Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed

Victoria TX

I'm still stumbling around when it comes to my digital scrapbooking so was very excited to see the above cited tutorial on sale. As I've mentioned in another post, I'm currently using PSE 5 and have PSE 9 waiting in the wings to be installed. (Where DOES the time go???) Based on the reading I've done thus far in the reference books I've purchased on the respective software, the interface seems somewhat different between the two versions. Will the tutorials be helpful regardless of which version of Elements one has?

Also, not directly on topic, but thanks to the Scrap Girls for offering "A Narrative Collection" recently. I'm on a tight budget and have had to be conservative in my purchases so I am so grateful for all the feebies. Now I'm thinking that I need to buy the SSS Revealed tutorials so that I can spend more time scrapbooking and less time bumbling and fumbling around in my software. I've yet to install any brushes and have only recently been brave enough to start using the templates I purchased.

Thanks!

Victoria, Melting in Texas

Victoria, Here is a little bit of the information copied/pasted from the product info page for:

Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed: Photoshop Elements - Downloadable version

This tutorial series was especially created to cover versions 6.0, 7.0, 8.0, and 9.0.

Have Photoshop Elements 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, or 5.0? You can use it, as well. Please see the note at the bottom of the page.

This program works for Photoshop Elements 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0 as well. The concepts taught use tools that your software includes. There are slight changes, but you will be able to do almost everything you see. It looks different because Adobe periodically updates the interface. Please contact us at hello@scrapgirls.com if you have questions. We're glad to help!)

Hope this helps you some! :)

I have another question along the same lines.

I have an earlier version of More Secrets - the interface was PSE4.

Is it worth buying the newer More Secrets now that I am getting PSE9? If it is, this is certainly the time to do it!

I'm jumping from PSE5 to PSE9.

thanks!

Someone will probably come along to answer the question who actually knows, where I am just going to tell you what I think.

I'd go ahead and buy both sets. Here's why: you can't go wrong for $12!!! If you already have Scrapbook Secrets for an earlier version I'd probably only get the MORE Scrapbook Secrets Revealed. But even if you buy both sets of videos, you're paying less for both than you'd usually pay for just one.

It's such a tempting deal that I'd buy them both....but I already did TWICE. They are THAT good. I bought both sets way back at PSE 3 and then when I bought CS4 a while ago, I bought both sets for Photoshop.

I know you're not a beginner, Gayle, so I know you wonder if you need them, but really, for $12 you'd have no regrets.

(There's a sample video on the boutique page you could watch if you're interested....also a list of lessons.)

Here's some info from the More SB Secrets page that might come in handy:

NOTE: While this tutorial series was filmed in Photoshop Elements 4.1, the functionality and tools are just the same as later versions. The later versions merely had a "face-lift". Because you will already be well acquainted with the interface appearance for your particular version, this difference should not bother you at all.

And a list of lessons:

• Creating custom documents
  • Multiple methods to quickly color-change ScrapSimple templates
  • Using ScrapSimple templates to make your own backgrounds
  • Using brushes to add interest to layouts
  • Tips and tricks for brush use
  • Tips and tricks for using ScrapSimple Digital Layout Templates
  • Using ScrapSimple Paper Templates and pre-made papers together
  • Using ScrapSimple Photo Templates to add texture
  • Making a textured damask paper
  • Using Layer Your Own brushes to create embellishments
  • Using ScrapSimple Embellishment Templates to create embellishments
  • Sizing multiple photos on a layout correctly
  • Styles: Installing, using, resetting, blending
  • All about Custom Shapes
  • Making wavy text on layouts
  • Advanced Marquee tools
  • Extracting images
  • Linking layers
  • Cleanly coloring brushes and doodles
  • Making unique papers with Patterns (a software function)
  • Using Patterns to quickly fill in layout templates
  • Creating feather-edged photos
  • Creating black burnt-in photo edges
  • Using Adjustment layers
  • Masking text

If you had 5, the Secrets page says this set is for 6, 7, 8, and 9. I know they majorly changed the skin of PSE starting with 6, so you might want to try this set out.

This is the list from the SB Secrets page:

• Manage all of the important basics that you'll need to get started
  • Understand how to save your files for printing and sharing them with your friends and family over the internet
  • Make your own shaped and textured brushes
  • Make your own backgrounds
  • See how easy it is to manage transparent embellishment files that allow digital scrapbooking layouts to look like they are 'real'
  • Be a pro at managing the drop-shadowing techniques that Photoshop Elements provides
  • Make your own torn paper embellishments
  • Be able change the color of your supplies to match your photos
  • Be a pro at repairing damaged photos
  • Know the secret of putting text on a curve
  • Learn three different ways to make rounded edges on your photos
  • Use the most important keyboard and tool short cuts that make using PSE 6.0 and 7.0 a breeze
  • Make unique titles from photos that match your layouts perfectly
  • Unlock the mystery of how to clip a digital paper clip onto your layout so that it looks real
  • Learn how to wrap a ribbon around a photo frame
  • Understand some advanced photo editing techniques including 'levels' and how to have colored elements on a black and white photo
  • Learn how to add depth to papers you create
  • See how fun it is to use clipping masks

Great info! The downloaded version is both less expensive and offers immediate gratification. Does anyone know what format it is in in terms of being able to back up the file to a DVD in the event of a hard drive crash (perish the thought!!!)?

Thanks so much for the responses,

Victoria

Oh, when I looked at the Boutique as someone suggested, I see that the videos come in QuickTime, Windows Media and iPod. I don't have an iPod, but do have the Windows Media Player & I believe QuickTime is already installed on my system as well so I should be able to do my own backup. Thanks again!

Victoria

Here's some info from the More SB Secrets page that might come in handy:

NOTE: While this tutorial series was filmed in Photoshop Elements 4.1, the functionality and tools are just the same as later versions. The later versions merely had a "face-lift". Because you will already be well acquainted with the interface appearance for your particular version, this difference should not bother you at all.

So it sounds like Ro has not re-filmed More Secrets? Does anyone know if she did additional work for the later versions of PSE in the e-book?

OK, downloaded both tutorial packages. WHEW! Video files are so big that the download is quite a process plus I kept boot scootin' out to the kitchen as files were downloading as I'm working on a l-o-n-g delayed pantry purge/cleaning/organizing project. I did download all the files in hopes that maybe an iPod might magically appear in my life one day. |;-) I also immediately created a back up file on a DVD of the zipped files "just in case."

Victoria

No, I didn't add on anything new for More Secrets. It was not necessary to do so because I was discussing skills and functionality that is the same for all versions. By the time someone finishes the first Secrets, they should know their software well and know where to find things. More Secrets teaches more advanced methods of using the software.

HTH!

I've done an initial viewing of the first two videos in the SS Revealed" and realized that I'm a bit confused about one thing. (Well, probably more than one, but...) Ro opens various files, creates a new document and places the papers, embellishments, etc. into her new document. Although it's quite tedious, I've been so worried about accidentally changing my original files so have been going through the exercise of immediately duplicating every darned file that I bring into my photo bin and closing the original file. Is that an unnecessary step? For example, if I bring in the ribbon embellishment, re-size it and "trim" off the excess ribbon that goes beyond a photo frame, am I only impacting that layer within my new document rather than changing the original embellishment file itself? I don't want to, say, crop a 12x12 paper down to 3x4 and discover that I've goofed up the original and can only use it in its new, tiny size.

I am so excited about having these videos available at a great price. Although I have some excellent books about photo editing, they don't specifically speak to digital scrapbooking and using templates and so on like these videos do. Wish I'd invested in them earlier as I would have avoided a lot of trial-and-error learning.

Thanks, Y'All!

Victoria

If you resize, crop, erase etc BEFORE you copy it to the new document it can change the file but only if you save it over the original file. Usually a box will pop up asking if you want to overwrite the original file.

However, when you copy a file into a new document, it will not change the original file...because it is a copy rather than the actual file itself.

I hope this helps you!

Tonya is right. Usually what I do is just drag the item (paper, embellishment, template, word art, etc.) onto the document that I have set up to work on where I can resize, crop, re-color,etc., then I just close the original file. HTH :)

No, I didn't add on anything new for More Secrets. It was not necessary to do so because I was discussing skills and functionality that is the same for all versions. By the time someone finishes the first Secrets, they should know their software well and know where to find things. More Secrets teaches more advanced methods of using the software.

HTH!

I'm still amazed at how often I refer to these - I need a private tutor, I think! I'm constantly finding something new in all of them.

Archived