Congratulations Michele (Reminiscing)!

CRS

Congratulations Reminiscing (Michele)! The Scrap Girls Team has chosen Michele as the Member of the Month for June!

Michele has been a faithful member of Scrap Girls since February 2007! She is very active in challenges and swaps. Michele is fun to chat with in the chat room and is very helpful in the Photography Forum. Michele is a huge asset to Scrap Girls and Scrap Girls just wouldn't be the same without her!

Michele will receive a $10 gift certificate to the Scrap Girls Boutique and has the honor of wearing the Member of the Month blinkie!

When you have a few minutes Michele, please tell us a little about yourself and share a link to your favorite layout! Thank you for making Scrap Girls a wonderful, friendly place! Congratulations!!

Wow, this is an awesome surprise! wub.gif I have indeed been an active member here for many years and I credit Scrapgirls with teaching me how to digi-scrap. The early years are a little hazy in my memory, but I think I might have discovered SG in an ad in a magazine soon after I discovered there was a such thing as digi-scrapping. (I was a paper scrapper before digital.) But at first I was only subscribed to the newsletter. Even as a newbie I recognized the high quality of the designs here, and who can pass up daily freebies? tongue.gif Then, when I finally subbed to the forum in Feb 2007, I was still quiet, as I am in real life, and slow to get involved. I was also busy with two young daughters and a newborn son at that time.

My very first layout I posted here at Scrapgirls is of my son, Sweet Sleeping Ian, and I count it among my favorites actually (but I will choose a more recent for my current favorite). Looking at it again just now, I am reminded of one of the reasons I stuck around. I got so many encouraging comments.

A year after I joined, I signed up for Anna Mansfield's design principles class, and that's when my scrapping took off. Also, around that time, I finally figured out how to subscribe to forums here, so I could be informed of all the challenges. Participating in challenges really helped my digi-scrappin' skills too. My favorite message board challenges have been Jumpstart January and Re-JUNE-venate (so I had two items of great news from SG this morning!). [Thanks Tonya for PMing me biggrin.gif that's how I knew to come here so quickly.]

If you browse through my gallery you will see my three children and my husband. My husband and I met online (remember the Prodigy ISP?) back in 1994. So you can see that I have been a fan of the internet as a way to connect with people for a long time. I grew up in San Diego, a third generation native. My great grandparents, my mom's mom's parents, moved to San Diego from Nebraska just before my Grandma was born in 1923. After I got my elementary teaching credential (which took a year and a half beyond my B.A. in psychology), I moved up to Los Angeles, where my husband and I lived together and I taught primary grades for 5 years before moving to Virginia in 2000. I loved living in Glendale, where we lived for most of those 5 years, within walking distance of everything. But we wanted to start our family in a house instead of a small apartment, and he had a job offer in VA, so we moved all the way across the country. And prior to that, I'd only been east of the Rockies twice, and both of those were with my husband! Our children were born in 2001, 2003, and 2006. Now I'm keeping busy homeschooling, aspiring to be a photographer, still thinking about being a doula (pregnancy/childbirth/newborns is one of my oldest passions), and scrapping. I've been naming my occupation, "family historian."

Thanks for the trip down memory lane writing this required. I love doing that. Now you also know why I chose my screen name. (Although sometimes I think I should have chosen something easier to spell!) I hope this isn't too long. I also like writing. I love pictures. I love writing. I love reminiscing. It's no wonder I have been scrapbooking since I was a kid.biggrin.gif

It's hard to choose one layout over all others, but this speed scrap I did in April is one of my best recent layouts, I think.

gallery_6765_584_83736.jpg

Speed Scrap April 2011 - Government Island Tour

p.s. If you're not tired of reading about me laugh.gif there's another big part of me. I love to read. I read a lot online, but my love of books dates back to early elementary school (late 70s, in Lemon Grove, CA), where I had a fabulous school librarian. Here are some books I'm currently reading. For the third time, I'm reading through the Harry Potter series with my girls. Since the beginning of March, I've been savoring Patrick Rothfuss' Wise Man's Fear. My husband introduced that to me when he bought it, and the first book in the series, Name of the Wind, which I devoured on our vacation the first week of March. They're long long long books and, since there are other things I've been wanting to read and the first two books were published years apart, I figured there's no rush to finish. For a book club recently, I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which was fabulous. Finally, in small bits here and there (like while waiting for my daughter in singing class), I'm reading A Short History of the World, which caught my attention on the bargain shelves at Borders bookstore. How could a history of the whole world fit in a paperback book? The text is small, but still... LOL Well, I've only gotten as far as the beginning of recorded history, but it's quite good so far.

Thanks again for this honor, and thanks to everyone at Scrapgirls who participates, shares, inspires, and encourages!

p.s.s. I'm also a perfectionist who often takes too long to post a message or write an email because I keep re-reading it and changing things. biggrin.gif

Wow, this is an awesome surprise! wub.gif I have indeed been an active member here for many years and I credit Scrapgirls with teaching me how to digi-scrap. The early years are a little hazy in my memory, but I think I might have discovered SG in an ad in a magazine soon after I discovered there was a such thing as digi-scrapping. (I was a paper scrapper before digital.) But at first I was only subscribed to the newsletter. Even as a newbie I recognized the high quality of the designs here, and who can pass up daily freebies? tongue.gif Then, when I finally subbed to the forum in Feb 2007, I was still quiet, as I am in real life, and slow to get involved. I was also busy with two young daughters and a newborn son at that time.

My very first layout I posted here at Scrapgirls is of my son, Sweet Sleeping Ian, and I count it among my favorites actually (but I will choose a more recent for my current favorite). Looking at it again just now, I am reminded of one of the reasons I stuck around. I got so many encouraging comments.

A year after I joined, I signed up for Anna Mansfield's design principles class, and that's when my scrapping took off. Also, around that time, I finally figured out how to subscribe to forums here, so I could be informed of all the challenges. Participating in challenges really helped my digi-scrappin' skills too. My favorite message board challenges have been Jumpstart January and Re-JUNE-venate (so I had two items of great news from SG this morning!). [Thanks Tonya for PMing me biggrin.gif that's how I knew to come here so quickly.]

If you browse through my gallery you will see my three children and my husband. My husband and I met online (remember the Prodigy ISP?) back in 1994. So you can see that I have been a fan of the internet as a way to connect with people for a long time. I grew up in San Diego, a third generation native. My great grandparents, my mom's mom's parents, moved to San Diego from Nebraska just before my Grandma was born in 1923. After I got my elementary teaching credential (which took a year and a half beyond my B.A. in psychology), I moved up to Los Angeles, where my husband and I lived together and I taught primary grades for 5 years before moving to Virginia in 2000. I loved living in Glendale, where we lived for most of those 5 years, within walking distance of everything. But we wanted to start our family in a house instead of a small apartment, and he had a job offer in VA, so we moved all the way across the country. And prior to that, I'd only been east of the Rockies twice, and both of those were with my husband! Our children were born in 2001, 2003, and 2006. Now I'm keeping busy homeschooling, aspiring to be a photographer, still thinking about being a doula (pregnancy/childbirth/newborns is one of my oldest passions), and scrapping. I've been naming my occupation, "family historian."

Thanks for the trip down memory lane writing this required. I love doing that. Now you also know why I chose my screen name. (Although sometimes I think I should have chosen something easier to spell!) I hope this isn't too long. I also like writing. I love pictures. I love writing. I love reminiscing. It's no wonder I have been scrapbooking since I was a kid.biggrin.gif

It's hard to choose one layout over all others, but this speed scrap I did in April is one of my best recent layouts, I think.

gallery_6765_584_83736.jpg

Speed Scrap April 2011 - Government Island Tour

p.s. If you're not tired of reading about me laugh.gif there's another big part of me. I love to read. I read a lot online, but my love of books dates back to early elementary school (late 70s, in Lemon Grove, CA), where I had a fabulous school librarian. Here are some books I'm currently reading. For the third time, I'm reading through the Harry Potter series with my girls. Since the beginning of March, I've been savoring Patrick Rothfuss' Wise Man's Fear. My husband introduced that to me when he bought it, and the first book in the series, Name of the Wind, which I devoured on our vacation the first week of March. They're long long long books and, since there are other things I've been wanting to read and the first two books were published years apart, I figured there's no rush to finish. For a book club recently, I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett, which was fabulous. Finally, in small bits here and there (like while waiting for my daughter in singing class), I'm reading A Short History of the World, which caught my attention on the bargain shelves at Borders bookstore. How could a history of the whole world fit in a paperback book? The text is small, but still... LOL Well, I've only gotten as far as the beginning of recorded history, but it's quite good so far.

Thanks again for this honor, and thanks to everyone at Scrapgirls who participates, shares, inspires, and encourages!

p.s.s. I'm also a perfectionist who often takes too long to post a message or write an email because I keep re-reading it and changing things. biggrin.gif

Congratulations, Michele!!! You SO DESERVE this! Enjoy your special month! And, I have to say, I enjoyed reading EVERY word you wrote about yourself and the LO is FANTASTIC!! *doing a happy dance in your honor* :party-smiley-048: :party-smiley-048:

Archived