Photoshop / Indesign?

tinkerbell11

If you have a doc created in Photoshop (and it is saved as a PSD, JPG, or PNG) you can work on it in PSE. (Photoshop is basically PSE with more bells, whistles and conveniences.) InDesign is a desktop publishing program, basically used to do layouts with lots of text and some images (newsletters, brochures, books, etc.). Usually, graphics are created in PS or AI and then imported into InDesign and then mixed with text. An InDesign file can only be opened in InDesign.

Shannon,

In simplest terms, Photoshop is a is a graphics editor. It is best suited to editing pixel based graphics, but can work with some vector graphics as well. PSE is the "Home" version of Photoshop. And I know you are familiar with PSD's.

Illustrator is a vector based drawing program. It will not edit pixel based images. It's file format is .ai or eps and those cannot be opened in PS. But you can save a photoshop document as an eps file that can be opened in Illustrator.

InDesign is essentially a desktop publishing program that you would use to layout magazines and newspapers or books. It uses .indd as it's file format.

You can probably import PSDs into Illustrator and Indesign, but not the other way around.

Whether or not you can open it in PSE depends on how it was saved. You know how in PSE you can save as a PNG or a GIF or JPEG or whatever is on the list? If the document you want to open is in one of those formats, you can probably open it in PSE.

HTH

Shannon,

In simplest terms, Photoshop is a is a graphics editor. It is best suited to editing pixel based graphics, but can work with some vector graphics as well. PSE is the "Home" version of Photoshop. And I know you are familiar with PSD's.

Illustrator is a vector based drawing program. It will not edit pixel based images. It's file format is .ai or eps and those cannot be opened in PS. But you can save a photoshop document as an eps file that can be opened in Illustrator.

InDesign is essentially a desktop publishing program that you would use to layout magazines and newspapers or books. It uses .indd as it's file format.

You can probably import PSDs into Illustrator and Indesign, but not the other way around.

Whether or not you can open it in PSE depends on how it was saved. You know how in PSE you can save as a PNG or a GIF or JPEG or whatever is on the list? If the document you want to open is in one of those formats, you can probably open it in PSE.

HTH

Shannon, what Rose Ann said! I use Photoshop as the "drawing board" for my layouts but I use InDesign to do my final layout - all of my layouts are finished in InDesign because I learned how to use it long before I started using Photoshop - it's a powerful program and while mostly used for graphic art layouts as Rose Ann said, you can do an entire layout in it as well. You can save what you do in InDesign in almost any format which makes it extremely versatile.

• 1 month later...

I just saw this thread and wanted to ad my Indesign loyalty: I use Indesign for most of my scrapbooking even though I'm quite advanced with photoshop. The Indesign quick keys are fast for me and is far less likely to crash than Photoshop. I use it when I want to make a layout that is ultimately about the photos and doesnt involve bells and whistles like brushes or masking. I can still use the beautiful scrapgirls papers and elements and my I feel like I can spend so much more time creating rather then waiting for photoshop to think. Its not for everyone but it is indeed a great tool.

All the best,

I just saw this thread and wanted to ad my Indesign loyalty: I use Indesign for most of my scrapbooking even though I'm quite advanced with photoshop. The Indesign quick keys are fast for me and is far less likely to crash than Photoshop. I use it when I want to make a layout that is ultimately about the photos and doesnt involve bells and whistles like brushes or masking. I can still use the beautiful scrapgirls papers and elements and my I feel like I can spend so much more time creating rather then waiting for photoshop to think. Its not for everyone but it is indeed a great tool.

All the best,

I'm so happy to see that someone else uses InDesign as do I, LisaAnne! I don't know what I'd do without it either. And I agree with what you said about creating rather than waiting for Photoshop to think! I've just used it for so many years I don't know how to do it any other way!

I've never even heard of InDesign before. It sounds interesting! I will be retiring from my day job in just under 2 years and am exploring business options for after I am retired. I am considering Scrap 4 Hire as a piece of that, or maybe even digital product designing. I was curious about Illustrator too so thanks to Rose Ann and all for the great explanations! SG is such a great place to learn new things!

I've never even heard of InDesign before. It sounds interesting! I will be retiring from my day job in just under 2 years and am exploring business options for after I am retired. I am considering Scrap 4 Hire as a piece of that, or maybe even digital product designing. I was curious about Illustrator too so thanks to Rose Ann and all for the great explanations! SG is such a great place to learn new things!

Brenda, I do hope you will check Indesign out - I know you will like it and it will come easily to you since you are a Photoshop user....it is such a versatile and powerful application. I used it long before I used my Photoshop - for years it was just Indesign and Illustrator that I used together and I still do use Illustrator too but my final layout is always in Indesign. If there's anything I can tell you about it just pm me and ask and I will try and answer your questions - I promise you will love it!

Archived