Looking For A Good Inexpensive Point & Shoot

B&K Mom

Anyone have a P&S camera that they love that is less than $200. We're in the market for a new camera. I REALLY want a DSLR (looking at the Nikon D3100), but DH wants something smaller to take on vacation when we're being active and don't want to drag a bigger camera bag around (e.g. Disney). If I can find a good inexpensive camera for him and a good deal on the D3100, I think I could convince him to get BOTH!!! Please help me....I want a fun camera to learn on. ;)

Debbie, I carry my little Canon Powershot SX120 IS in my pocketbook all the time - I cannot remember what I paid for it but I LOVE it......and it's not so heavy it weighs me down more than anything else I carry around all the time.

i absolutely love my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS5. Got it late last summer and I get a lot of mileage out of the manual options (when I'm not too lazy to use them!) Still, a little over $200 but it was a good value for me, as it will be a while b4 i warrant a DSLR! Panasonic is supposed to make a very good lens. Good luck shopping and let us know what you decide on.

I have a Canon SD 600, but have had several other models of that camera and I love it. It is getting old- so I'm sure there is a newer version out there that is better. I really like that it is about the size of a deck of cards. I have a friend who just got a newer model with a more powerful zoom. I don't think it is under $200, but I would love to replace mine with one just like hers. :) And this friend got a Nikon D90 last year- and loves it, but bought the little one for times when she doesn't want to lug around a big camera.

The Canon SD series are really tiny and around ~ $150.00 at Costco nowadays. You can't go wrong with it. I have one to throw in my pocket when i don't want to carry the big one around. Also it's inexpensive enough that I let the kids take it to camp when they go. I love it.

I have a Canon Powershot SX130 which I like very much.

Ditto. I have this one too. Granted, it's not a tiny camera. I carry a smaller-sized bag and it does fit in, but I have to make sure everything is organized in there to get it in. But I love the feel of it in my hand. I tried some of the smaller ones, and they just didn't feel like a camera to me.

It takes FANTASTIC photos and is very easy to use in the automatic setting. It also has some really cool settings. And you have a lot of control in manual mode.

I have a friend that was shopping for a camera when she came to visit me last weekend. She played with mine and then bought one for herself during our visit.

I have a Canon Powershot SX130 which I like very much.

Ditto. I have this one too. Granted, it's not a tiny camera. I carry a smaller-sized bag and it does fit in, but I have to make sure everything is organized in there to get it in. But I love the feel of it in my hand. I tried some of the smaller ones, and they just didn't feel like a camera to me.

It takes FANTASTIC photos and is very easy to use in the automatic setting. It also has some really cool settings. And you have a lot of control in manual mode.

I have a friend that was shopping for a camera when she came to visit me last weekend. She played with mine and then bought one for herself during our visit.

Is the SX 130 the newer, upgraded model for the Canon SX 120, Elisha?

Maybe, Sara. They look very similar. I got it in the fall of last year. Mine has a 12x optical zoom an 12.1 MP. However, I did notice that my friend, although she got an SX130, hers had 13MP. Not that it makes a difference.

Maybe, Sara. They look very similar. I got it in the fall of last year. Mine has a 12x optical zoom an 12.1 MP. However, I did notice that my friend, although she got an SX130, hers had 13MP. Not that it makes a difference.

Oh, how about that? Mine is 12.1 MP as well. I have been very satisfied with the photos it takes. I am basically "manual" and got it after I was missing too many photo ops with the grandchildren. It takes batteries and the lithiums last for a VERY long time. I was looking for a p&s in Best Buy when a customer pointed it out and said he loved his so much that he bought it for all his children. I took it to Hawaii and it was comfortable and easy to use.

Sweet! The optical zoom is the biggest selling point for me, as I attend lots of concerts and things with my DD and really like to get great closeups.

How does it do with natural light, and not using the flash? That's the other feature that's a 'must' for me. I can't use a flash in church, for example, when taking photos for our web site or other archives.

Sweet! The optical zoom is the biggest selling point for me, as I attend lots of concerts and things with my DD and really like to get great closeups.

How does it do with natural light, and not using the flash? That's the other feature that's a 'must' for me. I can't use a flash in church, for example, when taking photos for our web site or other archives.

It takes great photos without the flash. In fact - I rarely use it. You have to physically flip up the flash - and that works well for me, because I don't have to worry about it accidentally flashing when I don't mean for it to - like in those moments you're talking about (church, museums). And it takes AMAZING macro photographs!

One other thing though, it's not super fast. I find that I'm waiting for the camera to be ready sometimes, especially when I don't have fresh batteries (I use 2 sets of rechargable lithium - one always charging and one set in the camera). And it can take longer with the flash. But it's a trade-off. There's a good video review at cnet.com - everything he says there has been my experience with the camera.

I love that it uses AA batteries. I never have to worry about my battery dying and not being able to use the camera for the rest of the day (or trip - what if it happened on a trip to Disney World and you forgot the charger!!!). You can pick up AAs anywhere.

I have the Canon Elph and it was only about $150. It's also known as a Poweshot SD1400 IS. It is the smallest camera...just like a deck of cards and it has a 2.7" LCD. It's 14mp and has zillions of manual settings if you want or lots of auto choices. I have really enjoyed using it. I carry it everywhere, since it fits so easily in my pocket.

Try one....you might like it.

Thanks everyone!! I'm enjoying scurrying around the internet looking at all these great cameras. It's making it hard to choose. Keep 'em coming!

Just to throw in another option, I love my Fuji FinePix Z. It has a lot of options (like a museum setting) plus if you are brave enough it will go Manual.

It does not have an optic viewfinder - you have to use the screen thingy. The battery is rechargable - I got a spare at Best Buy and carry a fully charged extra with me. It is tiny! People will look at you oddly when you are making a serious attempt to set up a shot as it does not look like a serious camera. (Mine is pink just to add to that "snapshots" look lol.)

So it is not perfect, but I love it anyway! I carry it everywhere. I want to go to a DLSR eventually but right now am quite content with this little one.

I LOVE my camera. I too really wanted a camera that I could live easily in my purse at all times for all of those unexpected life moments when its great to have it there.

Here is the camera to get, you can look at my layouts too to see examples of the image quality. My advanced digital photography teacher saw my camera and said "that camera is all you need. Thats a GREAT camera" ... I was so proud. Lol, anyway the pros:

Its very flat and almost tiny

Takes HD image AND

HD Video (I took a great video of the entire thing of World of Color at Disneyland. It handled the light and dark contrast beautifully!)

Great recharging battery... don't give in to the sales man to buy another. One will be fine.

Easy to learn... it can do a bunch of things I don't know how to do yet

Its been on the market for awhile so I'll bet you could find a great deal online on a refab one OR just stop by best buy. They seem to have them there.

Happy shopping!

LisaAnne

I have a little P&S that I love. It is a Fuji Fine Pix. I was looking for a little camera to take when I travel and don't want to carry the big one. The clerk in the store recommended it, and I have never been sorry I bought it. It has a lot of features that I love. I still love my DSLR, especially because of the great zoom lens.

Archived