

candyK

I love mine! I've been demonstrating it at a ton of meetings, too! I should see if I can get a commission. *g*

You should, Becky! You should!

I love mine too - I just wish I had had it a long time ago - oh, the things I've missed! I keep thinking, "what if I had had my flip-pal with me then...."

Archived