June 2011 Forum Game - Re-June-Venate

tiza126

Task 18

Spend a few minutes in your scrapping software learning how to do something new. You can use the ScrapGirls University, the ScrapGirls Newsletter tutorials, your software manual or simply play around with your software.

Requirement: Briefly share what you've learned in this thread.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task 15 done

SG University Instructor Jene Parks loves all things creative. Her passion for learning led her to embark on a two year design course which opened the door to making soft furnishings for two leading house builders in the UK for their show houses. Nice to meet you Jene!

Task 16 done

Father's Day was a good opportunity to take lots of pics of family, the yard and a flower arrangement from my son. One technique I experimented with was to open up the lense by using my camera in Appeture mode to let in more light.

Task #18. I found a tutorial in the SG University by Durin Eberhart, on using gradients and SS Paper Templates to create backgrounds. Since I haven't used gradients much at all, I thought it would be good for me to spend a little time playing with this one.

TASK # 2 - COMPLETED!

For the attached pic, I selected the warmer using Point-toPoint Freehand Selection, and then inverted the selection so that the remainder of the photo was selected. I used the Time Machine, under Photo Effects, to age that selection, then I inverted the selection BACK to the warmer and adjusted the saturation of the photo so that it had more of a pink look to it, as this was lost when the photo was snapped.

I looked around the SG University and read up a little on Textures. A while back I went to the hardware store with my camera and took some pictures there of wood and nails,tile, a bucket of sharpies, plants etc. .. so I played with those a bit first cropping them, turned to b&w then just played around with Filter>Artistic options in PSE. Still just playing around though.

I also browsed the Fonts section and downloaded a couple free fonts there in the University and thought I would try out the Font thing. So now I'm just learning that program a little.

So . . . Task #18 done.

Task 18: Complete

I tried using the Lasso tool in my PE6 to trim a photo on a background when I was making Miniature Candy covers from Syndee Nuckles Assorted Candy wraps.

I always used to just use the crop tool to cut a paper, but this was so easy - I put the photo on the background and cropped it right there to the exact dimensions I needed right on the template! Great!

** Edited June 22

So sorry -- I played with, learned about and used the tool, but gave it the wrong name in this post!

The tool I used was the Rectangular Marquee Tool.

Task 18 done

Today I played around in Lightroom and found a little button in the upper-left corner of the "Tone Curve" section. When you click that little button, and then drag on a specific area in your photo, it adjusts the tone curve up or down as you wish, customized for the area you selected. Very nice! No more eyeballing it manually.

Task 19 - LAYOUT

Use the photos from Task #17 and the technique you learned in Task #18 to create a layout.

Requirement: Post layout in the gallery and post link in this game thread.

Archived