June 2011 Forum Game - Re-June-Venate

tiza126

Task 15

Laurel Lakey, our layout artist team coordinator, lives where I grew up, in southern California, and in college she worked in a photography studio in Utah, where she learned about Photoshop.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Task 15: Complete

I recently sent a PM to product designer Lori Cook about a Collection. She answered quickly and kindly so I decided to read up on her.

Lori loves art and animals and has authored an animal rights book. She has tried all kinds of crafts, but then was bitten by the "graphics bug".

She is (very impressively!) a self-taught graphic artist who uses Paint Shop Pro to create her designs.

Task 16

Spend a few minutes taking photos with special attention to lighting, composition, vantage point, etc in an effort to take your photography to a slightly new level.

Requirement: Post to this thread describing one technique you used.

Tomorrow is a day for you to catch up or catch your breath! The next task will be posted on Monday by another Welcoming Committee member!

Task 15

I'm afraid I got distracted reading about all the people involved with Scrap Girls. I've been watching posts from Ngaire and the earthquakes they have been experiencing. I was wondering how she pronounced pronounced her name - sure enough - I found out..

Ngaire (pronounced “Ni-Ree”) has been with Scrap Girls since July '06 and was welcomed onto the Welcoming Committee in September '08.

Ngaire lives way down under in Oxford on the South Island of New Zealand.

TASK 16: done

Lighting was a challenge, but I got in close to my son's paint brush to get that "action" shot of the work we are doing in the downstairs bathroom. I liked the angle of the photo & it's a focus I don't always think of - I spend most of my time focused on the people (which is fine) but sometimes the important part of the memory is the task at hand.

Okay, I'm ridiculously far behind, but I'm determined to catch-up! :disappearing-smilie:

TASK #8 Done.

Scraplift: Twinkletoes’ Cousins...Jasmine and Hana (I have wanted to try blending photos into backgrounds, but have never been brave enough. I guess now is as good a time as any to try it.)

Here is my layout.

TASK #10 Done

My Grandfather has just been placed under Hospice care. The photos that I chose are ones that I have been putting off scrapping for quite awhile, but now need to do ASAP. Here is one:

I got hung up on the LO so I'm skipping ahead for now.

TASK #15 Done

Cindy Drake--Staff Editor (CindyLuWho)

“Because I'm a newbie to digital scrapping, I feel I bring a unique perspective to the editing task. If I can understand the steps in a tutorial, then anyone can!” Thank you, Cindy! That perspective is greatly appreciated.

Task 16 - complete.

I spent some time taking nature photos with the macro lens on my point and shoot camera. I had to frame the photo differently and use the LCD sceen (which I've rarely done). I also had to position myself to various spots in order to get the best lighting on the pics, as it was early morning sun.

Task #16 Done. I took early morning photos in the yard on Saturday. I concentrated mostly on composition, finding the right angle and placement for each flower. The natural lighting was very good, as it was a little overcast. On Sunday I took photos at my daughter's pool, concentrating on getting good photos in the harsh midday light, mainly by positioning myself.

Task #16 complete!

I spent some time exploring the macro setting on my camera. I also spent time outdoors in late afternoon paying special attention to shadows and reflections as well as natural shapes. This was a good task for me, since I usually just "aim and shoot".

Task 16 complete -

I decided to review my camera manual to learn something I'd been meaning to find out. I hadn't learned yet how to change the focal point. I've just been using the center focus point and recomposing all the time. So I set up some toys at varying distances and practiced. It actually felt cumbersome to be pushing buttons to change the focal point and I'm not sure I want to switch.

While I was there in the manual, I found that the page before the one I was reading discusses changing the AF mode and I read that too. I understand a bit better now the difference between "One Shot" for still subjects and "AI Servo" for moving subjects. However, I didn't find AI Servo working all that well for capturing my 4 year old son as he played. I still got a lot of blurry shots.

But I keep at it! And slowly but surely, I'm getting it!

Task #15 was quite the speedbump for me. I did get it done though.

I finally got around the pop up and then spent a lot of time looking up all the incredibly talented people who work on SG's. I was very impressed with all the talent!!! So if I have to post one thing I learned from the many it's from April. I got the hint that she was a sewer from chats and stuff, but I had no idea!! WOW!! Costumes and Wedding dresses, formals and "If you watch the Joffrey Ballet School’s Nutcracker, the flower costumes are her handiwork."

I took pictures over the weekend at a family gathering we had, lots of kids running around. I thought we would be stuck indoors, but it turned into an absolutely gorgeous day!! We had a lot of sunshine here and so I tried out a tip I heard, using a flash outside even the when it's not up close to help control the shadows. It seamed to work and I am happy with some of the shots I got!!

Task #16 done!

Archived